inTank Media Baskets

Blue Ringed Octopi

alysia

Not a blue ring but interesting non-the-less

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthr...ghlight=octopus

that guy is a member of this forum too and has a thread on the second page of this section about his octopus its named "best invert ever" or something similar to that. i linked to it on page 3 of this thread in reply to john asking about tight fitting tops because she made a really strong lid with the help of her husband for the octopus

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Octopus are cool, my gf worked at the NRCC for years where they breed lots of cephalopods for research. With time, dedication, and a species system, they can be neat, short-lived pets, except for blue rings!

If the LFS have blue rings in CA, they're lying to the wholesalers and saying that they're getting them for "research purposes".

Oh, and you definitely die *from* TTX - respiratory failure is an acute symptom of TTX poisoning. (that's like saying it's not the cocaine that killed you: the heart didn't go into V-fib by itself! :))

i am surprised most people attacked don't drown...seems like drowning would be the major issue with these guys...stick your hand in the wrong hole and what not. funny it was suffocation, I guess most of the people are handling them in some hobby setting.

i am surprised most people attacked don't drown...seems like drowning would be the major issue with these guys...stick your hand in the wrong hole and what not. funny it was suffocation, I guess most of the people are handling them in some hobby setting.

or maybe near shore where they can get to land and go wtf happened then it starts kicking in

People do/can drown after Blue-Ring bites, but not often.

Most people that get bitten by Blue-Rings have it happen in tide pools or shallow water where the organism is cornered and forced to defend itself. Like most animals, they prefer to flee first, fight second.

People do/can drown after Blue-Ring bites, but not often.

Most people that get bitten by Blue-Rings have it happen in tide pools or shallow water where the organism is cornered and forced to defend itself. Like most animals, they prefer to flee first, fight second.

oh they probably get stepped on then....i can see that

yes plexi glass will warp with heat but the thread i mentioned earlier they made a brace to counteract any warpage that would occur

and i found the thread becaue they included pics of the top

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223376

thanks for the link!, will check it out. should be cool.

edit - way too complicated for me..i have zero craftsmanship skills. I was hoping to see duct tape and super glue....i do have a piece of plywood and a rock and i can put on it....

FYI:

octopuses, octopi

are both correct ;)

http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/plural-octopus.html

The Question:

What is the plural of octopus? Is it octopi or octopusses?

The Answer:

We would go with "octopuses," a perfectly legitimate English plural, and the oldest attested to. "Octopi" is also an acceptable choice, and one in wide use, but you run the risk of being informed that it's incorrect. Well-meaning people may tell you that -i is a Latin plural, but "octopus" comes from the Greek. While this is true, the word in fact went from Greek to Latin, and only then to English. While the plural is irregular, it's hardly out of bounds.

Those who don't like "octopi" sometimes suggest that the correct term is "octopodes." Nobody ever uses "octopodes" outside of arguments about the plural of "octopus." Nor should you.

In short, stick with "octopuses" unless you really prefer the sound of "octopi."

here is some info I copied from the web:

The bite of the blue-ringed octopus may be painless but it is definetly deadly. Its venom contains some maculotoxin which is more violent than any animals found on land. This poison is 10,000 times more potent that of cyanide. Upon being bitten, the victom's nerve conduction is stopped and paralysis sets in after a few minutes. Paralysis is then followed by death. Some symtoms are as follows:

*Nausea

*Blindness

*Loss of all other senses

If you do see someone get bit you should immediatly call 911, and then apply compresion to the wound as if it was a snake bite. Artificial respiration should also be started as soon as possible. The only way to survive is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poisin has worked its way out of the system. There is no anti-venom to date.

Firstly i think they look sick but:

1. extremely poisonous...not worth dying for.. (i live in Australia and whenever these babies get into surf rock overflow pools (pools by the sea with seawater in them) everyone's just look ohh F*** and runs out cause loads of people get stung and many die)

2. Recently read an article in tropical fish hobbyist about a guy who acquired 27 by accident, meaning to get a different variety of octopus. Upon arrival only 10 were alive. Then all but one died after acclimation.

THE SHIPPING SURVIVAL RATES ARE EXTREMELY POOR

Tetrodotoxin causes severe and often total body paralysis; the victim remains conscious and alert...

that sounds fun! Not only does the bite not hurt, so you won't even know until... you're totally awake even tho you can't move or breathe !

simple solution - get one, but don't touch it. :haha:

Walking_Target

lol. one source is old. It's not maculotoxin, it's TTX. Scientists used to think it was maculotoxin

Since TTX bonds to the Na+ channel nerve receptors, it only effects certain muscle groups. It shouldn't be able to affect the heart in any meaningful way, as the heart's electrical impulses do not rely upon the Na+ voltage channel.

If you do see someone get bit you should immediatly call 911, and kiss your ass good bye

:lol:

" this is 911, what is your emergency?".......you got bit by a what?? sir your gonna have to calm down...you said a blue ring octopus from australia? sir are you in the US? .....ok....sir? sir? are you still there? sir?

-20min later if you lucky, EMTs arrive to remove your corpse

:lol:

" this is 911, what is your emergency?".......you got bit by a what?? sir your gonna have to calm down...you said a blue ring octopus from australia? sir are you in the US? .....ok....sir? sir? are you still there? sir?

-20min later if you lucky, EMTs arrive to remove your corpse

BOB SAGAT!

turrets guy rolls in his grave

All this fuss over an octopus and everyone on here has zoos, I also know of a snail called the cone snail, I know the snail is worse(ie less time to live) than the octopus. these snails are beautiful, have a highly polished shell and live under the sandbed, they resemble a type of snail in the industry. I don't recall the type. So the main question is how. I would call Tenacor Aquariums and have a chat with them.

Archived