SaltCritters.com

Blue Ringed Octopi

alysia

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they'll live MAYBE 10 months in the home aquarium and can squeeze through things that are the the size of the gap under a door

and there venom is fatal 98% of the time....so good luck with that!!

what ???

i know several ppl that have them

Complications from keeping them without YOU dying aside, they are notorious for not doing well in captivity. They also release toxins into the water, so the water volume necessary for such a small creature means that you will most likely never see this nocturnal animal.

That's fine and all, but I would REALLY recommend having a LOT of experience, and measuring 50 times before cutting once with this animal.

I went to a fish store and I asked them if they had any, they said they had one but got rid of it b/c it kept getting out of the tank, they said they tried everything, eggcrate tops, glass tops, acrylic tops, nothing worked....

Where are you copying and pasting from? What I'm reading says they hunt during the day.

Not copying from anything, this is just what I've read and heard from many places.

Bad troll is bad.

Fine, I'll leave. Poisonous animals are fun....

Pretty sure he was referring to the OP.

Anyway, if you get one post some pics of it before you die. If you search around the net you will see other people (getting flamed) who own them in a variety of tank sizes.

Hmm I just googled, found conflicting information. Some sites say most active during day, others say the opposite:

" It is most active after dark, and spends most of its day hidden in its nest"

" These species mainly hunt during the daytime. "

No idea now!

Its just ill advised at this stage. Octopii in general are very difficult to maintain, let alone one that can easily kill you if you slip up once. If you're determined, try a different species at least. I know theres a dedicated cuttlefish/octopus forum that you could take a look at; just research first instead of going through 4 animals and giving up on the hobby.

I think you should get two... and get one of those tanks that has two tanks and tube in the middle. You know like the hamster trail. It will be cool!

firefishbrain

I agree with blue lorax, I would definately do some sleuthing in a more specialized forum like tonmo (I was actually going to link it, but he beat me to the punch!), and maybe you could find out more specifics or even a more suitable species if it boils down to it. I recall reading some forums and people over at tonmo have had success breeding some species of ceph's already!

Archived