Pod Your Reef

Maxima wont stay on rock

AdrianBryce

So I have a maxima, and have had it on the sand bed while I rescaped.

I set it on a rock in the same spot it was in and it walked off.

I set it on a dead piece of monti cap, and it walked off of it.

What gives?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheryl jordan
maybe it doesn't like where it is. Or maybe it opened up and fell off the rock. Clams are best off in the sand IMO

Put a piece of shell or flat rock under it and see if it attaches. Do not keep moving it to the rocks, for some reason it does not like the lighting or flow. Moving it around will stress it. Maximas do fine in the sand so just let it aclimate for awhile. Check your parameters or any inhabitants that may be bothering it. Good luck.

maybe it doesn't like where it is. Or maybe it opened up and fell off the rock. Clams are best off in the sand IMO

clams def do NOT belong in the sand.....that's how you kill them

HUH??? explain??? crocea is found grown in coral maxima is sometimes, and deresa, gigas, and all the rest spend all but the initial year or so in the sand. Clams are aqucultured in sand or CC. You must know somehting I don't.

HUH??? explain??? crocea is found grown in coral maxima is sometimes, and deresa, gigas, and all the rest spend all but the initial year or so in the sand. Clams are aqucultured in sand or CC. You must know somehting I don't.

maximas and croceas are rock boring clams

they get send in there intake and you will kill them!!

derasa, gigas and squamies will do fine in sand

cheryl jordan

Wrong, and thousand have clams especially maximas in the sand. If sand killed them, then they would perish in the ocean. Still waiting for my maxima and squami to die after being in the sand for years. Let the clam aclimate, it does not want to be on the rocks right now, probably because he changed the aquascape. Let it settle then slowly move it up,maximas and corcea are rock boring by nature but do fine in the sand. Sorry RF, but my years of experience trump you marine biology degree.

Ok. I guess I wasn't clear. The clam has been in the same spot for a month, in sand. I picked it up and set a rock underneath it...it walked off.

I picked it up and put a piece of dead monti under it, in the same spot it has always been in, and it walked off it. it seems to want to be in the sand

cheryl jordan

So leave it in the sand, if it is still opening fully, response to light and is not bleaching no problem. My maxima moves every once in a while, with no harm done. Usually happens when I change the flow. Clams in sand do they look like they are dying Good luck.

post-40050-1266898847_thumb.jpg

Wrong, and thousand have clams especially maximas in the sand. If sand killed them, then they would perish in the ocean. Still waiting for my maxima and squami to die after being in the sand for years. Let the clam aclimate, it does not want to be on the rocks right now, probably because he changed the aquascape. Let it settle then slowly move it up,maximas and corcea are rock boring by nature but do fine in the sand. Sorry RF, but my years of experience trump you marine biology degree.

all i'm saying is in nature you aill almost NEVER find a maxima or a crocea clam in the sand

and anything that's not a natural environment is ill advised in my book when it comes to clams

cheryl jordan
all i'm saying is in nature you aill almost NEVER find a maxima or a crocea clam in the sand

and anything that's not a natural environment is ill advised in my book when it comes to clams

Your right RF in nature maximas and crocea are found in rocks. But you know these are closed systems and if the clam keeps moving around than it needs to settle, be it in the sand or on a rock. I agree 100% that the ideal placement is on a rock, but that usually is not the case. As you can see my crocea is boring in a rock, but my maxima made it clear no rocks. Smaller clams may have problems with placement, but once they get larger they choose the spot not me. Sand is ever present in the tidal zones that rock boring clams live yet they still thrive. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to marine science and it is ever changing. No hard feeling on my part.

Your right RF in nature maximas and crocea are found in rocks. But you know these are closed systems and if the clam keeps moving around than it needs to settle, be it in the sand or on a rock. I agree 100% that the ideal placement is on a rock, but that usually is not the case. As you can see my crocea is boring in a rock, but my maxima made it clear no rocks. Smaller clams may have problems with placement, but once they get larger they choose the spot not me. Sand is ever present in the tidal zones that rock boring clams live yet they still thrive. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to marine science and it is ever changing. No hard feeling on my part.

agreed!! :D

my clams crocea and maxima has been on my sand for years now.

anything that gets inside the mouth that it doesnt want gets shot back out.

but i did notice they like rocks better. just need to find something that will fit on them snuggly.

Mine clearly is not. walks right off of any hard surface.

try placing him with his intake siphon pointed in the direction of some decent (but not 100% direct) flow and see what happens

try placing him with his intake siphon pointed in the direction of some decent (but not 100% direct) flow and see what happens

Mine is a base model, doesn't come with an intake siphon, those didn't come standard on

Maximas until 2010. J/K :P

I will give it a shot when I get home from work.

Archived