Innovative Marine Aquariums

Couevas' 20G Tall Mixed Reef

couevas

Nice challice.....

But no. I haven't seen this one before. I will do some searching later (after I post pics) to see if I can find a name

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive pic update..... :D

Full Lighting FTS

001.JPG

Full Lighting "Unknown" Australian Challice

009.JPG

Full Lighting "Unknown" Blue Zoanthids

016.JPG

Mouth of Softie Cave - Full Lighting

020.JPG

New Ricordea - Full Lighting

025.JPG

Green Milipora (I think)

030.JPG

Tail-Spot Blenny

038.JPG

Montipora Cap. - Full Lighting

041.JPG

Actinic Only - "Unknown" Australian Challice

048.JPG

Actinic Only - "Unknown" Blue Zoanthids

050.JPG

Mouth of Softie Cave - Actinic Only

054.JPG

New Ricordea - Actinic Only

056.JPG

Rose Bubble-Tip Anenome - Close Up Actinic Only

059.JPG

---------------------------------

Everything is super happy and healthy and all are showing great growth. My Superman shroom has split twice now. The pink rodactis is about to split and the nem is looking like he may split.

The new zoas are taking a while to open (only one polyp has so far), but they weren't open at the LFS at all, so I think they are going to be fine.

What do you guys think of that 20 buck challice? :P

059.JPG

Well done with this shot! Great artistic showing by having the larger part of the anemone on the left and then the flowing trails off to the right (of the picture) but slightly cut off.

Cool!

Well done with this shot! Great artistic showing by having the larger part of the anemone on the left and then the flowing trails off to the right (of the picture) but slightly cut off.

Cool!

Thanks man!

Your Aquarium/Vivarium is pure inspiration. Amazing doesn't quite cut it.......

Thanks man!

Your Aquarium/Vivarium is pure inspiration. Amazing doesn't quite cut it.......

Well, thanks back to you!

Awesome pics! Love them all. Chalices look great and that blenny is awesome. Same ric I've got. About to add 2 or 3 more.

Chalice looks nice.

By chance I got a really pretty $20 Chalice yesterday too, will try to post pics of it later today.

Yeah, the blenny settled in very nicely.

I was a little worried about the bull-dozer clowns picking on him, but they took him under their wings and sometimes he almost acts as if he is a third member of their pair.....

Nice pics. Your nem looks really healthy. That pic of your tailspot is pretty cool as well, makes him look like he is torpedoing somewhere.

Nice pics. Your nem looks really healthy. That pic of your tailspot is pretty cool as well, makes him look like he is torpedoing somewhere.

He is a fiesty little guy.

Also, I didn't know they had camo.....when the lights turn off or when I have a hand in the tank, he gets real dark splotches that are nice camo. Pretty cool!

Exciting development this morning.....

----------------------

Every morning, as I am leaving for work around 5:15, I do a quick check on the tank (skimmer level, evap level, nothing distressed, etc.). This morning I was stoked! I found my big female O. Clownfish hosting my RBTA! :happydance:

I had noticed that she was paying it a little extra attention on Monday, and even made a bet with my wife that she would be in it by the end of the week (I though it would take that long to get her sting immunity/resistance built up). Turns out she didn't need that long.

Now, let's see if she lets her little man slave in too........ :P

hey couevas, your "green milli" actually looks to be a green hydnophora

Yeah, I knew I most likely guessed incorrectly. I just couldn't find that name.

Thanks!

Not sure why I wasn't notified of your new posts a couple of days ago...missed out on the photo action. All of your corals look incredibly healthy and happy. Great coloration!!

Definitely keep me posted if your nem ends up splitting....it's a real beauty.

Regarding your "Green Milli" I agree that it's more than likely a Hydnophora...like the one below. Really cool SPS as well.

hydnophora2.jpg

This morning I was stoked! I found my big female O. Clownfish hosting my RBTA! :happydance:

:happydance: :happydance: That's awesome!!!

Yup, that's her.

Mine seems to have longer, more pronounced polyps. But that may just be that it is so small....

You'll have to grab a video of your clown hosting that beautiful RBTA sometime. I bet it's a sight to see.

That's the plan.

If I don't get it done tonight, I will post one this weekend. Hopefully with a new addition or two fingerscrossed

------------

I have read pages and pages for years about the pro/cons and some people's invalidation of concerns about dwarf angels in mixed nano reef environments, but I thought I would ask the couple of you that are actually following my progress.....

What do you guys think about a Coral Beauty? I have always been infatuated by their beauty and wonder if it would be worth the risk. My LFS says his experience has been about 10-15% of time that they pick at/eat polyps. I have actually had a couple in the past that didn't bother my coral. However, today is a new day and my tanks in the past have been bigger.

What do you guys think? Any experience in the matter?

Funny that you ask about Dwarf Angels (Centropyge) as I had mulled over the idea, actually thought about it for months, about getting one for my 20H. After a TON of research, I ended up deciding to hold off until I can get a larger, more spacious tank for one. That's not to say that you can't keep one in your tank, but I wouldn't start off with one any larger than around 1 1/2".

Regarding nipping of SPS, I learned that they don't actually feed on the coral or the polyps, they feed on the mucus that the coral produces once it's been nipped.

It might be worthwhile PMing "spanko" (name is Henry) as he has a Coral Beauty in his BC29 and hasn't had any problems with it. His success has come mainly by always offering some Nori or other algae on a clip in the tank. As long as they are fed and fed well, they are less likely to nip.

Also might want to PM or stop by DFason's thread as he got a Hawaii Flame for his tank, but it ended up nipping.

Best of luck with your decision...they are incredibly beautiful fish. Angels and Butterfly fish are some of my favorites.

OK, I need some suggestions....

I want another fish. I love my O. Clown pair and my Tail Spot Blenny, but I want one more; someone to add some variety to the tank.

What do you guys think? I was originally leaning towards a Coral Beauty, but I am apprehensive. My LFS just got in a True Pygmy Flameback and has a couple Pygmy Cherubs, but I am still not sure on angels, even if they are true pygmys. I like the idea of a goby/pistol pair, and I have always loved YWG's but I am using oolitic sand and I am worried about sand storms and the cloudy water that accompanies much movement in oolite.

Any suggestions? I am open to a lot at the moment and my LFS can get pretty much anything for me and will hold them as long as I want to prove viability/health.

Archived