Pod Your Reef

JBJ28G HQi HOB Skimmer

71GTO

Nemo Niblets

Rupert, thanks for all the help. I'm glad you joined this forum... There aren't many people on here with much nano skimmer knowledge, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nemo Niblets

Rupert, both the skimmers you just told me about will be enough on my tank. The final decision is noise. Which is quieter?

Cool, I am thinking I am might go with the Warner. I don't mind filling the water back up. Are you saying I should open the slits up on the media basket now to raise up the water? With both pumps a lot of water just rushs over the media basket it seems like. What I do is when I do a WC I fill it up in the front until the back chamber is where I want it. I am sure I could just keep fililng it up to get it to the top. I am also looking to add a Automatic top off down the road. If I fill the water up all the way and have the warner skimmer in there, can I run an ATO?

Thank you Nemo Niblets for your kind words.

I'm only here to help fellow reefers out and to learn more as I go. :D

Here are the Pics

First is with hood open (first indention).

Second Pic is the rear shots of the pipes (Those are the pipes that need to me shortened before placing the schedule 80 pvc elbows).

Third and last is a picture of a day of hard work...

Btw sorry for the low light level pics. I just need a new battery for my Nikon. Hopefully tomorrow.

Yes, enlarge the the slits of the media basket or build a new one for yourself. Yes the water level should be lower than the media basket support walls where it hangs about 1/2 to 1 inch.

Yes, you can run an ATO

post-49940-1267842702_thumb.jpg

post-49940-1267842714_thumb.jpg

post-49940-1267842728_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rupert, you are the man!! If all I have to do is just shorten a piece of straight pipe. I think I can handle breaking out the dremmel or hacksaw. I think you have definitely answered my questions and then some. I am going to sit down and decide tomorrow.

Well I'm an overkill type of guy and also I have alot of tanks! I had both models of the Warners on my 28g setups. If money was no object 287.00 than the WM HX2 is the Nogcropolis. But all of the skimmers mentioned on this thread are good. Each one has its own merits and cons. I would use anyone of these skimmers. I believe each one serves a different purpose from each other.

I actually would go with the Aeroforce because of money or the HX1. HX2 is like comparing apples to oranges..really

Jon Warner underrates the Hx1 at 50 and the 100 on heavy bioload.

Nemo Niblets

Rupert, can you answer the last question I posted? I think you missed it... my skimmer decision rests in your hands. :)

71GTO

You won't be sorry with any of these skimmers. Some just skim better(drier foam) thats all. If you really on a tight budget go with the AeroForce. 28g sps tank will not be underskimmed with this skimmer. Just remember if you go with the AeroForce, buy 5 inches of 1/2 ID flexible pipe, do not follow CPR cup height instructions unless you like very wet skimming. Neutral skimming is achieved with base of the cup height anywhere between wate rline and foam line. I've tested this setting in three different tanks so thats the sweet spot.

To All

I will be doing in about a month or two a complete wall removal of a 28g nano cube and trying out my Octopus HOB Super Reef Series skimmer. I will be doing a write up of my progress when I get started out.

Rupert, can you answer the last question I posted? I think you missed it... my skimmer decision rests in your hands. :)

I will be right back with an RTA db reading on both skimmers for you.

Nemo Niblets
71GTO

You won't be sorry with any of these skimmers. Some just skim better(drier foam) thats all. If you really on a tight budget go with the AeroForce. 28g sps tank will not be underskimmed with this skimmer. Just remember if you go with the AeroForce, buy 5 inches of 1/2 ID flexible pipe, do not follow CPR cup height instructions unless you like very wet skimming. Neutral skimming is achieved with base of the cup height anywhere between wate rline and foam line. I've tested this setting in three different tanks so thats the sweet spot.

To All

I will be doing in about a month or two a complete wall removal of a 28g nano cube and trying out my Octopus HOB Super Reef Series skimmer. I will be doing a write up of my progress when I get started out.

I will be right back with an RTA db reading on both skimmers for you.

I am so impressed... I dub you the nano-reef skimmer guru.

:bowdown:

Both are about equal 61 db at 3 feet distance (This is with both 28g nano cube pumps and two Koralia nano powerhead). The HX1 is quieter by 1.3 dbs. The HX1 sound levels are concentrated in the 100-300 hertz range and the Aeroforce about 900 hertze so its calls alittle more attention to its self. I can sleep in the same room with either skimmer. They don't have audible pump whine and they get quieter after the pumps break in.

At 10 feet the AeroForce registers 58 db and the HX1 51 db. The AeroForce is louder because of frequency range it operates in. Hope that answers your questions. And again not very noticable while tv is on. Most people listen to the tv at around 80-90 db.

Btw the HX1 reading is without the silencer. take off another db or two. And if you guys have any questions, contact me via e-mail rupertgarced@yahoo.com.

Hey thanks for the guru coronation Nemo. I'm just here trying help everyone out and maybe help them make their choices easier with facts. I've made some of the worst decisions(wasting my hard earned money) starting out in this hobby in 1994 and I wish I had the same help back then. I pass on what I have learnedalong the way to anyone that needs it. :)

Nemo Niblets
Both are about equal 61 db at 3 feet distance (This is with both 28g nano cube pumps and two Koralia nano powerhead). The HX1 is quieter by 1.3 dbs. The HX1 sound levels are concentrated in the 100-300 hertz range and the Aeroforce about 900 hertze so its calls alittle more attention to its self. I can sleep in the same room with either skimmer. They don't have audible pump whine and they get quieter after the pumps break in.

At 10 feet the AeroForce registers 58 db and the HX1 51 db. The AeroForce is louder because of frequency range it operates in. Hope that answers your questions. And again not very noticable while tv is on. Most people listen to the tv at around 80-90 db.

The HX1 is the warner marine H1 Hang-on, correct? I don't know where the HX1 terminology came from. :)

Looks like the WM is better, and quieter. But both are bearable. Time to look into pricing! :)

The Warner Marine HOB series H1 and H2 were version one , version 2 aka HX1, HX2. The original versions performed on par with the deltec mce 300 and 600 (btw my brother has these on his tanks now). Version 2 actually puts the Deltecs to shame and for the money its a no brainer unless you like marketing hype. ;)

Nemo Niblets
The Warner Marine HOB series H1 and H2 were version one , version 2 aka HX1, HX2. The original versions performed on par with the deltec mce 300 and 600 (btw my brother has these on his tanks now). Version 2 actually puts the Deltecs to shame and for the money its a no brainer unless you like marketing hype. ;)

I see. Do you think I could have 2 clowns, a bluespot jawfish, a canary wrasse and a school of 5 small gobies in my NC28 with the WMH1? SPS tank, light feeding.

And to clarify. If I buy the aeroforce, I have to do a slight mod? Or is that just in the OP's case..

Thanks again!

The aeroforce will handle that bioload too. The only thing you need to do is add the 5 inches of flexible pipe, trim the basket hanging flange a bit so it doesn't protrude, and just remove the top skimmer mounting adjustable screws.

The prepump is going to go in the skimmer column, and the return is going to pour into the stock return column. Its very easy. And you will be able to take out the media basket without touching the skimmer. And since your constantly opening the hood you might as well go for the AeroForce. You can always go larger in the future and get the WM ;)

I will post a picture of my trimmed media basket in a few min. so that you can grasp the idea. Pictures tell a thousand words sometimes...

Nemo Niblets
The aeroforce will handle that bioload too. The only thing you need to do is add the 5 inches of flexible pipe, trim the basket hanging flange a bit so it doesn't protrude, and just remove the top skimmer mounting adjustable screws.

The prepump is going to go in the skimmer column, and the return is going to pour into the stock return column. Its very easy. And you will be able to take out the media basket without touching the skimmer. And since your constantly opening the hood you might as well go for the AeroForce. You can always go larger in the future and get the WM ;)

I will post a picture of my trimmed media basket in a few min. so that you can grasp the idea. Pictures tell a thousand words sometimes...

Actually, I'm running the tank open top with a sunpod, so I won't have the hood to worry about.

I would appreciate the pictures. If I can save a couple bucks and still do everything I need, I will.

Here is the picture of the media basket. Sorry about that filter material in the way, but I use it after feeding to catch any food that goes through the overflow. Also the prepump almost rotates in 360 degrees in most directions. Hopefully that makes sense to everyone.

The second picture is to show you the size of the AeroForce mounted in front of the 8g biocube. As you can see it didn't take long for the seahorse to fall in love with it. Notice the size of the pump screw. Its only 1/2 in diameter. And the seahorse is only 2 1/2 inches long. Very tiny powerful pump 100gph.

post-49940-1267850265_thumb.jpg

post-49940-1267850836_thumb.jpg

And the good thing about the AeroForce is that its sucking water from your overflow area and returning it into the return. Very effective because its not just sucking up water from the overflow and pouring it right back in. That is why I recommended someone with a remora to try to reposition their skimmer. So it works more effeciently..

BTW Nemo,

I added two pieces of filter material cut two 3 inch X 1/4 inch strips and placed these on each side between where the air pump mounts. This eliminates any isolated vibrations and sounds. And adjust the air adjuster so that there is a pin head size opening. This produced the smallest and best bubbles in the reaction chamber.

Good night everyone...

Nemo Niblets

Impressive. Thanks so much for your help. I think I have decided on the Warner Marine...

I learned so much tonight. You are indeed the skimmer guru.

You won't regret it Nemo. Actually... your aquarium is going to thank you. Please keep me updated on the skimmer. On the Warner marine place the bottom of the cup at the foam line. And remember to wipe down the skimmer with hot water and dry with towel. This will further reduce breakin time (slime up). You should see results within 4 to 6 hours with this skimmer. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask since it doesn't come with instructions.

I don't know if it will make a difference. My tank isn't really an sps tank. I have 2 clowns, a watchman goby, and a fire fish. I might add another fish, but not for a while. Mostly I have zoas, xenia, a leather and a frogspawn now. I am seriously considering a rose bubble tip anemone. I don't know if that changes anything.

A better skimmer would give you better headroom for bioload. Like I stated earlier... The AeroForce will be more than enough and you will not be under skimming your tank. Its a nice skimmer. Not the top tier performer, but a solid well thought out little skimmer.

The AeroForce is a "Jack of all trades". It does what its suppose to do. I believe you will be happy with it. The Warner Marine just skims that much better. In the HOB skimmer world, I consider the WMs and Octopus Super Reef Series cone version (SRO LX-1000) to be the best.

Also keep in mind that you can use some of these HOB skimmers as hang on sump.

And on any skimmer please do routine maintenace and cleaning every 2-3 months, clean pump, needlewheels, all acrylic surfaces, ect.... This will keep the skimmer performing at full and improving long term reliability.

Archived