Top Shelf Aquatics

JBJ28G HQi HOB Skimmer

71GTO

I think I understand a bit better.The Pico pump pumps in the water and there is an air pump to make the bubbles. WOuld you say the air pump that comes with it is quieter then the one that came with the JBJ skimmer. That is a big reason I want another skimmer I can't stand how loud the pump is and if I am going to spend the money on a quieter pump I would rather put it towards a better skimmer.

Yes it is quieter than the stock crappy bubble maker. You do hear the skimmer working, but it is quieter. Also you will be able to use the media basket. This site is not allowing me to show you the Nogfest that the Aeroforce produces!?.... Anyway how to get the picture up on here?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Yel01z06,

I believe that you can run your skimmer on the opposite side (right side when facing the front of your tank) without having to have that pipe coming up the middle and lowering the performance of the Remora. If you take out your media basket you can drop the pump thru the middle and move it towards the heater section of the overflow. Then all you would have to do is connect it back. Then you will have the middle section freed up, skimmer pump pulling from the heater side, and the return output of the skimmer going to the return side. I actually fit a ViaAqua 480 pump down there with no problem at all. The dimensions of the ViaAqua is 3Lx2.5Hx2W. Nice tank btw...:)

Hey Yel01z06,

I believe that you can run your skimmer on the opposite side (right side when facing the front of your tank) without having to have that pipe coming up the middle and lowering the performance of the Remora. If you take out your media basket you can drop the pump thru the middle and move it towards the heater section of the overflow. Then all you would have to do is connect it back. Then you will have the middle section freed up, skimmer pump pulling from the heater side, and the return output of the skimmer going to the return side. I actually fit a ViaAqua 480 pump down there with no problem at all. The dimensions of the ViaAqua is 3Lx2.5Hx2W. Nice tank btw...:)

cool thanks i was acctually working on something to take care of that problem the skimmer still works pretty good but i do think i am losing something i might just give that a try thanks

Your welcome Yel01z06. Sometimes the answer is in front of us and we don't see it. Happens to me all of the time ;)

Now back to skimmers for the Nano cube 28g..

Whether anyone picks out a remora or the cpr it's up to them. They are both made by good companies. Just don't pick out the Nano version of the remora or the cpr bak pacs. It is a waste of money and you will sooner realize that the skimmer can not handle the loads being placed in these small tanks. For roughly 40-60 bucks more get yourself a skimmer that your system can grow with, because you never know when your going to upgrade to a larger tank later on.

The only skimmers HOB skimmers that I find worth it in this price range is Remora (174.99) and CPR Aeroforce (168.99). These two will go head to head with a Deltec MCE 300 HOB (300.00). Next step up would be the Warner Marine H1 version 2 (206.00) (needs to be taken out out in order to raise the hood to full extension). The Warner is the best one in my opinion due to always delivering a stable foam head due to the bubble plate, smooth transition neck built into collection cup, being designed and performing similar to an quality in sump skimmer.

The best one in my opinion is the Warner Marine and you won't be disappointed with its performance. I have owned all of these skimmers and only base my opinion on performance after full break in and fine tune.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I am going to go with with remora, but am going to take another look at the warner. Does it fit without anything mods at all? ALso, do you you need to remove the whole thing to open the lid or just the collection cup? If you do need to remove the whole thing does it then need to be adjusted again once you move it?

I just put the Warner Marine H1 on my 28 Nanocube. It's a solid skimmer and makes crazy bubbles with the Sedra 2500 and pinwheel impeller.

Does the warner fit into your stock skimmer location? I do not want to remove the skimmer basket. Also does anyone know if the deltec fits in the stock location or atleast you can use it and keep the media basket?

yes, both the H1 and the H2 fit. If you want to be able to open the hood withouttaking out the skimmer you have to cut the return tube 1/2 inch and the input tube 1/4 inch due to the schedule 80 pvc fittings being too long in depth. But I believe that the H1 is the king for the money and performance. It is an amazing skimmer due to the volute and pinwheel design. I have both the H1version 2 and two Hx2 version 2 (1 originally was on my 28g nano) . The H1 is over kill for the this application (meant in a good way). Warner Marine always under rates their skimmers. I actually asked Jon Warner if his company is coming out with the HX3 the other day. No responce yet...

Imagine....7 inch barrel, 3.5 inch neck, and a sedra 9000.... ;)

Also to answer your questions further. No you will not need to remove the media basket. After you take out the H1 you will only need to start the siphon (suck on air hose, dip air hose in the water, or plug up air hose with your finger). Once the siphon occurs, skimmer fills up with water and levels out with the return. Just make sure that you have enough water in your back chambers.

Setup steps for H1.

1.Rince interior of skimmer with warm water and dry.

2. Position skimmer so the intake of skimmer is sucking from the stock skimmer location column of 28 Nano Cube and the return side of skimmer is positioned above the tank pump area.

3.Fill skimmer with water to the bottom of the return pipe..

4. Turn skimmer on.

5.Start siphon

6. Adjust the base of the cup anywhere between water line and foam line within the reaction chamber.

7. Put back the H1skimmer cover and then the cup lid.

Coralvue makes good skimmers too. I believe that the HOB BH 1000 will not fit without some modifications due to the intake ( a hose will have to be added to extend below water line) and return being so far apart( I believe its about 6 inches apart).Unit is nearly 9 inches in width. Also it has an exterior mounted pump and it will be louder. I also heard that the alot of the BH series HOBs flood. I have only experience with the Super Reef Series of HOBs from CoralVue, but these will not fit with out removing the false wall of course...

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents after skimming "get it?" this thread...

I'm going with the stock skimmer (air driven, limewood airstone) with an upgraded Coralife Luft Pump, the little brown one, and couldn't be happier. The dial on the pump makes adjusting the bubbles a snap and I usually set it and forget it within an hour or two of any maintenance in the tank (skimmer always acts up after I have my hands in the tank...skin oils and all I guess).

I did try the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer for the 28 and it just didn't do it for me (after taking a dremmel to my tank...I wish I had just upgraded the air pump first).

So, there is another option if you are willing to keep the "old" air driven, wooded air stone technology.

Chuck

clownfish14

Im confused i was reading about the Warner Marine skimmer and was wondering witch one is better the small or the big?

thanks

Yeah the stock skimmer does work much better with an upgraded air pump rather than running it with the one JBJ supplies.

The eshopps hob (75/100)does not fit due to spacing of the pipes and those skimmers are super loud due to the pump being on the exterior and it has problems starting due to the meshed pinwheel setup.

Now on the Warner Marine....The H1 version 2 is the one you want. This can be purchased at SaltyCritter.com for the earlier stated price with free shipping. Setup instructions were posted earlier on the thread.

The CPR AeroForce can be bought on ebay for 159.99 with free shipping ( I just checked)

The remora is always around the 170.00 ballpark range with the maxijet 1200(also a good skimmer, but you have to be on top of maintenace with it so it performs due to air jet injection getting clogged)

If funds are tight, just stick to the stock with an upgraded air pump as one reefer stated. It beats not having a skimmer. I believe that the skimmer is one of the top 3 of needed steps to maintain a healthy reef tank or any saltwater tank. Anyone that has added a decent skimmer to their setup will tell you the benifits. It really is a night and day difference.

I bought a biocube 8 for my wife about 6 months ago. I try to involve her with my hobbies and that way she doesn't complain too much when it comes to spending. So, as many of you know there is no skimmer that fits on the biocube 8. I converted an aquatic mini 115 internal skimmer to HOB. And water is condition is crystal clear...

Nemo Niblets
Your welcome Yel01z06. Sometimes the answer is in front of us and we don't see it. Happens to me all of the time ;)

Now back to skimmers for the Nano cube 28g..

Whether anyone picks out a remora or the cpr it's up to them. They are both made by good companies. Just don't pick out the Nano version of the remora or the cpr bak pacs. It is a waste of money and you will sooner realize that the skimmer can not handle the loads being placed in these small tanks. For roughly 40-60 bucks more get yourself a skimmer that your system can grow with, because you never know when your going to upgrade to a larger tank later on.

The only skimmers HOB skimmers that I find worth it in this price range is Remora (174.99) and CPR Aeroforce (168.99). These two will go head to head with a Deltec MCE 300 HOB (300.00). Next step up would be the Warner Marine H1 version 2 (206.00) (needs to be taken out out in order to raise the hood to full extension). The Warner is the best one in my opinion due to always delivering a stable foam head due to the bubble plate, smooth transition neck built into collection cup, being designed and performing similar to an quality in sump skimmer.

The best one in my opinion is the Warner Marine and you won't be disappointed with its performance. I have owned all of these skimmers and only base my opinion on performance after full break in and fine tune.

What is the noise on the Warner Marine? I have no problem with opening or closing the hood. I want one that can handle a SPS dominated reef, but still be as quiet as possible. Under 200 bucks, the deltec is way out of my budget.

My tank is open top, if that matters.

Which is quieter, the warner marine or the aeroforce?

Thanks!

Dylan

Thanks rupert, Can tell you I have having a really hard time with this? I'm terrible, if there are more then two choices. I go nuts. I do like the sound of the warner, and if I am willing to get 170 something. I would go 200. I just don't like that I would need to take off to open the lid. Being new to the hobby, I seem to have to constantly go in there to fix something, add something, ect. Can you atleast open the lid enough for it to be held up on those props on the tank? Also, I don't know how i feel about having to put my mouth on a tube I sticking into a skimmer to start the syphone... The Aeroforce is pretty new and I havn't found to many people that have anything good or bad to say about it other then in this thread. The only minor thing I can see might be annoying is that it has two pumps and I am running out of spots on my power strip. Are there any major maintence things with this skimmer, would I need to buy parts for it? The Remora seems to be the standard go too, skimmer and lots of people have them and like them. I was going to get he model with the drain fitting so I don't have to worry about flooding anything when I am getting it set or go away. But they can be loud and your also saying they need to be cleaned frequently. How hard is cleaning them? With the former and the latter you canleave them on and open the lid, which is a big plus for me. So, I'm stuck on a decision.

Hey Dylan,

The warner is the better skimmer of the two due to the fact the way its designed. The warner could easily handle a 50g sps tank.

The AeroForce is good too, but I would not throw anything above 40g with heavy bioload.

I will state pos and negs of each...

Warner Marine HX1

Pos

Famous Warner Marine quality construction

Cylinder reaction chamber and cup built with a gradual neck (just like better in sumps).

Larger cup size for less frequent emptying.

Sedra 2500 pump volute/venturi needlewheel is optimized for the skimmer.

Very consistent performance (reminds me of a good external/internal sump skimmer

Can add probes in unit.

Body is see thru translucent indigo blue to reduce algae growth.

True 50g performance.

Cons

Not as easy to clean as the AeroForce.

Not recirculating like the AeroForce.

Expensive pump

CPR AeroForce

Pos

Recirculating design

Water flow can be adjusted to fit your application

Easy to clean

Well made

Can add probes to unit

Quiet

Replacement pumps are cheap.

Cons

Has to be painted black or covered to reduce algae growth

Not optimized as good as the WMH1.

Cup is very generic and not effecient due to rectangular reaction chamber.

These opinions are from my experience. I like all the skimmers mentioned in this thread except the eshopps due to the noise levels. If you got the 206.00 for the Warner get i (its worth it), but if money is tight and you want to save a few bucks so that you can pick up a new frag or something get the AeroForce. Both of these skimmers will do your tank justice. I have both these HOB skimmers and they both have a special place in my heart within my collection...

Nemo Niblets
Hey Dylan,

The warner is the better skimmer of the two due to the fact the way its designed. The warner could easily handle a 50g sps tank.

The AeroForce is good too, but I would not throw anything above 40g with heavy bioload.

I will state pos and negs of each...

Warner Marine HX1

Pos

Famous Warner Marine quality construction

Cylinder reaction chamber and cup built with a gradual neck (just like better in sumps).

Larger cup size for less frequent emptying.

Sedra 2500 pump volute/venturi needlewheel is optimized for the skimmer.

Very consistent performance (reminds me of a good external/internal sump skimmer

Can add probes in unit.

Body is see thru translucent indigo blue to reduce algae growth.

True 50g performance.

Cons

Not as easy to clean as the AeroForce.

Not recirculating like the AeroForce.

Expensive pump

CPR AeroForce

Pos

Recirculating design

Water flow can be adjusted to fit your application

Easy to clean

Well made

Can add probes to unit

Quiet

Replacement pumps are cheap.

Cons

Has to be painted black or covered to reduce algae growth

Not optimized as good as the WMH1.

Cup is very generic and not effecient due to rectangular reaction chamber.

These opinions are from my experience. I like all the skimmers mentioned in this thread except the eshopps due to the noise levels. If you got the 206.00 for the Warner get i (its worth it), but if money is tight and you want to save a few bucks so that you can pick up a new frag or something get the AeroForce. Both of these skimmers will do your tank justice. I have both these HOB skimmers and they both have a special place in my heart within my collection...

Warner it is. I'd rather recover a bit with a nicer skimmer than regret it down the road. I have read that it is pretty silent. Correct?

Thanks for the quick reponse. I have two more quick questions, then I think I am set. How far up can the lid go, can I get it far enough to prop it up with the jbj posts? Also, currently I have the stock pump on one side and a maxi jet on the other going to a chiller and going into the display through the stock location. I run the water a little low in the back so that you get sort of a waterfall effect over the media basket. Now that I have both pumps going all the time, the water level in the back has dropped in some chambers and is running faster would I need to fill the back up all the way to get it to work or can I extend the pump down futher with a longer hose or something?

The AeroForce does have two plugs and I totally understand how difficult it is. I can open my hood with my warner with the hood pins, but I cut the tubes shorter to be able to (not very hard to do). But if you don't want to do that, then get either the Aeroforce or Remora. The are both good skimmers.

I just laughed about your comment on sucking on the pipe...lol :P You can always dip it in the water or plug it up with your finger.

With the Aeroforce you will only have to buy 5 inches of 1/2 ID flexible pipe at homedepot, fit pipe between skimmer and prepump, remove the adjuster screws, trim the media basket hanging flange just a bit and add water. Thats it very easy. 15 minutes the most. The AeroForce is the quieter of the two. But different strokes for different folks ;)

On the Aeroforce you can get away with that level of water due to that 5 inch pipe I told you about and its basically a skimmer within a sump. The warner marine will not work with low chambers due to the fact that it works off of siphon(water level needs to be high with pumps on). Understand? You actually need to open the slits (make the holes bigger) atleast on the media basket to allow more flow thru. With the AeroForce you will be able to open the hood about 80 degrees and with the warner about 50 degrees. Hope this helps....

Archived