Top Shelf Aquatics

POP QUIZ TIME!

Rockfish

Rockfish. There is no need to be arrogant, we know you have knowledge here. Coralkeeper, while Rockfish might be a touch overdone and arrogant in terms of his opinions on clams, he does seem to have some sort of idea about clams...so probably not called for. How about you explain to everyone why gaping isnt always a bad sign when it comes to clams.

Im quite intrigued by this PM...it seems to be a very big problem in the US from what i've read here...I also wonder if it is somewhat overdiagnosed because of this? This isn't a problem i've encountered in any clams in Australia (or for that matter seen in Australia), so I wonder if its a disease problem with collection areas? Clearly from the article study presented in another thread here this is highly transmittable so is a bit of a concern.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your the one who said you know nothing about clams... Also, I have 5 clams and have had them for 2.5 years.

wow!!! guess that makes you an expert!!

Rockfish. There is no need to be arrogant, we know you have knowledge here. Coralkeeper, while Rockfish might be a touch overdone and arrogant in terms of his opinions on clams, he does seem to have some sort of idea about clams...so probably not called for. How about you explain to everyone why gaping isnt always a bad sign when it comes to clams.

Im quite intrigued by this PM...it seems to be a very big problem in the US from what i've read here...I also wonder if it is somewhat overdiagnosed because of this? This isn't a problem i've encountered in any clams in Australia (or for that matter seen in Australia), so I wonder if its a disease problem with collection areas? Clearly from the article study presented in another thread here this is highly transmittable so is a bit of a concern.

I like being arrogant......us Yanks do it very well!!!

that may be true in a very small number of cases but 99 out of 100 times the clam is toast
crocea clams are very prone to gaping even if they're perfectly healthy HOWEVER....if there is gaping present for more than a couple of days then chances are the clam is not healthy and it's a crap shoot as to wether they will make it or not

but to say there's NOTHING WRONG WITH GAPING is quite ignorant

in my experience not many live when gaping for more than 24-48 hours......but you're right.....i'm completely stupid and know nothing about clams!!

ask everyone else on this forum how little i know about clams! :lol:

That is not true at all! Just because a clam is gaping doesn't meant its dead. There are people who have had clams gaping for years and they are perfectly fine. Just because a clam is gaping doesn't mean its dead meat. I've had clams gape for a straight month then they would go back to normal. ALL of my clams gaped for at least a few days straight. But by the way your saying it, all of my clams should have died years ago...

crocea clams are very prone to gaping even if they're perfectly healthy HOWEVER....if there is gaping present for more than a couple of days then chances are the clam is not healthy and it's a crap shoot as to wether they will make it or not

but to say there's NOTHING WRONG WITH GAPING is quite ignorant

in my experience not many live when gaping for more than 24-48 hours......but you're right.....i'm completely stupid and know nothing about clams!!

ask everyone else on this forum how little i know about clams! :lol:

Saying its guaranteed toast/dead meat is ignorant as well...

No need to ask everyone, from what I've read, your quite the clam expert. LOL!!!

wow!!! another idiot noob.....not gonna last too long

Your the idiot.

Look at the above.

wow!!! guess that makes you an expert!!

I may not be an expert, but you sure as hell are no expert.

What the hell are you up to CK?

Nothin much, you? :P

That is not true at all! Just because a clam is gaping doesn't meant its dead. There are people who have had clams gaping for years and they are perfectly fine. Just because a clam is gaping doesn't mean its dead meat. I've had clams gape for a straight month then they would go back to normal. ALL of my clams gaped for at least a few days straight. But by the way your saying it, all of my clams should have died years ago...

Saying its guaranteed toast/dead meat is ignorant as well...

No need to ask everyone, from what I've read, your quite the clam expert. LOL!!!

Your the idiot.

Look at the above.

I may not be an expert, but you sure as hell are no expert.

Nothin much, you? :P

Ok Forrest........if you have a clam gape for a month then you probably shouldn't own clams

you type like you're about 16 years old and make no sense......if you have nothing of value to add to thsi thread then please stop responding to it

Your the one who said you know nothing about clams... Also, I have 5 clams and have had them for 2.5 years.

I'm calling BS. Pics or it didn't happen.. Put something next to them so we know they're yours.

I'm calling BS. Pics or it didn't happen.. Put something next to them so we know they're yours.

What should i put next to them? lol

Thanks for answering CK, youve made complete sense. But of course it was left under the radar:

I like being arrogant......us Yanks do it very well!!!

And do you wonder why you piss people off and make yourself a target? Just because this is a forum doesn't mean you aren't liable for your behaviour, so act appropriately.

Anyway I wonder if CK has more of a point here than we realise...perhaps we are too reactionary when it comes to PM? What about gaping...what evidence do you have Rockfish that gaping results in such an extraordinary high death rate...could there be other factors at play...? Why would gaping be a problem as compared to say PM?

Thanks for answering CK, youve made complete sense. But of course it was left under the radar:

And do you wonder why you piss people off and make yourself a target? Just because this is a forum doesn't mean you aren't liable for your behaviour, so act appropriately.

Anyway I wonder if CK has more of a point here than we realise...perhaps we are too reactionary when it comes to PM? What about gaping...what evidence do you have Rockfish that gaping results in such an extraordinary high death rate...could there be other factors at play...? Why would gaping be a problem as compared to say PM?

it's called reasearch.........do some

CK......you actions have gotten you reported to a mod......enjoy the time out!!

Wow,

Ok this is getting a little out of hand - HILARIOUS! - but out of hand.

Clams will sometimes gape in lower flow situations to improve water movement over their gills.

That being said - gaping isn't always a sign of extreme stress or a pre-death indication.

Wow,

Ok this is getting a little out of hand - HILARIOUS! - but out of hand.

Clams will sometimes gape in lower flow situations to improve water movement over their gills.

That being said - gaping isn't always a sign of extreme stress or a pre-death indication.

yes....i know that

but if it's prolonged gaping it's a clear sign of trouble

that's all i was trying to say.....but CK isn't gonna be on the forum long enough to find out

Rockfish, give me one of your clams and I'll fight on your side.

witch ones you want?? Aly already has one......ask her how nice it is!!!

You reported him for disagreeing with you?

no i reported him for the filth about my mother

LOL - Exciting

They can/will also gap during an attack/obstruction on to their feet/siphons...

+1.....that's called stress

Grow up Rockfish. And i'm trying to moderate the stupidity what appears to be two twelve year olds.

lol you have no say here noob

+1.....that's called stress

Just to be clear, In YOUR opinion does stress result in death 99 of 100 instances ?

Having a discussion, not attempting to be a prick...

Man, you're quick to push the report button, Rocky!!!

What's the big deal about clams anyway? I guess I missed the part where you have to be some sort of super genius marine bio mad man to be able to sustain one. IMO, clams are pretty damn easy to keep.

Man, you're quick to push the report button, Rocky!!!

What's the big deal about clams anyway? I guess I missed the part where you have to be some sort of super genius marine bio mad man to be able to sustain one. IMO, clams are pretty damn easy to keep.

yup you're right......

We shall see....just because I may have a low postcount on this forum as I rarely bother to comment...doesn't mean that I haven't been reefkeeping for some time...but hey...if your an expert in clams I shouldnt have to go to other references (which btw I have read...I was just throwing around discussion, you'd be surprised how there is little peer-reviewed evidence of what you claim) now should I? You should have all the answers.

Archived