Pod Your Reef

JBJ28G HQi HOB Skimmer

71GTO

Thanks Rupert, I ordered the Warner H1 from saltycritter. I figured in for a penny in for a pound. I liked that it has one less plug, its quieter(my tank is between the living room and dinning room) and that it is not clear. I do have a lot of windows and natural light, bigger cup, etc...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, you won't be disappointed by choosing the Warner H1. My one tank in the living room gets well lit because of the sky lights in the ceiling. I've had no algae growth in the Warner as of yet. I actually like the blue color to the skimmer, but I wish I could say the same for the Octopus LX-1000 (loud red, but with amazing performance). Salty Critter has excellent customer service and so does Jon at Warner Marine (great guy). Good Luck and keep me posted!

Nemo Niblets

Rupert, I just ordered the H1 from Warner Marine. Do you run the air silencer?

I PMed him about it, and he actually sold me a Demo model of the skimmer. Never seen water, just used as a display! :)

I can't wait. Thanks again for your help.

Rupert, I just ordered the H1 from Warner Marine. Do you run the air silencer?

I PMed him about it, and he actually sold me a Demo model of the skimmer. Never seen water, just used as a display! :)

I can't wait. Thanks again for your help.

Is it the version 2? Yes I run the air silencer. It doesn't hurt performance at all. Its just a muffler really..

This skimmer skims 250gph btw

Btw everyone. The Warner Marine H series skimmers are imported from Taiwan and made by JNS Aquaria. A well respected company with excellent products.

Does the warner fit into your stock skimmer location? I do not want to remove the skimmer basket. Also does anyone know if the deltec fits in the stock location or atleast you can use it and keep the media basket?

Yes it will, but I actually moved it to the right side of the tank with the inlet being in the third chamber and the outlet being in the middle chamber.

Thanks for the quick reponse. I have two more quick questions, then I think I am set. How far up can the lid go, can I get it far enough to prop it up with the jbj posts? Also, currently I have the stock pump on one side and a maxi jet on the other going to a chiller and going into the display through the stock location. I run the water a little low in the back so that you get sort of a waterfall effect over the media basket. Now that I have both pumps going all the time, the water level in the back has dropped in some chambers and is running faster would I need to fill the back up all the way to get it to work or can I extend the pump down futher with a longer hose or something?

Do you have pictures of how you plumbed your chiller? What type of chiller are you using as well? I purchased the Current 1/10 hp chiller and am not sure if the JBJ nano chiller kit will work for plumbing it. Any ideas.

I can take some pictures. I have the jbj mini chiller The installation kit should work I don't see why it won't, The chillers are jsut two hoses All it is are just two pieces. I ended up using just the hook piece and the hoses. I am saving the S shaped piece incase anythinging changes. What I did though was just take out the stock pump put in a maxijet 1200, I used the hook peice to go out of the tank and down to the chiller. I hooked the outlet hose to the fitting that came with the tank on the back wall and the water exits into the display.

Here is a youtube video on hooking up the chiller with the install kit. It is pretty much what I did except I didn't use the S peice. Just a side note too in the video I replaced the one stock pump to run the chiller because I also have an MP10. In the video they have both stock pumps and a third one for the chiller.

Vortech MP10s Rock! Like 71gto stated, its very straight forward.

71GTO ... How is the flow using the stock pump? I'm using a quietone pump on my 1/13 AquaEuro Mighty Pro (externally of course). I just wish that JBJ would move the wall forward by 1/2 and remove those heater and skimmer columns.

Hopefully in the next month or two I will remove the rear wall on a extra HQI cube (marine depot never picked up the broken 28hqi that got delivered, so I just bought an empty new tank off of Ebay for 124.00 several months ago).

I can take some pictures. I have the jbj mini chiller The installation kit should work I don't see why it won't, The chillers are jsut two hoses All it is are just two pieces. I ended up using just the hook piece and the hoses. I am saving the S shaped piece incase anythinging changes. What I did though was just take out the stock pump put in a maxijet 1200, I used the hook peice to go out of the tank and down to the chiller. I hooked the outlet hose to the fitting that came with the tank on the back wall and the water exits into the display.

Here is a youtube video on hooking up the chiller with the install kit. It is pretty much what I did except I didn't use the S peice. Just a side note too in the video I replaced the one stock pump to run the chiller because I also have an MP10. In the video they have both stock pumps and a third one for the chiller.

Thank you very much!

I can't say that I have the greatest scientific method, but I called JBJ as well as a few other people work with JBJ products and explained what I wanted to do, they said the stock pump should be good enough. The chiller called for 150gph, so I figured 266 with head loss from the stock pump should be ok. It might have been ok, just dumping into the back of the tank, but once I hooked it up to the outlet going into the tank, it seemed to really drop off a lot. I guess it couldn't push into the water in the tank. I then tried a maxijet 900 and its was a better, I could watch it flowing better just dumping into the back chambers, but once I hooked to the outlet into the tank it still seemed weak, then I picked up a maxijet 1200 and the flow picked up a lot and when I hooked it to the outlet in the tank you could see it was flowing and moving water. Each time I hooked up a pump I reached in and put my hand near the outlet, you could barely feel water coming out from the first two pumps. The 1200 with the chiller hooked up flows almost the way the stock set up was flowing before hooking up he chiller, the only thing is now I can't use the wave maker unless it is just hooked up to the one pump on the other side. I figured though with the MP10, that is creating enough variation in the flow, so I just have both pumps in the back chambers going full time.

Maybe after playing around and see how everything is. I could trim more off the hoses and that could help reduce the head loss, but see as how I am still adding things equipment to the tank and figuring things out I wanted to leave some slack with the lines.

Did you still want those pics?

That's good to know, thank you. Yeah that one mp10 is more than enough for this tank. Alot of people don't realize the power and ultra wide flow it produces. It's alittle pricey, but you get what you pay for with any of the MPs.

Make sure to take some pics of the WM H1 when it comes in... alot of people are going to be drooling...lol :rolleyes:

Btw... You might get more flow out if you eliminate the 90 degree elbow (connect hose directly to the fitting on the wall) that connects at the wall. Those bends kill alot of flow. I will try to do this tomorrow on the empty tank that I have to see if it improves the flow. I will use a 2 gallon bucket and time how long it takes to fill it using a 38 inch hea d height after chiller. I will let you know if it improves anything at all.

I received the H1 today. The clear plastic air hose peice that the tube hooks to was broken off. I was not able to call saltycritter becasue they are closed wednesdays. I called warner marine they are sending me out a new piece, but it will take 5 days. i am aggrivated to say the least, but what can I do. The guy at warner marine was very nice.

can you take some better pictures of the CPR Aero Force and the Waner Marine H1 sitting on the tank. I'd like to see how exactly they fit into the back chambers.

71GTO,

Did it come like that? Let Jon know at Warner. I'm very sure that he will send one out to you ASAP. You should have received the following with this skimmer...

1 lid cup

1 o-ring

1 collection cup

1 air muffler

1 intake pipe with strainer

1 return pipe with 2 90 degree elbows and a 5 inch straight.

1 top lid

Let me know if everything is there.

Freak,

The H1 mounts the same as the H2. It just has the intake and returns flipped due to the larger sedra 5000. I have placed the pictures in this thread. I will try to see if I have pics when I had the aeroforce on my 28. I only use the aeroforce now to hang in front of my 5 tanks (when ever I clean my skimmers and sumps). Instead of having my systems without working skimmers for 2-3 hours atleast I have the aeroforce skimming in the mean time.

But like I said before. The aeroforce will mount on the left side of the tank (when viewing from the front. The prepump will go attached to a 5 inch 1/2 id hose and placed in the OEM protein skimmer column. The return will empty out in the nano cube pump location. It only takes about 10 minutes to set any one of these skimmers up. I believe the hardest part is adding the water to fill the unit. It's that easy... I will see if I got pics for you Racerfreak.

Yeah, I think everything is there. It is just that the clear plastic peice the hose goes to by the pump was sheared off. I spoke with someone at at warner marine. I don't know who. They told me it is glued in, so they are sending me another one, but it still sucks to have to wait another week. I am going to call saltycritter tomorrow to make them aware of the situation incase there are any other issues.

Yeah the version 2 is the one you want. I'm in Jersey too, Toms River.

Hey I did that 90 degree elbow delete mod that I said I would do. The ouput only increased by about 2-4%. Not very good for the stock pumps due to such low head height rating. With the quiet one pump I get about 175 gph through the chiller return hose entering the tank.

Cool, I am near Hamilton/Trenton area. Yeah that stock pump really doesn't have any power. Plus, I would think when you remove the elbow you would need to bend the hose to get it down the outlet, which would be worse then a nice bend in the elbow.

In the mean time you can wipe down the interior of the skimmer with a clean wet cloth. It will speed up the break in, even though the H1 should immediately pop out some nice thick foam. It sucks that you have to wait for the part, but I know you will be happy with it's performance. If this is the first skimmer that's been on your tank, then you will see a large difference within 1-3 days. The water will be crystal clear. Just make sure to empty the cup out everyday or two, because this thing pulls out septic tank looking and smelling waste. You will see.... :lol:

Sorry for the delay...

Bubbles appear due to high tension in the water and oils from the skimmer. They will disappear within a couple of days once the skimmer slimes up. This happens to all skimmers when new, after cleaning, and after feeding some funk. Did you place the base of the collection cup on the foam height and is it producing thick foam?

The AeroForce is the quieter of the two. The remora is a bit louder due to water injection method. And I will only recommend the remoras with the mag pumps due to the performance increase. Hope that helps out a bit.

Hey Nemo,

Also make sure that the water height is not too low in the rear chambers (this causes bubbles due to the water fall effect). On my 28g jbjs I place foam directly under the return of the skimmer.

Archived