Innovative Marine Aquariums

Blue Ringed Octopi

alysia

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so can palytoxins ......

Not anywhere near the same... your not going to die by just touching a soft coral. I personally would advise against getting one.

Wikipedia: Palytoxin was originally isolated in 1971 in Hawaii from the seaweed-like coral, "Limu make o hana (Seaweed of Death from Hana)"

..Sweet

so can palytoxins ......

And what % of those affected are in captivity ? .5%

%100 of a blue ring or .5% ? Hmmm.

Anyone who asks the initial question ( OP ) shouldn't even be allowed to purchase one.

Thats like giving a Tiger to a toddler cause they wanted a cat. ( Except the Blue Ring would kill it faster )

What is the min gal requirement for these suckers?

LOL - I just realized, this is the first piece of research the OP has done.

Walking_Target

Palys don't squeeze out of tiny holes and slurp their way across the floor. Nor do they have the ability bo bite.

TTX will kill you dead inside of 5 minutes; there's no antidote, the best you can hope is somebody finds your ass inside of that window and starts giving you CPR before brain death occurs.

Beyond that, they're rare in their natural range (in danger from collection), have a months-long lifespan at best, are highly toxic and expert marine biologists advise AGAINST even handling them, never mind keeping them for pets.

I reitterate: If you buy one, you are stupid. Even in a best-case scenario, if you're dumb enough to buy one knowing that, then you're dumb enough to get bitten.

Worse yet, think about this... what if you're not the one to find the squishy thing on the carpet? what if it's a freind, neighbour, child, parent, etc that finds it? are they going to know how deadly it is? might they think they're doing a good thing by scooping the poor thing up with their hands to put it back in the tank? This is something that can kill anybody that comes in contact with it.

Palys don't squeeze out of tiny holes and slurp their way across the floor. Nor do they have the ability bo bite.

TTX will kill you dead inside of 5 minutes; there's no antidote, the best you can hope is somebody finds your ass inside of that window and starts giving you CPR before brain death occurs.

Beyond that, they're rare in their natural range (in danger from collection), have a months-long lifespan at best, are highly toxic and expert marine biologists advise AGAINST even handling them, never mind keeping them for pets.

I reitterate: If you buy one, you are stupid. Even in a best-case scenario, if you're dumb enough to buy one knowing that, then you're dumb enough to get bitten.

Worse yet, think about this... what if you're not the one to find the squishy thing on the carpet? what if it's a freind, neighbour, child, parent, etc that finds it? are they going to know how deadly it is? might they think they're doing a good thing by scooping the poor thing up with their hands to put it back in the tank? This is something that can kill anybody that comes in contact with it.

/thread

what ???

i know several ppl that have them

Lies, or illegally, unless they're participating in some sort of research. I'd close the thread for advocating illegal possession of an animal, but I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing the first blue-ring related Darwin Award that I know of first hand! :P

Lies, or illegally, unless they're participating in some sort of research. I'd close the thread for advocating illegal possession of an animal, but I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing the first blue-ring related Darwin Award that I know of first hand! :P

as much as I hate to agree with ryeguy, these things are commonly available in california. I've seen lfs get them in quite often and selling them quite often.

also, ryeguy just stfu. Im surprise you havent gotten banned for spewing crap. I wish you'd just state in every post you made that you're 13 so no one listens to you. It would probably save lives.

What is the min gal requirement for these suckers?

you can stuff one in a pico...then pour some formaldehyde in and seal it shut!

Start with a lionfish or something!

They are extremely dangerous and I think it says something that marine biologists say to leave them alone. But if you want one and are willing to take the risks then go ahead. I'd never even be in the same room as one that is owned by an amateur though.

It's octopuses btw. Or octopodes if you like speaking dead languages to sound like a scientist :)

also, ryeguy just stfu. Im surprise you havent gotten banned for spewing crap. I wish you'd just state in every post you made that you're 13 so no one listens to you. It would probably save lives.

I'am not 13 though lol

there are only 2 confirmed deaths from a blue ring octopus.

And one of them was from a diver that didn't know what it was and he put it on his shoulder.

Their life span's only a year though

Mr. Microscope

Is this for real?! People actually sell/buy, are ALLOWED to sell/buy these things??!! Why not just buy a couple rattlesnakes? Geeze, I wouldn't get within 20 feet of one of those things. Yes, they are beautiful, but I'd prefer to admire them in a photograph or city aquarium. By the way, I work in biological research. I've studied this stuff. Please don't mess with these things guys.

You can survive palytoxins, but not superdeadlykillerOCTOpi!

blue ring stuff aside...

octopus tank would be sweet...where does one find a secure lid for a tank? Any company that makes these for certain fits? I have this cool octopus near my house that chills in this tidepool...everytime I see him though it has some tentacle damage. Stray cats in the area I bet, they cleanup after the fishermen....and probably attack octopus...anyway, a 4 legged octopus sounds sweet...

my current tank lid sucks, I have a 72 bow that would work for size for this octopus.

A have seen where people have custom cut Plexi or had glass cut. Then super glued standard sliding locks to the glass and their tank bezel. It doesnt look bad if done right. The problem with most tanks is the overflow to sump or HOB devices. If you could use an AIO type system it would be great but you would also need to secure the area to the filters/back chambers.

Archived