Cultivated Reef

JBJ28G HQi HOB Skimmer

71GTO

I have searched the archives and read through many posts, but I still feel unclear. Many of the topics and posts contradict themselves. What HOB skimmer will fit in the stock skimmer location without having to do any modifications or at the very least very little modification for it to fit? I see the AquaC Ramora mentioned a lot in the posts, but then there is a topic from somone having to do a decent amount of work for it to fit and work right. Any information is much apprciated.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the JBJ28G Quad which I assume other than lights is set up the same in the back chambers. I use the protein skimmer from JBJ that was made for the 28g and it has been working fine for over a month. After dialing it in it has been working really well for me. The only problem lies in the fact that the cup needs to be removed if you want to open the hood completely, and the tubing that came with it had to be replaced as it was kinked and constantly blew off the supplied air pump.

I have an Aqua C Remora on my JBJ 28gallon.

All you need to do is cut some of the black plastic that separates the back compartments to fit your mj1200. It works great!

i can try to take pics for you if you need?

PM me if you need help.

I have an Aqua C Remora on my JBJ 28gallon.

All you need to do is cut some of the black plastic that separates the back compartments to fit your mj1200. It works great!

i can try to take pics for you if you need?

PM me if you need help.

I'd be interested in pictures on your setup. I also have a NC28 and Remora skimmer. I didnt do any modifications in the fuge. I have the mj1200 powerhead sitting in the center compartment, but this setup doesnt allow my original media basket to fit inside the center compartment anymore.

I'd be interested in pictures on your setup. I also have a NC28 and Remora skimmer. I didnt do any modifications in the fuge. I have the mj1200 powerhead sitting in the center compartment, but this setup doesnt allow my original media basket to fit inside the center compartment anymore.

certainly can do that without any mods, i just have my center area set up as a fuge!

I have a JBJ 28 NanoCube HQI - from everything I read the stock skimmer gets sh*t on, I decided to give it a shot anyways and it works pretty well , when you adust it just right. I'm sure there's better skimmers but sometimes good , is good enough.

Thanks. What pump are you using with the Remora? Also That tube going around the skimmer, is that part of the skimmer?

the tube is the return on the uv filter,i am using a maxi-jet 1200 on the skimmer it is a tight fit but it will fit under the media basket

Oh? You have the pump in the media basket chamber? It looked like it was in the stock skimmer chamber. So you have the pump on the bottome of the big chamber in the middle and then the basket fits in next to it?

Oh? You have the pump in the media basket chamber? It looked like it was in the stock skimmer chamber. So you have the pump on the bottome of the big chamber in the middle and then the basket fits in next to it?

the pump is under the media basket the tube runs up into the skimmer chamber to attatch to the skimmer

• 2 weeks later...

The CPR AeroForce fits perfectly in the back left hand side. It will pull the water from the stock skimmer chamber location of the 28hqi and return it the pump chambers. You also will be able to open the hood nearly all the way and not have to worry about fluctuations due to the fact that its driven by a prepump (Hydor Pico 400). I have one on 1 out of my 2 28g nano cubes. The other one sports a WM HX2 (skimmer has to come off to open the hood).

BTW, its actually pretty quiet stock (44 DB) and quieter (39 DB) if you add a silencer to the air intake. Bubble production is alittle bit less than a sedra 5000 pump.

I think I understand a bit better.The Pico pump pumps in the water and there is an air pump to make the bubbles. WOuld you say the air pump that comes with it is quieter then the one that came with the JBJ skimmer. That is a big reason I want another skimmer I can't stand how loud the pump is and if I am going to spend the money on a quieter pump I would rather put it towards a better skimmer.

Archived