Pod Your Reef

Newman's Picotope

.Newman.

badfish816

goldifhs216.jpg

and yes thats the "crawling Bryopsis forest" AKA my Astrea snail >_>

the zoas on the bottom left are a mixture of watermelons and radioactive dragon eyes. the red with green skirts are the watermelons. i was just wondering cuz i have three frags of these that came extra in a purchase.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryopsis must DIE!

I also removed my ric cuz it looked dead. i guess the elevated mag levels killed it =/ or the stress of splitting killed it cuz it was now at least two rics.

yup those AOGs are what I NEED.

Tank update!

Now I'm glad i got my emerald crab because he has cleaned all the bryopsis off my rock in my display! amazing! But now the astrea snail remains covered in bryopsis and its kind ahard to get it off og her. the bryopsis on her shell is nice and green :( it should be dying but its still green whats going on?!

There is also some bryopsis left growing in my fuge. I've been picking that out with tweezers since there's not animal aside from cerith snails there and they dont eat it....

I am afraid of raising my mag level any higher...I did my 5th 100ppm increase today and this would theoretically put me around 1600-700ppm magnesium which should be killing off the bryopsis...but its not doing anything to the stuff on the snail or in my fuge. I'm afraid of adding a 6th dose now so i think ill hold off on that. My zoas cant take it and all of the colonies that have green pigment in their skirts or in their body have bleached out a bit :( They do not like high magnesium for sure.

My green striped shrom looks bleached too :( everything else looks fine tho...

I can't remember, but what are you dosing with to raise Mg?

From what I know, Kent Tech-M is the only one that is proven to be effective.

It's what I used to get rid of my Bryopsis.

thats what im dosing. I dosed it before with 0 results. at least now with my emerald crab and the mag double teaming the bryopsis, I may have more of a chance..

brandon429

dont forget the burner technique it will take care of any bryopsis and it will get parts wedged in the rock crevices that pulling doesn't remove.

as far as you can drain the tank for a water change, you can zap all that bryopsis with a blue jet lighter. it doesn't hurt live rock, you just pulse it a sec and it zips all the algae but nothing else. even up next to the base of corals, just for a sec, it has never harmed the tissue on my corals because im careful not to hit it.

you'd be suprised how well it works if your chemical eradication doesn't. cool trick about magnesium id consider that if and when an outbreak gets mine too.

B

yeah thats interesting, I'd do that but most bryopsis is on my snails shell and i dont want excargot it just yet...and the rest kinda grows on the filter plastic so thats tough to burn off w/o melting the plastic and poisoning my reef.

Tho I wonder is spot treating the bryopsis works? if not with magnesium then maybe with hydrogen peroxide?

What dont you run some ROWAphos? My tank had same issue. What i did was

1. Remove those filterfloss.

2. Reduce feeding.

3. Put some ROWAphos

4. WC when its due.

Seems working for me...

but did you start with a bryopsis infestation too? I normally run chemi pure which takes care of the phosphate like rowaphos.. tho maybe i dont need the filter floss like you said? i already reduced feeding to 3 times a week. i only spot feed my emerald and pep shrimp. w/e else i have left of mysis i feed my acan or blasto corals.. I always WC at the end of the week :)

The WAR CONTINUES!

didnt think this would happen, but i found my nerite snail on my carpet today all dried up. luckily i check for him everyday almost, and it was'nt too late and he's still alive in my tank. tho he must really hate the mag levels now since he finally crawled out of the tank..

getting a GHAcut:

goldifhs235.jpg

earlier today i removed most of the bryopsis from my astrea's shell with my fingers, but now the mythrax should help with the stuff i cant get...

also theres bryopsis growing on the inside of my float switch snail guard (the white thing in that pic) and i cant seem to take that damn cover off and remove the bryopsis...the screw on cover is jammed for some reason x_x

Mr. Microscope
getting a GHAcut:

also theres bryopsis growing on the inside of my float switch snail guard (the white thing in that pic) and i cant seem to take that damn cover off and remove the bryopsis...the screw on cover is jammed for some reason x_x

Geeze, I hope that doesn't mess with your ATO.

c_k_kuehne

Just keep a close eye on the emerald -- when they get hungry and there is no other food around soft coral tissue gets tempting :huh:

lol thats why i feed him whenever i feed the pep shrimp. pep shrimp gets mysis, crab gets green dry seaweed :P

i had a brief run in with bryopsis. i scraped the frags of it, removed all i could find, and started using H2Ocean (higher mag) and its all gone (to the naked eye). should i be worried about it coming back? anything i should do to help make sure it stays gone?

i think if you have it once, youre pretty much cursed with it :(. the spores can stay dormant if there are any, and the fragments can be hidden somewhere until something sets them off...

haha did I scare you with that spooky story?

nah if you dont see it for a while its probably gone for good and something else in your tank like chaeto or coralline is not allowing it to ever come back.

FishyFishy!

I had good luck in my 50 Gallon breeder with bryopsis just scraping the rock it was on, and then dosing with MG, but everyone will have different experiences... and my tank has been up and running for a few years so I guess that helps!

Check out my 5.5 Gallon pico newman! I want you to give me some insight on my scaping issues

Dang I lost my Astrea Snail today... i hope i dont lose anything else.

last time i treated with magnesium I think i lost my super tonga nassarius to the treatment too...

cmon, this tank has got to pull through till next Wednesday.

Archived