Coral Vue Hydros

Blue Ringed Octopi

alysia

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blue ring stuff aside...

octopus tank would be sweet...where does one find a secure lid for a tank? Any company that makes these for certain fits? I have this cool octopus near my house that chills in this tidepool...everytime I see him though it has some tentacle damage. Stray cats in the area I bet, they cleanup after the fishermen....and probably attack octopus...anyway, a 4 legged octopus sounds sweet...

my current tank lid sucks, I have a 72 bow that would work for size for this octopus.

i dont know of any companies that make tight fitting lids i think all of them used for octupus are custom made and there is a thread in the invert section about a guy who has an octopus who made a custom top and it looked great and very effective. you should check it out maybe you could get a couple ideas

A have seen where people have custom cut Plexi or had glass cut. Then super glued standard sliding locks to the glass and their tank bezel. It doesnt look bad if done right. The problem with most tanks is the overflow to sump or HOB devices. If you could use an AIO type system it would be great but you would also need to secure the area to the filters/back chambers.

does plexi glass bend? lights wouldn't be an issue.

lnglostsurfer

If it's a standard size tank...wouldn't some of the tops for reptile type terrariums work? I'm pretty sure they make those tight fitting for lizards and snakes. Would be worth checking into for an octopus species tank. But yeah...let's stay away from the pretty patterned octopussesies

there are only 2 confirmed deaths from a blue ring octopus.

And one of them was from a diver that didn't know what it was and he put it on his shoulder.

Their life span's only a year though

4 I believe, but that doesn't change the fact that ANY bite will make you feel like absolute ####, and can still cause lots of damage.

does plexi glass bend? lights wouldn't be an issue.

All you need is actinics for them, they don't like strong lighting.

If it's a standard size tank...wouldn't some of the tops for reptile type terrariums work? I'm pretty sure they make those tight fitting for lizards and snakes. Would be worth checking into for an octopus species tank. But yeah...let's stay away from the pretty patterned octopussesies

People usually suggest pretty oversized tanks for Octo (insert ending here), even if they are a smaller species. It would probably be ideal to get something custom made with a top as suggested above (locking) in a larger size. I think even the teacup sized octo (?) need as large as 55 or even bigger.

Again, no personal experience here, just what I've read / heard.

Pretty sure he was referring to the OP.

Anyway, if you get one post some pics of it before you die. If you search around the net you will see other people (getting flamed) who own them in a variety of tank sizes.

hahahahahaha

there are only 2 confirmed deaths from a blue ring octopus.

And one of them was from a diver that didn't know what it was and he put it on his shoulder.

Their life span's only a year though

mate are you kidding?? theres plenty of reports of fatalaties from blue rings, mind you there is two differeint species of blue rings, the type we have here in australia, are extremly deadly, and everywhere, just down the road from my house fishing the other night me and a mate counted 34 just on the shore in a 10-15 metre distance, the other species is no where near as beautiful or venoums i belive. Also if you want it for looks there a sandy colour with a few dull blue shadings on them, its not till its pissed and scared that it will show these neon colours, so unless you want to torture it to show off its pattens its really quite small and ugly. And if you do want to stir it up for a show you should find a new hobby.

leave them alone, enough said.

Wikipedia: Palytoxin was originally isolated in 1971 in Hawaii from the seaweed-like coral, "Limu make o hana (Seaweed of Death from Hana)"

..Sweet

I want some, well if they look nice.

Walking_Target

*facepalm*

http://www.thecephalopodpage.org/bluering1.php

The author of that article is a doctorate of marine biology who specializes in inverts, namely mantis shrimp.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/aquarius/roy.html

I showed this thread to my local SW store owner. After he finished laughing he went on to say that he has actually had a request or two for them recently and that he *could* get them in and sell them to the folks who asked for them - but he said he didn't feel like risking death over a $30 sale; and I quote "I'm not stupid enough to ****ing handle those things. You'd have to be paste-eating retarded to actually keep one."

My SW guy is awesome, truely a store for people serious about keeping SW (and yes, he deals in other poisonous animals like scorpionfish and so forth). If you get the chance, always develop a good working relationship with your SW dealer.

I digress though. i don't know about you guys, but to me it doesn't seem worth it. It could be made endangered by collection and it's not very long lived in captivity - this is not a good thing to be buying even if it was safe. Combine the very distinct possibility of death in there and you have a rather bad purchase.

TTX will kill you dead inside of 5 minutes; there's no antidote, the best you can hope is somebody finds your ass inside of that window and starts giving you CPR before brain death occurs.

fyi cpr is usually just wishful thinking, even with atropine, epinephrine and defibrilization. if that thing bites you, your ass is toast...even house couldnt save your ass

what if you were in a hospital, already in the ER, next to a respirator before you got bitten. It'd suck having a respirator and regaining nerve function though

fyi cpr is usually just wishful thinking, even with atropine, epinephrine and defibrilization. if that thing bites you, your ass is toast...even house couldnt save your ass

Oh my God. I love this thread. :lol:

what if you were in a hospital, already in the ER, next to a respirator before you got bitten. It'd suck having a respirator and regaining nerve function though

i think the whole 5 min time frame is a bit exaggerated, im sure there is that lucky dumbass that lives from the bite, now what kind of damage it does to the nervous system or its long term affects on how your body works is something i cant answer, my job is just to stop the bleeding and keep you breathing...

im unlucky enough to have seen what medical technology can do for "major nervous system damage", lets say you "live" from the bite, and they have a battery of machinery providing all of your basic functions, helping you breath, keeping your heart beat regular, feed you, and get rid of your poop (called a flexiseal, figure that one out kids)....

you will kinda turn into a piece of "equipment" (furniture is what i call em, cuz everyone knows what a vegetable is) and your up keep will be much more than a very grand reef tank...

but ive also seen a dude with half his head blown off and come back a couple months later like nothing happened

i say go for it, you only live once :lol:

Walking_Target

Blockclimber: TTX is Tetrodotoxin. It's the poison that most pufferfishes and certain other organisms contain.

Basically, it's a nerve toxin the blocks the action of muscles. It is not generally known to stop the heart, but blue ring venom includes a host of other compounds too, so, it's no gaurentee. The heart *should* keep beating, however all voulentary muscle control is gone - this includes breathing.

You don't die of the TTX, you die of suffocation.

Treatment is to be put on a ventilator until your body can process the toxin. Basically, you need to have your breathing done for you, otherwise your blood oxygen levels drop, you pass unconcious and your brain starts to undergo damage from oxygen deprivation. Total death would take a bit longer than 5 minutes, however TTX acts rapidly, and unless someone starts CPR within a few minutes, you'd be very lucky to come away with only brain damage.

Oh, and you're bloody well CONSCIOUS the entire time, right up until you pass out from oxygen deprivation.

Walking_target nailed it spot on. Your muscle function shuts down within five minutes and then you slowly die of asphynxiation...and many more than 2 people have died from Blue-Ringed bites.

Another problem with blue rings (and all cephalopods) is the inking, hence the need for a large tank. Cephalopod ink is toxic in concentrated form. Obviously in the ocean its not a big deal, but in a tank it makes a mess and needs to be cleaned immediately. Plus ask yourself the following: after the blue-ringed inks in the tank, do you really want to reach into the murky water to clean up the tank with it still in there?

I worked at a fish store for three years and in the Marine Biology department of Texas A&M for two years. At the fish store we did have the capacity to get blue-rings, but my boss (and I agreed) said it wasn't worth the hassle or risk...not even for a display tank. We did keep cuttlefish on display though and when they inked it was an immediate mess.

Blue-rings are very cool, interesting and beautiful, but honestly probably fall under those types of animals that are better left in the wild.

Archived