Pod Your Reef

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I can't afford a new building on the property right now either... but I do have an existing 30 X 40 workshop so the plan is to convert a portion of it.

In other news... here is something that I thought was a little weird...

My Snows had been spawning on a 9 day cycle.. every 9 days they spawned and 7 days later the eggs hatched then 2 after they spawned again. Well some time ago the pair starting eating the eggs around day 5 or 6 so I got in the habit of pulling the pot on day 4. It's been working out great but get this...

They spawned on new years eve and I pulled the eggs a couple of days ago for a hatch tonight... to my surprise they spawned again today. The old eggs haven't even hatched yet (tonight) and I already have a new nest. I've never had two sets of eggs from the same pair going at the same time.

okay so your pulling the pot out on day 4, how do you manage to keep the eggs from turning white or going bad? ive tried that twice i think and ive had them go bad next day, i tried to put bubbler on them and eben tried it to opposite bubbler away both times unsuccessful?? what am i missing here

Eileen turned me on :naughtydance: (sorry Eileen) to a 4" bubble stick that you get at Walmart. It's hard plastic blue on one side and has the air stone material on the top. I use pots with the backs cut off and insert the bubble stick upside down (don't ask me why it works better that way - just does) on a medium trickle of air right on the eggs. With the back off - I know I can get the bubbles to hit in the right spot. I've gone 3 and even 4 days and still had great hatches.

Eileen turned me on :naughtydance: (sorry Eileen) to a 4" bubble stick that you get at Walmart. It's hard plastic blue on one side and has the air stone material on the top. I use pots with the backs cut off and insert the bubble stick upside down (don't ask me why it works better that way - just does) on a medium trickle of air right on the eggs. With the back off - I know I can get the bubbles to hit in the right spot. I've gone 3 and even 4 days and still had great hatches.
looks like ill be at walmart tommorrow,,thanks for the heads up!

You're forgiven! :P

My picassos usually hatch out over two nights, so when I pull theirs, I usually put the pot in a small tupperware container with some of the parent's water and then add 2 drops of methylene blue. I only let them sit in it for a few minutes before moving the pot to a hatching tank. I make sure not to transfer any of the blue water. I think it helps keep the eggs fungus-free for an extra night. As a side note, I have a second picasso pair that I've had for 2 years that just had their first nest earlier this week.One is a snowcasso and the other is an A+ both from Doni. I'm curious to see what they'll produce!

ryancmatchett
Thanks... I try.

In other news...

The new black and whites are spawning right now!!!

Her first few with me were like that....but then they started to get bigger. How is that first nest?

Her first few with me were like that....but then they started to get bigger. How is that first nest?

I didn't hatch the first one - never pulled the pot. The nest was really thin and scattered so I figured she was just out of practice. They are eating like pigs and should spawn again any time. I moved them yesterday but they are in the same exact tank - nothing changed so I hope it doesn't throw them off. I just moved them to get the new brood stock system in the house.

:wub:

Right on... can't wait to see what you get out of that pairing either... I bet you get some pretty awesome babies!

My picassos usually hatch out over two nights, so when I pull theirs, I usually put the pot in a small tupperware container with some of the parent's water and then add 2 drops of methylene blue. I only let them sit in it for a few minutes before moving the pot to a hatching tank. I make sure not to transfer any of the blue water. I think it helps keep the eggs fungus-free for an extra night. As a side note, I have a second picasso pair that I've had for 2 years that just had their first nest earlier this week.One is a snowcasso and the other is an A+ both from Doni. I'm curious to see what they'll produce!

interesting,,, tonight i went and checked on picasso nest and still no fry swimming, so i pulled the pot put bubbler on them see what happens in the am.... arrggggg

I've had success with pulling the best on day 1. No methylene blue use either. You just have to bubble them strong and change the water every day so you get no build up

Congrats on the double hatch pickle

Christo was trying me that his layed every 6-7 days when he piled the nest on day one. I have only did this twice but have not tried in a while.

I guess expansion is the new years theme

I just built a new table for 18 more tanks but might be putting my house for sale to try and move on the water. So as you can see expansion is on hold

LOL... Rich you're in Florida... how much closer to the water do you want to get? Sheesh!

(no seriously I'm jealous - takemewithyou)

I've never tried on day one - but he told me something of the sort as well. Something about putting the pot in sump or someplace with good flow and aggitation. I've never tried... never really had to. Day 4 is good enough for me - I mean it works so why mess with it.

Rich - I've been looking at those split AC / Heat systems - do they operate like a normal home heating system? What I mean is I've seen some portable / window mounted home AC / Heat system but they don't cut out when they hit temp. They keep a fan running all the time. I can't imagine that being very effecient. I'm curious if the Split system cuts on and off when it is needed / not needed.

LOL... Rich you're in Florida... how much closer to the water do you want to get? Sheesh!

(no seriously I'm jealous - takemewithyou)

I've never tried on day one - but he told me something of the sort as well. Something about putting the pot in sump or someplace with good flow and aggitation. I've never tried... never really had to. Day 4 is good enough for me - I mean it works so why mess with it.

Rich - I've been looking at those split AC / Heat systems - do they operate like a normal home heating system? What I mean is I've seen some portable / window mounted home AC / Heat system but they don't cut out when they hit temp. They keep a fan running all the time. I can't imagine that being very effecient. I'm curious if the Split system cuts on and off when it is needed / not needed.

There is a small fan that runs but it's so small there is really no draw power wise. The window/portable ones are a waste of money. I have one of the biggest units that they make for a portable and it would never shut off. Ran pretty much 24/7

The mini split is so much nicer. If you can get one with a external thermostat, this way it has the features that you want not what the company offers. Wish I did that with mine. Oh well hind site is 20/20

I always dreamed about living on the water with a dock in my backyard. I live about 3/4 of a mile away right now if you took a few houses out of my way but I want to be right there. Plus it's now or never. Real buyers market

Get a thermostat that has a auto switch from cold to hot. This way no worries about forgetting to flip the switch

very cool video. i see alot of snows developing there.

i got a heat pump that heats and cools my house. its not that bad, but when the temp goes under 32f

they are not efficient anymore and you should switch to emergency heat which sucks mega power. my heat pump froze for a week or 2 last year and it cost me like an extra $300.

dont know why they use them in the northeast for heating, it cheaper to install them i guess and then the electric company gets to rape the home owner. would love to have gas or oil then use the heat pump for ac only.

i love Rich's idea of a mini heat pump. Mitsubishi make a a little heat pump type of unit. you install the ac unit on a wall and drill a 1.5" hole in the wall to run a line from the outside pump to the inside unit. then you can add ac or heat into a room or a floor depending on what unit you get.

if i ever move to florida i will do this for my garage for my clowns..

hey guys, im on my first attempt at raising my clown fry and i have three left at day 5, i just began feeding otihime A but they dont seem to be touching it, anyone have any suggestions on how to get em to notice it? thanks

That's a tough one - I start to to sprinkle a very small amount of Oto A about day 2 or 3 and by day 5 they are hitting it hard. I would suggest making sure you have enough rotifers in the water so they can still find them and continue to occasionally sprinkle in some OTO and they will eventually find it.

Alright - got a much better nest from my B&W pair this time - it actually looked like they knew what they where doing. Not huge but worth hatching out. Must be 2 inches by 1 inch and packed tight.

im annoyed at filter socks. my dual 7' socks fill up and only last 3 days before needing changed. which i cant seem to keep up on their cleaning cause i use the hose to clean them out and then reuse them.

i did seem some ideas out there about using a disposable filter sock. which would save me time and a headache cause i really hate changing the filter socks.

disposable socks a good idea, or does anyone have a better idea of filtering out out the food and crap than a filter sock??

I think they are filling up fast because of the amount you feed (cannot fix) and the way you clean them (can fix) - I know a lot of people wash them in the washing machine with plain - unscented bleach.

I wouldn't think that a garden hose would get all the crappage out of them and make it clog / dirty up faster. If you started with a cleaner sock you'd have better results.

HOWEVER - with the new brood stock system I have going up - I've been stocking up on the filter socks - I could change daily if needed and wash them all out over the weekend.

FishEyeAquaculture

I'm thinking Rich and I buy our socks from the same supplier (FAOIS?) I change mine out every other day, I am fine with that. All my systems have NO3 and PO4 levels that are better than most reef tanks. It's ok to have to change your filters out often.

i dont mind changing them, its the cleaning part i dont like. hehe

on another reef board someones wife sews them and makes felt socks with a ziptie built in and i am gonna get a few to use them and see if the are good. they are gonna be cheap enough where i can use them and then toss them out. i might clean some out to reuse them. but i dont want to spend hours cleaning them out all the time. just a pet peeve of mine i guess.

wife wont let me come near the washing machine with the socks. hehe

my clowns are on day 8 now and going through meta looks liek one is done since the first white stripe is forming!

That's what I'm talking about! Very cool - how many do you have left?