SaltCritters.com

Blue Ringed Octopi

alysia

LOL! This thread delivers. I love seeing misinformation tossed around so freely. So much infact, I don't even know where to start. So, I won't get into anything more than this...

Noob, don't get one. You probably don't have any clue what you are dealing with. I don't mean this in a disrespectful way.

To the rest of you. Look at my avatar. Yeah, I kept one for it's entire lifespan. FLAMEON! I want to see more garbage tossed around here. :lol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere long ago. I don't remember where. It was in someone elses thread. I never started a thread for it myself.

And yes, his name was Mr. Peanut.

Somewhere long ago. I don't remember where. It was in someone elses thread. I never started a thread for it myself.

And yes, his name was Mr. Peanut.

Found it!

But your photobucket doesn't work anymore. :(

i say get a mated pair. Guns can kill you too if you dont take the necessary precautions,yet msny of usstill own them, so wtf?

Eh, I don't think that's a very good comparison.

Quick question for you science fellas.

Isn't poison ingested and venom injected?

Calling it poisonous is incorrect isn't it?

This is what it will look like most of the time.

BROontherock.jpg

Another pic. Really not too colorful. The blue rings are visible, but no intensity.BROTakeoff.jpg

Here is what it will look like when aggrevated, not threatened.

BROavatar.jpg

Here is what it will look like when it means business.

BROfuzzypic.jpg

As an after thought.... If it doesn't want to be seen, it can camoflage itself to where you will never see it. Many a time I searched the tank over, never saw it. Only to have it flash it's color inches away from my hand.

• 2 months later...

Great thread! Sorry I wasn't around when it was brand spanking new.

The mis info is amazing!

The one piece I'll pick at is the illegality of BROs. This has been floating around forever, but no one seems able to point to any legislation that actually backs up the claim. They are perfectly legal to own and import.

As a certified ceph nut (both personally and professionally), I wouldn't get one for my home, and have actually never kept one myself, and would not recommend a potentially lethal escape artist to any non experienced ceph keeper - mostly because there are more interesting and exciting cephs that don't have the potential to kill you.

If you are going to get one, I do recommend two things - a sign near your front door and a card in your wallet. Both explain that if you are found unconscious and not breathing to begin and continue CPR with much detail about BRO's, their toxin, and the fact that it might still be on the loose.

One other interesting tidbit - it appears that the delivery system for the TTX is passive and the venom is not injected at all so its not really possible to tell how much, or how little will be delivered (of course, of there is considerable variation in venom among the 6 or 7 known species, and considerable variation between individuals). So, treat them all like they are loaded guns. :D

Eh, I don't think that's a very good comparison.

Quick question for you science fellas.

Isn't poison ingested and venom injected?

Calling it poisonous is incorrect isn't it?

its an interesting situation, because the octopus itself doesnt produce the toxin that kills you. A bacteria in its salivary glad produces the TTX, which is what's so deadly. From what i know, theres nothing they release into the water column that is deadly in terms of a poison, but octopus in general have ink that can foul the water and kill other occupants (not like anything would survive with an octo in a fish tank anyways). Soooo, technically its like a venom, but its not produced by the octo itself. Ive kept them myself, a lot of personality, but a lot of work too. Keeping cephs is rough; Ive raised cuttlefish from eggs on, and I dont recomend it to those who get attached easily, as losing something with that much personality after a year is always rough.

danthenewreefman

That is like owning a cobra, not a good idea unless it is for a reason!

Its your want for having it worth risking your life?

Octopus don't live long enough, most have less than a 3 year life cycle, and I'm thinking its really like 1 year.

Unless your doing this for a purpose, (studying venom, etc..) then please don't.

If you don't want to listen, good luck, and I wish you the best. I hope you don't die.

That is like owning a cobra, not a good idea unless it is for a reason!

Its your want for having it worth risking your life?

Octopus don't live long enough, most have less than a 3 year life cycle, and I'm thinking its really like 1 year.

Unless your doing this for a purpose, (studying venom, etc..) then please don't.

If you don't want to listen, good luck, and I wish you the best. I hope you don't die.

I believe venomous is correct (BS biology), you call a kimodo dragon venomous even though really he just has poisonous saliva.

PolypGardener

So he's prob gonna get the octo regardless of everyone's ranting about it. The prob with keeping it will be having a tank with no way for the octo to get out. They can fit through anything bigger than thier beak, which is extremely small, not to mention that they are incredibly smart problem solvers. So to the guy who wants the deadly ninja octo, good luck, and to your LFS for selling these to people, FU.

• 2 weeks later...
BostonMike
On a odd note, the common mantis shrimp will rip apart and eat them.

There's only one thing they cant eat.

Blue ring octopuses are beautiful that is we can all aggree upon.

I decided to keep octopuses because of their unique intellegence and their ability to interact with me. I look forward to early evening when he emerges for food and play. To me this is what makes it all worth while. I would strongly suggest you reconsider a species that is less dangerous. In my humble opinion, they are equally as beautiful and not at all dangerous.

You'd be missing out on some incredible experiences such as this...

th_DSCN0509.jpg

I would be kinda scared to get one of these

The blue-ringed octopus is 12 to 20 cm (5 to 8 inches), but its venom is powerful enough to kill humans. There is no blue-ringed octopus antivenom available.

The octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin but was later found to be identical to tetrodotoxin,[3] a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish and cone snails. Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and respiratory arrest within minutes of exposure, leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus

Love this thread. They are illegal in import and own in my state, a close relative who helps with purchasing at a large LFS gets questions about them from time to time and if they can order them.

Try a Marbled Cone Snail instead, at least it won't try to get out of the tank. :P

Archived