Coral Vue Hydros

JBJ28G HQi HOB Skimmer

71GTO

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI to everyone. Jon has just a couple more H1 v.2 units that will be sold as demo units. He is selling these at reduced prices. Please PM or email him if interested.

I appreciate your response and your desire to handle the matter directly. I do belive that you have excellent customer service and an great reputation. I was not aware of the exact day it was sent out and was under the impression it went out the day we spoke and expected it to receive it yesterday. I did ask you if you needed any more information from me, retailer, etc... and the person I spoke with said no. It is just that I was not informed that is was not sent and there would be a delay. When I called and was told it was not sent, I asked if it could be sent quicker given that I had already waited a week. Otherwise, it probably would have been sent out regular ground, which as you told me is five business days. I won't receive the part until next Wednesday. If I had known about the delay, maybe I would have handled the situation differently. It may have been best to deal with the company I purchased it from. My concern is that I have a decent amount of money involved and finite amount of time to return the item or deal with any other issues that may arise. I am in NJ, you are in California and the retailer is in Ohio. I doubt that there would be any other issues and that this was a fluke, but I am concerned.

I don't want this to get into an argument, I believe you are a great company, this will be resolved and I will have a great skimmer. I just want you to understand where I am coming from. :happy:

Warner Marine

71GTO, well it'll be there the day after tomorrow and you can get that H1 fired up... if you ever need any tips or anything just let me know.

I received the part and it is up and running. There has been some light colored skimmate coming out already. I will report back after it is broken in and dialed in.

• 4 weeks later...

The Warner Marine H1 skimmer has been installed for 3 weeks now and my tank has improve drastically since then. I have been doing regular 2-3 gallon water changes weekly and I have never taken the rocks out and scrubbed them or anythin like that. I still have a little algae left but its about 10-15% of what it once was. The tank is also looking much more clear now! So it was either the tank is maturing or the warner marine is helping alot or both! It should be 100% gone within a month or so. Now I just need to get rid of a little bubble algae I found :happy:

Here are some pis, I have some old pics in the previous pages and you can see the change. I tried to snap the same rocks. These pics are NOT after I cleaned ANYTHING, matter of fact these pics are 7 days AFTER a water change.

post-20606-1271456157_thumb.jpg

post-20606-1271456163_thumb.jpg

post-20606-1271456168_thumb.jpg

post-20606-1271456172_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

First off - great thread - very informative. Thank you (especially Rupert32).

I've been running a Sapphire Aquatics NC28 on my JBJ 28HQI for about a year and recently noticed I wasn't pulling out much in the collection cup. Turns out the impeller is worn down and/or pump is not performing up to speed. I understand that Kyle at Sapphire has closed up shop (too bad - nice guy). I'm not talented enough to modify the impeller so I'm looking for a new solution.

My current setup (facing front of tank):

1.Right chamber - maxijet 1200 to JBJ Mini-artica chiller then into elbow and back into display

2. Heater

3.Middle chamber - NC 28 skimmer (media tray removed)

4. Stock skimmer - empty

5. maxijet 1200 return pump

in-tank: mp-10

I had an AquaC Remora on the tank for a while but never got it right and struggled with fitting the pump in the left chamber (5) on top of the return pump. I do understand that there are mods that could make this work better - but I'm not a great mod guy.

Some questions:

1. Is there an easy way to fit the Remora that I'm not seeing?

2. On the Warner Marine H1 and the CPR Aeroforce - how high do they come above the top of the jbj 28 hood (I'm good with the Remora, and the NC28 - just seeing the collection cup). I don't want anything really protruding. I really like a nice, clean look.

3. How easy is it to clean the H1 or Aeorforce (looks the the Aeorforce might be tricky to get the pump out)?

4. Any thoughts on a refugium given my current setup?

Thanks for any advice here.

Regards.

David

(couple of pics below taken in 2008)

300063889_xnByx-L.jpg

300063859_qQuaf-L.jpg

In response to my message to RupertR32:

Hey David,

The CPR AeroForce would be about the same height as the remora. The Warner Marine is about 3-4 inches taller due to the higher performance.

The AeroForce is very easy to fit on the 28 jbj. All you need is a 1/2 ID tube that is about 5 inches long. You will connect the Pico 400 prepump to this tube and the other end to the skimmer intake tube. The Pico is small enough to fit in the stock skimmer location column. Its about the size of a motorola express beeper pager. Its very small and silent. The WM H1 just has the intake tube and the overflow.

On the clean up... The AeroForce and H1 is very easy to clean with the Tunze brush kit. All the remora models with the injection spray have to be cleaned once a month to maintain good performance. The Aeroforce and H1 will only need cleaning when the inside body is very dirty (about every 3-6 months). I clean my skimmers every 3 months along with every pump in my tanks.

You may post this reply in the forums.

Take care

I also asked:

So if the Pico fits in the tock skimmer location (2nd from left facing tank) then I assume the water return from the skimmer goes into the far left return chamber?

Also - is it easy to hide the power cord from the skimmer so it's not too visible?

Lastly - if this leaves the middle chamber totally free do you use the jbj media tray or did you convert this to a fuge?

Thanks for all the help.

Regards.

David

• 1 year later...

I just want to add an update to this topic for anyone who may be researching the archives. My warner marine H2 skimmer now appears to be junk after a year and a half. It worked great when it worked. The pump has died. I called warner marine and was told that they redesigned the whole skimmer (after only being out a short time) and they don't use this pump anymore and i am out of luck. They mentioned maybe I should have been cleaning the pump, but their skimmer had no instructions and the inside of the pump was totally clean. Sedra also appears to no longer make the pump and the "direct replacement" is nothing like the old one. So $200 is now garbage... I will not be buying anything from Warner Marine again.

Maybe I should start again.Can anyone recommend a good skimmer that will fit in the back of a JBJ 28 nano without that much hassle?

I just want to add an update to this topic for anyone who may be researching the archives. My warner marine H2 skimmer now appears to be junk after a year and a half. It worked great when it worked. The pump has died. I called warner marine and was told that they redesigned the whole skimmer (after only being out a short time) and they don't use this pump anymore and i am out of luck. They mentioned maybe I should have been cleaning the pump, but their skimmer had no instructions and the inside of the pump was totally clean. Sedra also appears to no longer make the pump and the "direct replacement" is nothing like the old one. So $200 is now garbage... I will not be buying anything from Warner Marine again.

Maybe I should start again.Can anyone recommend a good skimmer that will fit in the back of a JBJ 28 nano without that much hassle?

Remora AquaC. I was in the same boat. Works well. Hangs on back not in the chamber .

The pump has to go in the back chamber though? That fits ok? So, are you saying you bought a Warner marine skimmer and it died on you too?

I did not buy a Warner marine. You are correct - the pump goes in the far left chamber - you must remove the return elbow to put it in but that is easy enough. This setup allows me to use the middle chamber for inTank media basket and also have the skimmer (in the two left chambers while facing the tank). All works well.

Archived