ReefCleaners.org

Maxima wont stay on rock

AdrianBryce

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheryl jordan
Yeah put him in the sand so a nassarius could climb right up his byssal ass and eat him from the inside out.

So what your saying is that nassarius prefer the taste of maximas, compared to derasa and squamosa. Interesting theory, maybe you should publish it. Nassarius eat dying clams, but hey if he keeps messing with the clam is will be nassarius food soon.

So what your saying is that nassarius prefer the taste of maximas, compared to derasa and squamosa. Interesting theory, maybe you should publish it. Nassarius eat dying clams, but hey if he keeps messing with the clam is will be nassarius food soon.

well if the foot isn't attached to something and the clam for some reason falls over on it's side then you've got trouble

but a nass snail will not bother an upright, attached, healthy clam

cheryl jordan
well if the foot isn't attached to something and the clam for some reason falls over on it's side then you've got trouble

but a nass snail will not bother an upright, attached, healthy clam

My Derasea and Squamosa are not attached to anything, and healthy. If the nass snail is a problem get rid of it, but I guarantee if the maxima keeps getting messed with it will become nassarius food. Maximas are considered by some to be even more delicate than crocea, I consider crocea more delicate. Point put the clam on a flat surface like a tile or flat rock, when it attaches move it up in the tank as tolerated. Enough clam mumbo jumbo.

My Derasea and Squamosa are not attached to anything, and healthy. If the nass snail is a problem get rid of it, but I guarantee if the maxima keeps getting messed with it will become nassarius food. Maximas are considered by some to be even more delicate than crocea, I consider crocea more delicate. Point put the clam on a flat surface like a tile or flat rock, when it attaches move it up in the tank as tolerated. Enough clam mumbo jumbo.

what size tank do you have a Derasa and Squamosa in??

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

That's exactly what I'm saying, I spoke with my nassarius' last night and they told me they love maximas, they taste like chicken according to them, but derasa taste like masa and squamosa taste like squash, they perfer chicken. ;)

First off I don't have Nassarius snails...so not an issue.

Second, the clam was never moved from the spot it chose. I simply placed it on a hard surface in the EXACT same spot and position it was in before, AND THEN IT WALKED OFF OF IT.

I only wanted to know why it wouldn't attach. Not whether or not clams get killed by sand or snails .

I don't see why it is enough clam mumbo jumbo, this is the clam forum, unless I missed the memo that stated you got to decide when a thread was over.

I just had a simple question, that did not get answered (not surprised), just turned into a contest to see which amateur/hobbyist thinks they are going to be the best marine biologist when they grow up.

AWESOME!

Second, the clam was never moved from the spot it chose. I simply placed it on a hard surface in the EXACT same spot and position it was in before, AND THEN IT WALKED OFF OF IT.

I only wanted to know why it wouldn't attach. Not whether or not clams get killed by sand or snails .

I don't see why it is enough clam mumbo jumbo, this is the clam forum, unless I missed the memo that stated you got to decide when a thread was over.

I just had a simple question, that did not get answered (not surprised), just turned into a contest to see which amateur/hobbyist thinks they are going to be the best marine biologist when they grow up.

AWESOME!

I already am good sir.....got my degree about 3 months ago....working at the NY aquarium as an intern (non paid BTW.....SUCKS!!)

Turn his intake to face a decent flow and see what happens.....let me know

thanks

Then at least you have some allowance to be an ass. everyone else....jeez

lol....i'm a new yorker......so i'm a natural ass!! LOL

but seriously

just try what I said and lemme know what happenes

Yeah I don't know why clams bring out the best in people. :lol:

Here's what I think. I could be wrong and I am not claiming to be an expert. Just from my research and own brief experience. I think it walked off because it is not happy where you have him. He could not walk off before because he was in the sand with nothing solid to grab. Now that you placed a rock underneath him, it gave him something to hold on to. So it used its foot to grab the rock and try to move to a better place. That is how I see it anyway.

My clams did the same thing. I placed a flat rock underneath them in sand and in the morning I find them off the rock to the side on the sand. I did this for a couple days. Then decided to put them on the rocks but tried to make it so they are loosely wedged between rocks and they have not moved at all. I do actually have one right now moving around trying to move up the rocks. It's interesting how they do it. They are like Spiderman with their threads on their foot.

I also have a crocea that I placed on the rocks but jumped off one night. I put a flat piece of rock underneath it and put it on the sand and it hasn't moved one bit. So go figure.

Yeah they can be weird. I did move mine once to another spot, and it walked back, through the sugar sized sand back to where it likes to be.

So then it probably likes it in that spot in the sand. I would probably just place the rock further down the sand so that the clam won't attach to the bottom of the tank.

LebaneseDlight

I've been having the same problem with one of my two new maximas. One attached immediately to the old shell I placed him on. The other kept jumping off the shell, the Live Rock, near the MP10, away from the MP10, high up on the rock, low 1/3rd of the LR, etc etc etc. I finally put him on the sand yesterday, but, like GUIA suggested, with a small frag plug directly under him flush with the sandbed (i.e., the frag plug is pretty much burried under the sand, but only a few grains of sand on top of the plug). Then I added some LR rubble around the clam to help him stay put. He seems to have already attached to it. Maybe I got lucky or maybe it was the persistance.

I think they feel more comfortable with rocks, or even sand, around their shell. Out of the 11 clams in my tank, only my 2 croceas and 1 maxima have attached to a flat piece of rock. The rest are all attached to a rock that has a little curve to cradle them or surrounded by rocks.

LebaneseDlight
I think they feel more comfortable with rocks, or even sand, around their shell. Out of the 11 clams in my tank, only my 2 croceas and 1 ....

12 step program. Clam Intervention is on it's way.

cheryl jordan

AWESOME!

Far more grown up than you. You wanted input you got it. You never even posted a pic of your clam, good start to solving the problem. No amateur here and you are the exact reason people do not want to help.

Memo: People who respond like asses will burn their bridges, RF will be your go to guy, and anyone who shows so little appreciation for those persons that tried to assist shows you really do not care. And the theory that your maxima will die in the sand is mumbo jumbo, for god sakes do some research.

nano_keeper30

if this was said already, pardon me but I have a desera that I had problems staying where I wanted it so I used coral glue and glued him very loosely to the rock. Mind you he wasnt moving on his own but was being knocked off by fish and crabs. If you do this make sure he isnt moving on his own and only glue the side of the shell, never the bottom were the hinge is as your clam will never open up again. Use glue sparingly.

Just remember, clams are picky animals I have a squas in my sand bed that likes he moves just to spite me I think and that is just a quarter turn to the right and it makes me mad cause he dont look good that 1/4 turn lol.

]

Yes it is great to have them bore into the rock as they do in nature, but most people dont want to have a clam in a permanent place in a permanent rock that might not fit into a tank that you may upgrade or downgrade to. I love my nano's but some days I just hate the hassle and wish i just had it all in a 55g lol And that may just as well happen one of these days.

And as to the fact of clams not actually boring into the rock but the rock growing around the clam ? I beleive that the clams do actually bore into the rock via a acid that they product for that purpose.

Archived