Innovative Marine Aquariums

Maxima wont stay on rock

AdrianBryce

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nano_keeper30

Yes it is a bad practice, but was a last resort..I had problems with him getting knocked off but he reall was happy there. He even began attaching to the rock before he was knocked away. So I just said scew it and glued his happy ass.

DONT EVER GLUE ONE IF HE IS MOVING ON HIS OWN....

Wow, I don't know if I should jump in but I just bought my first clam Max and the exact same thing is happening here. He will stay there on the rock for hours, overnight and then all of a sudden he's facedown on the bottom. I just moved him in an area with a lot of shells and little sand and so far so good.

I would much rather him be up on a rock but will let him relax a little and try it later.

cheryl jordan
Yes it is a bad practice, but was a last resort..I had problems with him getting knocked off but he reall was happy there. He even began attaching to the rock before he was knocked away. So I just said scew it and glued his happy ass.

DONT EVER GLUE ONE IF HE IS MOVING ON HIS OWN....

I really do not know what bothers me more that you actually glued a clam or that you noticed it had a happy ass. Something tells me this method of clam placement is not going to catch on, nor should it. You really could not think of anything better, shocking. :o

WTF???

why are clams like everyone's topic of argument (cough cough)??

Cheryl is right!!! PLEASE NEVER GLUE A CLAM.....THAT'S JUST DUMB AND CRUEL

and will please some one listen to me and point the intake siphon to face a good amount of flow and see what happens

I promise you you'll be shocked!!

just try it!! and then EVERYONE go have a drink!!!!

just try it!! and then EVERYONE go have a drink!!!!

I'm not gonna try it but I'll have a drink! :D

GL AB... FWIW my clam seems happy in my 'sand', except I have the chunky type of shell debris sand everyone says not to get, but if you 'want' to keep clams in the sand, it'd seem perfect for those. I would watch the getting knocked over thing though, I think my other clam was too small, stressed, and got knocked over - aka the perfect storm of clam demise.

nano_keeper30

Maybe I was misunderstood in my glue comment. I glued him very loose. Which means just by a thread of glue until he could attach himself to the rock. One small dab of glue and then streatched when it was still soft to make a string effect to kind of teather him to the rock rather than glue him directly in place. he could actually move freely to an extent. As I said, NEVER GLUE A CLAM THAT IS MOVING ON HIS OWN. But in this instance i am 99% sure it was my other reef creatures knocking him off. He has now attached himself to the rock and have been doing fine for several months. The glue teather has been cut and no more glue is involved.

Just a note, never say never when there is a possibility that somthing out of the ordinary can work. Where there is a will there is a way and this method for me worked good and was not cruel or unsual.

Rather than maybe putting all this negativity out there and making discouraging onlookers from enjoying a addition of a clam in their tank, we could agree that there are several methods that work for clam placment and care in a aquarium enviroment and what one guy may have success with another may not and it takes time and patience to achieve success as with anything in the saltwater rhelm.

Gluing a clam eh?

At least it's not as bad as the guy who said he would "prune his anemones tentacles because they were too long"

hahahaha! That's hilarious... I lot of people that see my tank think that the corals are plants... Even after I point them out as corals...

I wonder what happened?

Adrian, Good luck with your clam. After reading through this post I believe it contains a pretty good discussion concerning clam placement. I mean the answer isn't a one liner, but I think you should be able to draw some fairly conclusive ideas from this. A picture from you might have helped though.

Also, FWIW, I can vouch that rockfish & Cherly typically give above average advice pertaining to these matters.

nano_keeper30
Gluing a clam eh?

At least it's not as bad as the guy who said he would "prune his anemones tentacles because they were too long"

OMG !!! How can you even relate apples to oranges ?

Can't relate apples to oranges, one is orange the other is red.

Being especially to cruel to something that can't talk or scream because he was "Happy"...No, your right we could never compare apples to oranges.

nano_keeper30

Cruel would be making the little bugger into a soap dish or charm braclet....helping him stay in place by the least restrictive means possible is well not so cruel in my book. I dont feel any further need to elplain my actions. Or we can be 2 year olds and keep this going.

If restricting a creature to a specific place is cruel maybe we should rethink the whole taking fish from the wide ol ocean into a 24x12 inch glass box in our living room that we call an aquarium thing.

Cruel would be making the little bugger into a soap dish or charm braclet....helping him stay in place by the least restrictive means possible is well not so cruel in my book. I dont feel any further need to elplain my actions. Or we can be 2 year olds and keep this going.

If restricting a creature to a specific place is cruel maybe we should rethink the whole taking fish from the wide ol ocean into a 24x12 inch glass box in our living room that we call an aquarium thing.

ok dude look....i've tried to be nice and i've tried to help you in the other thread BUT are you that thick??

you have to be a teenager or some one who has NO regard for life other than your own

bottom line you DO NOT under ANY circumstance GLUE A FU*KING CLAM!!!

if he doesn't like where he is your going to stress him out by keeping him there....clams move to find better lighting or current and to deny them that by affixing them (unnaturally BTW) to some place they don't want to be is like tying a puppy to a telephone pole you #######!!!

nano_keeper30
ok dude look....i've tried to be nice and i've tried to help you in the other thread BUT are you that thick??

you have to be a teenager or some one who has NO regard for life other than your own

bottom line you DO NOT under ANY circumstance GLUE A FU*KING CLAM!!!

if he doesn't like where he is your going to stress him out by keeping him there....clams move to find better lighting or current and to deny them that by affixing them (unnaturally BTW) to some place they don't want to be is like tying a puppy to a telephone pole you #######!!!

Wow, this thread is out of context and pardon me for objecting with your point of view. If you want to insult me please come and do it to my face. I very much appreciated your help and respect your knowledge on clams, but I really dont think you understand the circumstances.

1. The clam had attached himself to the rock a few times before i teathered him into place with a very thin thread of glue which means he was happy where he was or do clams attach themselfs to a rock and burrow up to their mantle because they thought it was a good idea at the time ?

2. Either hermit crabs or i believe my coral banded shrimp was knocking him off while he was in the process of attaching himself to the rock . Hense is why I aided him in staying in place with the glue.

3. Once he was firmly inplace (self attached) to the rock I snipped the thread of glue I had him teathered with. NO MORE GLUE INVOVLED.

4. He is still attached to the rock in the very same place and actually look like he is starting to burrow.

5. I only had him teathered for the 5 days it took him to firmly attach himself to the rock without the risk of crabs or shrimp disturbing this process.

I do appologise if you do still think this is unacceptable, however i feel it was not invasive but actually helped the clam attach were he wanted to be anyways.

And FYI I am not a teenager, I respect all forms of life to an extent and am a avid animal lover. I strive to do the best I can to make sure everything in my care is treated in the best possible way.

I have 3 clams and have managed to keep them alive for 6 over 6 months so I must be doing somthing right

cheryl jordan
Wow, this thread is out of context and pardon me for objecting with your point of view. If you want to insult me please come and do it to my face. I very much appreciated your help and respect your knowledge on clams, but I really dont think you understand the circumstances.

1. The clam had attached himself to the rock a few times before i teathered him into place with a very thin thread of glue which means he was happy where he was or do clams attach themselfs to a rock and burrow up to their mantle because they thought it was a good idea at the time ?

2. Either hermit crabs or i believe my coral banded shrimp was knocking him off while he was in the process of attaching himself to the rock . Hense is why I aided him in staying in place with the glue.

3. Once he was firmly inplace (self attached) to the rock I snipped the thread of glue I had him teathered with. NO MORE GLUE INVOVLED.

4. He is still attached to the rock in the very same place and actually look like he is starting to burrow.

5. I only had him teathered for the 5 days it took him to firmly attach himself to the rock without the risk of crabs or shrimp disturbing this process.

I do appologise if you do still think this is unacceptable, however i feel it was not invasive but actually helped the clam attach were he wanted to be anyways.

And FYI I am not a teenager, I respect all forms of life to an extent and am a avid animal lover. I strive to do the best I can to make sure everything in my care is treated in the best possible way.

I have 3 clams and have managed to keep them alive for 6 over 6 months so I must be doing somthing right

My problem with what you did, was you did not even give the clam the option of defending itself from other tank inhabitants and whatever made it leave the spot in the first place. We all make mistakes and I sincerely hope you learned two things from this. First: Consider whats best for the animal not convenient to you, derasa like the sand bed anyway. Second: When you post an obvious error have enough maturity to admit you made an error in judgement, because you did, and then you boosted about it and got cocky. Lastly six months of success with any marine animal is nothing to boost about, try years.

My problem with what you did, was you did not even give the clam the option of defending itself from other tank inhabitants and whatever made it leave the spot in the first place. We all make mistakes and I sincerely hope you learned two things from this. First: Consider whats best for the animal not convenient to you, derasa like the sand bed anyway. Second: When you post an obvious error have enough maturity to admit you made an error in judgement, because you did, and then you boosted about it and got cocky. Lastly six months of success with any marine animal is nothing to boost about, try years.

And we have a winner.......end of thread

and how about that drink??? cause I know i need one!!

Patron to warm up and then bloody marys. Oh I wish it were so, that my favorite.

well, if you ever decide to visit NY I am A sucker for Patron myself!!

so feel free!!

Archived