Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

:o poor newman, you should try to use cold packs or something. the pico would do well with it due to the small water volume. You can with the war!
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not the one who is poor, its my livestock that is paying the price, i must act quickly, otherwise everything will be reef soup by the time i return from my month-long vacation at the end of august...

im searching the DIY chiller options right now...

cold packs...they dont last a long time :(

lol

two chiller things will be too much moneys. need to put some fans to blown on the fuge...should have done that way earlier x_x but was too afraid of evap salinity changes despite ATOs on both tanks.

just put two fans on the fuge of my 10 gal NR. we will see how that does. now this 3 gal still has nothing yet..

fans worked great on my old tank. got the temp down a few degrees, but they were pointing mainly at the light. are yours pointing at the water?

pointing at the water now yes lol...

my T5 light does give off some heat, but i figure most heat comes from the AC110 and pumps on my 10 gallon.

for the 3 gal all i could do now is rearrange my heatsink and fan so that the air being blown out of the heatsink strikes a little area of water coming from the AC70 fuge, thus possibly cooling the water off a little.

tomorrow morning i will see if the ATO is taking too much water now that the fans are blowing on the water surface...

around 84F in both tanks now.

I need a fan on this 3 gal. like a real one blowing on the fuge...cuz that heatsink fan only goes on in the daytime.

redirectinga fan from a heatsink onto the water is going to have little effect. Heatsink is to move heat away from something this the air being blown off it is pre heated so to speak.. much less effective than a different fan. Walmart has ome desk style fans for like 8 bucks here .. something like that would be alot better.

Sorry to hear about the temps but your on the right track.. Getting into an iceprobe or something like it on the 10 gallon (with controller) would be a good idea for it if the fans don't do enough durig the day time.

not going to be able to afford the chiller :(

i bought something like a clip -on fan for the 3 gal, we will see how that will help.

I agree that the heatsink fan isnt going to help much cuz its so small. and no the heatsink doesnt get warm at all so the air off it is quite cool, idk why i even run a fan on it but i guess im jsut paranoid.

clip-on fan should work on the 3 gal...or everything will die when i get back :(

82F on the 10 gal right now.

daytime temps with light etc is where you gotta worry. You may find that you need to put the fans on a timer with your lights.. or slightly off schedule from the lights.

yes i need to experiment with that, and really FAST cuz im leaving august 1st. this leaves me one week to get everything right for a month of being away.

my night time temps are just as hot if not sometimes hotter than the day time temps, its messed up >_<

i so far think i need them on all the time.

Mr. Microscope

This might be a really terrible idea, and certainly not a long term solution, but when I had a FW tank about five years ago I used to put a waterbottle in the freezer and float it in the tank for a little while during hot summer days. It helped the temps, but it might have been a stupid noob thing to do. I have no idea how it would effect corals and such. Just an idea if you're desperate. Be careful though.

ive done that on my 10 gal lol, it is not a terrible thing to do as long as no glue touches the SW and the water inside the bottle doesnt leak out.

that method didnt even lower my tank temp 2 degrees, it was a real hassle replacing bottles every 20 min and it simply doesnt work when im not there :(

10 gallon is now at 80F

now i cant go to sleep because idk how low these fans will bring the temp down overnight lol. I'm going to put in a heater and set it for 78F i think..

I use the waterbottle trick on my FW tank right now :P

its good to hear the temps are coming down, sleep is for the weak anyway ;)

lol its at 78-79 now. i set the heater for around 77F I think, its a weird heater, but anyway ill see if the temp stabilizes over the next few hours. I will update on the situation tomorrow.

However back to this 3 gal pico, its still at 85-86F :(

Archived