Pod Your Reef

Couevas' 20G Tall Mixed Reef

couevas

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure now that it is blue ridge. Either way, I am cool with it for now. We can see how it grows along.

*Update:

Current stock list.....

Mated Pair Occ. Clowns (1 misbar)

10 micro-sized blue leg hermits

15 small Nerite snails

2 medium Nassarius snails

5 medium Margarita snails

1 small cleaner shrimp

1 small emerald crab

1 small head hammer

1 3in red-orange monti cap

1 small superman-ish mushroom

30-40 polyp mixed zoas

1 ricordea florida (detached himself and is somewhere in tank.....doubtful I will ever see him again)

I am undecided on my last (maybe) fish. I am not going to get one for a while yet, but as of now I am leaning towards firefish (normal or purple). I have always liked shrimp gobies for their behavior and such, but unfortunately I am running oolitic sand and I am not in the mood for a daily cloud.

What do you guys think?

BTW,

My ticker is accurate. It has only been 20 days since this setup got wet....

However, I built it with a short cycle in aim and paid a ton at my LFS for some prime LR that had been in his tank for over 2 months.

My cycle was nearly non-existent. I have had crystal water since about day 5....

A note on the emerald choice......

I know these guys can be bad news. They have been trouble for me in the past. However, there is not better for getting problem algae after it is passed the diatom-sized stage. Snails and hermits just suck at the bigger stuff.

Also, I noticed a few small bubble algae starting to pop up. I wanted to nip that in the bud. Also, there is a little sea lettuce garden springing up and growing fast! I don't mind it too much....but it could become a problem quick.

The second the emerald was released, he jumped up on the rock and pulled off a leaf of the lettuce bigger than his carapace and started to munch. Pretty cool.

If he becomes a problem down the road, I should be able to trap him and my LFS will take him right back.

A few more pics....

FTS%20Actinic.JPG

Actinic FTS

Mixed%20Zoas.JPG

Mixed Zoas All Light

Mixed%20Zoas%20Actinic.JPG

Mixed Zoas Actinic

Mixed%20Zoas%20Actinic2.JPG

Mixed Zoas Actinic

Monti.JPG

Red/Orange Monti Cap

and more......

Blue%20Ridge%20Hitchhiker.JPG

Blue Ridge HitchHiker

Superman%20Mushroom.JPG

Superman-ish Mushroom All Light

Superman%20Mushroom%20Actinic.JPG

Superman-ish Mushroom Actinic

Hammer%20Actinic.JPG

Hammer Actinic

Thanks!!

Against obsession, I am trying to go slow.......

Good luck with that lol. I try and go slow, but end up spending 100 bucks over the weekend on new corals heh... I keep telling myself it is an investment and I will make it back when I frag them heh.

Just give in and make your tank look even more awesome.

Good luck with that lol. I try and go slow, but end up spending 100 bucks over the weekend on new corals heh... I keep telling myself it is an investment and I will make it back when I frag them heh.

Just give in and make your tank look even more awesome.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I find myself stopping by the LFS on the way home (about 20 minutes out of the way) for something about every other day.

Luckily my LFS has a lot of 10 buck frags and is willing to frag his bigger colonies for me if he doesn't have a lot of interest from people buying them whole....

I love that hammer coral.

What are you thinking of doing to fill the tank out? More lps? More zoas? You should try and picture it fully stocked in your head and then make your purchases with that in mind. I could see some torches swaying in the current up at the top of the columns.

What are you thinking of doing to fill the tank out? More lps? More zoas? You should try and picture it fully stocked in your head and then make your purchases with that in mind. I could see some torches swaying in the current up at the top of the columns.

In short....yes.

The area where the zoas are would look great with a LOT more zoas growing around it...on that ledge.

The cave opening that has that mushroom would be cool engrossed with rics and cool shrooms.

I like the idea of a LPS orchard around the side and back/top of the left peak.

A nice lobo brain and fungia plate in the sand would be cool.

I am not going to go crazy with SPS, but a couple cool pieces would look great on the right peak...

Of course, acans, chalices and blastos on the slopes where I can safely place them and where they will be happy.

Maybe a big softy....Kenya Tree or Leather somewhere. I like movement.

That is as far as I have gone in my head........

The dilemma I constantly face.......

I want to hit the LFS again today, but "have" to take the wife out to dinner and a movie (at 4, we are geriatric 28 yr-olds with a 2 yr-old).

And I have grad school work to do all day Saturday. Am I going to be able to wait until Sunday to hit the LFS again?

P.S. If you are reading this hunny, it was a joke.....I love our date nights.

Yeah...........

It would be her third trip this week :P

(The reason I was able to get back into the hobby is our 2 yr-old daughter's obsession with the Nemo movie. We had been going to the fish store just to see them often)

Didn't make it today......hopefully tomorrow.

I think I may pick up a Tailspot Blenny, and any new frags Rob at A Red Sea Aquarium has cut up that look cool.......

Hello, fellow Seattlite. Nice start on the tank. I'm looking for a hammer with the same colors as you here at some point. Oh, also good call on the beer too. Try the oaked version if you can too.

...Oh, also good call on the beer too. Try the oaked version if you can too.

Yeah, I am a big Stone guy. I grew up in SoCal and frequented the brewery in Escondido. My favorite is Ruination....by a long shot.

Made it to the LFS tonight.....

New Additions:

Juvenile Tail Spot Blenny

3 Marshall Is. BumbleBee Snails

1 Neon Pink Shroom

1 Neon Green Millepora Frag

A dozen or so EagleEye Zoas (FREE!!!!!)

I am stoked....

(The poor little blenny is pretty wornout though. Looks like a whole night without the moon is in order)

I will see if I can get some taken when I get home from school (~10pm). They will be lunar shots, but should show off the corals well.

The poor little tail spot got pretty stressed out and turned almost solid black with a little light stripes/spots showing through. He was ok in the car ride home and didn't show stress too much (his color and markings were fine), but I don't think he liked his acclimation program. Floating in a bag while the big dumb clowns circle him.....

I know he will be fine, but he may not be very photogenic for a couple days....

SoCalDude,

Are you originally from SB? I grew up in South Orange County and went to college at Cal Poly SLO.

Man I miss the Central Coast......

Archived