ReefCleaners.org

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I wouldn't say a load, but I've spent my fair share in the last few months...lol! I do hide the invoices from the ol' lady!

My wife thinks Rotigrow comes out of the tap here at my house.

And yes - I'm ordering the 1 liter bag at each order. Anything smaller does not make sense for me.

hooligan_78

I started buying the 32 oz RGComplete too. Was going through it too fast. I don't have any fry right now, so I'm only feeding my rots once a day. I need to do something different with my tile for the ocellaris, idiots are laying eggs on the bottom of the tank now.

baileybum1234

Hi guys I dont know whats happening with the fry the timing is all out. They do seam bigger than the last few batches and have been in eggs longer by 3 days. 2 hatched last night and I expect the rest to hatch tonight. They always seam to hatch over 2 nights. I definately need to start using the tile method. I have been up late the last 2 nights and expect the same tonight even using my larval snagger.

Has any one had experience of adding fry to tank water taken the day before? All I have done is added some of the rottigreen and some rottifers.

Thanks

Jarrett

Edited by baileybum1234

I usually pull my pots on or around day 4 and continue the normal light cycle with the eggs. I often have a couple that will hatch early and the rest on the next evening (day 7)

Getting the pair used to a pot or tiles has many advantages and you get more time to sleep. Plus if you have the m all in the larvae tank to hatch you get a better picture of what's going on and exactly how many are hatching. I won't feed until the main hatch as I don't want to fowl the eggs for just two or three fry that hatched early. But I typically still see those fry swimming prior to lights out for the main hatch - so I'm not sure it they are making it but they seem to do just fine.

baileybum1234
Right off I'd suggest increasing your air flow - you don't want the fry competing with rotifers for air.

I have a trickle,you say crank it up?

post-38324-1344119940_thumb.jpg

Hard to see but better?

are you using an air wand? IF so I'd ditch that and just add a stone nozzle - 1" - 2" and suspend that in the water. In my 10g the nozzle is against the back wall and the bubbles reach more then half way across the tank.

baileybum1234
are you using an air wand? IF so I'd ditch that and just add a stone nozzle - 1" - 2" and suspend that in the water. In my 10g the nozzle is against the back wall and the bubbles reach more then half way across the tank.

Half way across the tank? I was worried that I would batter the fry to death? I will get an air stone added in the morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Jarrett

baileybum1234

post-38324-1344121094_thumb.jpg

Half way across the tank? I was worried that I would batter the fry to death? I will get an air stone added in the morning.

Thanks for the advice.

Jarrett

ok added a bigger air pump hope it will suffice till the morning when I can get down the local pet shop.

J

Funny you should say that. I had my heater and wand on the front wall and was worried the fry were getting battered by the air so I moved it to the end today. I think the fry are toughter that I think,. I also positioned the light to attract them away from the heater/air.

Day 1 through 3 it probably isn't as big of a deal - but afterwards as your rots start to populate the tank it's more important to have that increased air flow - I thought it was a lot at first too but it works just fine.

Followed followed followed followed...I am looking into starting a small breeder, so I am excited to see how this will turn out!

Only downside is there are so many pages to read! ughhh

Followed followed followed followed...I am looking into starting a small breeder, so I am excited to see how this will turn out!

Only downside is there are so many pages to read! ughhh

Welcome along!!! Good news is that I have a cliffs notes version stickied at the top of this forum if you want the short read. What part of OC are you in? I moved out from HB about 4 years ago.

baileybum1234
Day 1 through 3 it probably isn't as big of a deal - but afterwards as your rots start to populate the tank it's more important to have that increased air flow - I thought it was a lot at first too but it works just fine.

Woke up this morning to check little fry. In the 2 minuites I first started watching them I have seen more striking than the last 5 batches all togeather. There flying round like kids in a theme park striking at the rottifers left, right and centre. I would say I have had the air flow way to low in a fear they would be hurt.

Thanks pickle for that little gem of information im really glad I posted a picture now.

Ok so I just keep the water nice and green and try to keep an eye on the rottifers and keep them topped up.

I am also going to be adding a powdered fry food from ZM (UK supplier we have here) in the hope it might be like the stuff you guys are using and help them along a little.

That's great to hear!

I tint my larvae tanks like I do my rots buckets - don't over do it. It's OK if the water lightens up a bit over the course of the day - you just don't want it to get almost clear.

I usually start the dry food right around day 4 - I think that the air flow will also entice the fry to strike as the food is moving in the flow.

Keep posting your progress - but it sounds like you are off to a solid start.

baileybum1234
That's great to hear!

I tint my larvae tanks like I do my rots buckets - don't over do it. It's OK if the water lightens up a bit over the course of the day - you just don't want it to get almost clear.

I usually start the dry food right around day 4 - I think that the air flow will also entice the fry to strike as the food is moving in the flow.

Keep posting your progress - but it sounds like you are off to a solid start.

I think I have over done it on the phyto in the fry tank I was going for the greener the better added about 4ml.

I didnt manage to get an air stone but tried a wooded air block. I think the bubbles are too fine and saw a fry with a bubble caught on its nose and struggling to swim so I swapped it back to the wand for now. I will get an air stone from ebay for the next batch. The flow is rapid in the fry tank with the wand they were enjoying it this morning I guess its no worse than the ocean. I am still thinking slower moving rotts are easier to catch. Its hard to see the fry and rotts because of the phyto.

Really is a mine field, bearing in mind its my 6th batch I really was barking up the wrong tree in some areas before.

So when should I start to think of cleaning and water changes. I have a seachem monitor and thats in the yellow at the moment.

Im still not 100% any will survive and trying to be open for anything otherwise. Its so more encouraging when you can see them charging about eating, now I have added a little too mutch phyto im not sure if there alive or dead.

Edited by baileybum1234

How much water did you start with in the tank? is it a 10g? what is that 37L?

At any rate I typically start my water changes by adding water that is mixed to a slightly lower salinity on or about day 5. I add close to a gallon a day (dripped in) Once the tank starts to fill I start vacuuming out the same amount per day and replacing it with fresh mixed salt water.

I use the lower salinity water to compensate for evaporation - if your salinity isn't increasing then match the salinity of your water for water changes.

If you think your tank is too green right now - add some rots and drip in some fresh mixed water.

baileybum1234
How much water did you start with in the tank? is it a 10g? what is that 37L?

At any rate I typically start my water changes by adding water that is mixed to a slightly lower salinity on or about day 5. I add close to a gallon a day (dripped in) Once the tank starts to fill I start vacuuming out the same amount per day and replacing it with fresh mixed salt water.

I use the lower salinity water to compensate for evaporation - if your salinity isn't increasing then match the salinity of your water for water changes.

If you think your tank is too green right now - add some rots and drip in some fresh mixed water.

Its a UK 10 gallon about 45l and it was filled half way when the fry were added.

I am dripping in 1litre of RO very slowly and have now added some more rotts. I turned off the pump and saw at least 3 swimming about.

Ok I will hold off for water changes and drip in some fresh mixed salt water around day 5.

you should be monitoring your ammonia - and basing your water change schedule around that. I do use prime to help offset the ammonia in addition to the water changes.

You'll see that in a week the tank will get pretty dirty as the sides and bottom of the tank turn green. I always use a fresh clean bucket when pulling water out as well just in case I pull any fry out through the line.

IN other news...

Have I mentioned that Marine Depot Rocks? I've been ordering from them for over 6 years now and they never let me down yet. Even the cheapest shipping option gets out to me fast and the customer service from those guys is second to none.

hooligan_78

Yes they do. I had a problem with an Azoo product some years back that they mediated and got resolved rather quickly.

Earlier, you asked about the RGComplete, it seems okay. Since I really only feed once a day, and have no fry right now. I like the additves in it, but did have trouble when I was using it for green water, which, I found out is no bueno.