ReefCleaners.org

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

Would a window ac in the room or a small refrigorator diy chiller be an option ( you might beabel to find one on craigslist?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

window AC out of the option since AC is generally not allowed in the house x_x

i have a firdge in the basement but its too big, and im not buying a $100 fridge to do a DIY when the iceprobe costs just as much lol.

Nothing on this tank, temps are around 82F right now.

Mr. Microscope

Solution:

This will take a bit of effort, but involves considerably less risk since it's a pico. Move it to the basement while you're away. If your heater is reliable, you should be okay. Temps should be much more stable down there. This, of course will be more of a challenge with the 10 gallon. The 3 gallon probably weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 lbs. and the 10 gallon more than 100 lbs (conservative estimate). (salt water is approximately 8.4 lbs/gallon + tank + rock/sand/livestock + equipment). Perhaps move with buckets.

Hey you get lucky post #1111 from me. :)

window AC out of the option since AC is generally not allowed in the house x_x

i have a firdge in the basement but its too big, and im not buying a $100 fridge to do a DIY when the iceprobe costs just as much lol.

Nothing on this tank, temps are around 82F right now.

How bout a cooler with ice water and a powerhead?

nice ideas but too much crap on the floor that will likely be removed when im away by a certain someone lol.

the basement gets very hot too, as most of the time the windows have to stay open. and yes the moving of the 10 gal is not happening like you mentioned Micro :P

Mr. Microscope
nice ideas but too much crap on the floor that will likely be removed when im away by a certain someone lol.

the basement gets very hot too, as most of the time the windows have to stay open. and yes the moving of the 10 gal is not happening.

D'oh! Thought I had it. I'll keep thinking for ya. :)

i hope i get this air king fan on this tank soon. I will be buying two 5 gal buckets today for top-off reservoirs. I just have to come up with how i can splice airline together to take water from two buckets at once. that will in theory give me a 10 gallon reservoir while im gone.

i hope i get this air king fan on this tank soon. I will be buying two 5 gal buckets today for top-off reservoirs. I just have to come up with how i can splice airline together to take water from two buckets at once. that will in theory give me a 10 gallon reservoir while im gone.
you think it will take that much? Be nice if you could keep a humidifier going also.

well it will be for 4 weeks. i am afraid it will be not enough for the tank :(

we will see. i cant tell anything yet cuz the fan isnt on the tank yet so i cant measure top-off water consumption.

dang well LPS like acans and blastos dont mix well with 90F+ tank temps...

now my blasto looks awful, idk how i did not notice it when i returned yesterday but it looks like its dying. acan is severely bleached but i can still tell its alive...

temp in this tank is 82F today. we will see how hot it will get at night when the fuge light comes on and the heatsink fan goes off :(

RKL used as a dual stage controller with a heater and a fan. As long as you have a decent ATO system it should work. It's the cheapest dual stage controller I could find and short of fixing the "no AC" situation it is probably you next best bet.

A 12 volt cooler is basicly an aluminum heatsink with a fan blowing on it , wonder how it would work taped to the back of an ac70?

get a regular old fan and have it blow across the entire tank.

that & let somebody you trust add water to your ato tank once a week.

nope no one i trust with this lives in my house :P

i got my buckets. 10 gal ATO reservoir for both tanks :D

Mr. Microscope

If it helps, I go through about a liter every 2.5 days. That's about 3 gallons in a month. With a 10 gallon ATO reserve you should be fine, unless you more than triple it somehow.

i know im being paranoid with the 10 gallon thing, but I'm very upset since my acan bleached and my blasto is in very bad condition :(

If it helps, I go through about a liter every 2.5 days.

i go thru about the same in my 5.5 aio in the same time period. granted i have a cover on it, but also have a 5" computer fan blowing thru special vent holes i drilled in the lid.

so long as the buckets are sealed you should see very little evap.

Okay i have a serious proposal. See if you can find a temporary home for your coral/inverts while your gone. (like, mail them to mr. microscope :P ) You can leave the rocks/water/sand in the tank without any fans because im pretty sure bacteria is good with all temps. This way, you know your coral will be in good hands with a reefer and you wont be worried sick about the temp swings and ATO nightmares and a whole host of other things. Of course, mail your frags to someone you trust :) or find an LFS or a local that will let you board your frags while youre gone.

ok here is what I did, i plugged my heatsink fan into an outlet thats on all the time instead of only "lighted day hours" With this the temp at night is 79F :)

if this is the regular pattern throughout a normal week then 82F-79F daily swing is just about nothing. just as long as i dont run into the 90F+ days again >_<

@racechase: LOL

Archived