SaltCritters.com

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

parishilton

Wow your tank keeps getting better and better.

Bring me some frag of your zoas when you come to Thailand :lol:

Watch out for that green stripe mushroom. I want to take them out from my tank right now HEHE.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably missed this earlier but what type of camera are you using ???

I use a Cannon PowerShoot A520. Your basic point and shoot but if I tweak it just right in manual mode the pics come out decent.

Mr. Microscope

Awesome images. Love the red zoas at the end. What do you think of the Koralia? It's a lot of flow in a pico right?! I had to move some of my zoas after installing mine. I have it pointed towards the back. How do you have yours positioned?

@ paris: I dont see a problem with my green shrom. Its my favorite thing in the tank and i really dont want to take her our :( It hasnt reproduced at all (in fact none of my shroms do) so i do not see an immediate threat yet :P

@c_k_k: I have a Nikon coolpix 4600. it kinda sux lol. I mess around with the setting all the time but nothing ever comes out better than with my dark shots

you sure you wish you had a bryopsis covered snail? lol

just cant seem to get rid of the stuff even with magnesium. my tank has its demons too lol.

Well here's an instant where I kind of regret putting an emerald crab in my pico...

He decided to perch on the chalice yesterday night and apparently he's too heavy for it and it snapped, so i was forced to frag it off to a new location when i found it on the floor(of the pico) with the crab under it lol.

Now I have two chalice frags =/

goldifhs230.jpg

I decided to move the rock on the left to my 10 gallon when I start that up later next week. It should be seeded with bacteria from my tank by now...

and a pic of the troublemaker:

goldifhs231.jpg

Mr. Microscope

D'oh!

Sorry to hear about your broken coral. Aren't chalices more of an encrusting coral. I thought only monti SPS shelved out like that. Oh well. I hope your emerald learned his lesson.

holywood chalice apparently grows out like a monti cap coral. thats why i got it instead of the more elusive monti cap lol.

Mr. Microscope
holywood chalice apparently grows out like a monti cap coral. thats why i got it instead of the more elusive monti cap lol.

Cool! I didn't know that. I'd love to see a big specimen of one of those.

lol glad you decided to stop by Fish :)

I am going to do another big nuking of this tank with Kent Magnesium very soon....

I cannot stand looking at this Bryopsis algae slowly spreading to different rock throughout my tank. The RO/DI water may have slowed it a bit, and so have my prunings, but my snail is proof that it will always be in my tank unless I nuke it out >_<

Bryopsis, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

lol glad you decided to stop by Fish :)

I am going to do another big nuking of this tank with Kent Magnesium very soon....

I cannot stand looking at this Bryopsis algae slowly spreading to different rock throughout my tank. The RO/DI water may have slowed it a bit, and so have my prunings, but my snail is proof that it will always be in my tank unless I nuke it out >_<

Bryopsis, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!

Holy crud thats one ugly lookin emerald crab. When mine gets that big hes going back to the fish store for a smaller one. Did you figure out that surface agitator yet? Im so jealous of everyones stock, i think im the only pico reefer who has gone six months and only added 5 frags :\ .....I needs a job.

lol agreed on the job part.

Hey, dont be dissing my crab! xD He's not big at all, not even an inch yet.

Surface skimmer didnt work out due to me failing to put it together right...I'm just sticking to the waterfall as my main surface agitator :)

Arg, too many cerith...

goldifhs233.jpg

I can spot about 12 in that frame alone. not even a decent fraction of the total amount in this pico...

I need to get them into my 10 gal ASAP, unfortunately the 10 gal's rock hasnt arrived yet so i cant do anything, plus i need to cycle it..

and yes...that would be my crab scaring the zoas in the corner...

i'll be taking some off your hands soon enough. probly sometime in august. i got too much on my plate right now with the vacation planning. lol

hey man instead of nuking it with mag just acclimate a molly to sw and they will feed on the algea. i guess some people say they eat bryopsis too. give it shot. mollies are cheap.

What made you upgrade from a Rio 50 to a Koralia Nano? I had to do the exact opposite because the nano was too much flow in my 4g.

nano is too much flow? I've actually seen that its less flow in my tank than the rio50 lmao! i swear its rated to more that twice gph but it doesnt really go crazy on my water. maybe you have the evo version with more power? The reason i upgraded is because i want to see if the Knano gave my tank more random water movement. the rio 50 just seemed to blow water at the glass in one solid direction =S

@badfish: a molly in a 3 gallon is the worst idea i have ever heard of lol. I keep swordtails in my 40 gal FW planted, and those grow huge up to 4" and more. mollies grow even larger, and poop even more.

No offense but mollies just dont work in our small pico tanks :( Plus another issue is not digesting the bryopsis all the way. even the slightest undigested fragment of it in the molly's waste can easily regrow which is why i just want to nuke it the hell out of my tank for good. It better work this time XD

badfish816

i wasn't saying keep it in there forever. lol. just from a baby till most of the algea was gone. but good point on the digestive algea. not to mention the bioload you would have to keep up with.

yes, I didnt think you were meaning that lol! but the waste even from a juvenile would still be enough to fuel the bryopsis rather than let it all get consumed. at least the molly would have a replenish able food lmao.

I keep swordtails in my 40 gal FW planted, and those grow huge up to 4" and more. mollies grow even larger, and poop even more.

I would love to see a pic of your FW planted tank. I also have a 15 gallon FW planted. Battling some algea and what i am hoping is not blue green algea (bacteria) after the move.

lol my FW tank is being neglected ATM with no trims or water changes done for months, its not going to look very orderly, but how can i ever have it look neat when there's a goldfish in there ripping all the plants out lol? thus most of my plants is floating hornwort and other stuff thats been ripped out. I'll PM you a pic of it right now.

Archived