Pod Your Reef

Kitty's 34G Oceanic Cube

Kittysnax

sorta kinda good news i suppose:

I have a tiny bit of bryopsis missing. It isnt much of a dent, but enough to know that the crabs seem to be interested enough to eat it.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

Here was my order. The numbers in red was what I recieved:

Dwarf Ceriths - 30 - 149!!!!

Florida Ceriths - 6 - 7

Nassarius - 6 - 7

Sm.-Med. Nerites - 6 - 7

Empty Shells - 15 - ALOT (see pic)

Chaeto - 1

Penny Macro - 1

----

Total: Happiness!

The Nassarius snails went right to work when I dumped them in. I am 100% certain the "Nassarius" snails I got from my LFS are in fact....not Nassarius Snails now. These guys are HILARIOUS! Doin 360's to right themselves and then goin sand-snorklin'. The Nerites are slow bloomers and are just kinda sorta pokin thier heads out. The Floridians arent movin a nudge, but I know they are alive and the Dwarf Ceriths seem to be roamin at a steady pace.

The chaeto I stuck in the display for now since I do not have a seperate light for my fuge mod. I caught a big bug in it. Im guessin it was an amphipod cause it was a good 1/4th of an inch and seemed like a lil shrimpy thing. He was cute so I left him alone. I also like my red penny macro. I stuck it next to the chaeto. Probably a bad move, but Ill be watchin it.

My mom said that she felt bad for my clown and wanted to buy him an anemone. I straight up said no and told her that if my tank was in better shape by my b-day (March 18th) that I wouldnt turn down a big honkin cluster of GSP though. So thats my goal now.

OK PICTURE TIME! WARNING FIRST: PIC INTENSIVE!!!

15 shells? Yea right! :D

DSC01525.jpg

Chaeto:

DSC01528.jpg

Escargot anyone?

DSC01526.jpg

Nassarius Snail

DSC01530.jpg

"FUD FUR MEH?" Says the Peppy:

DSC01531.jpg

Chaeto and Macro rock:

DSC01532.jpg

Red Macro closeup:

DSC01533.jpg

Zoomed out FTS:

DSC01534.jpg

Close up FTS:

DSC01535.jpg

TA-DA!

And as if that wasnt enough, I thought I would show you all why the Sphynx is called a Sphynx.....

DSC01536.jpg

She doesnt care if mom is pinning a quilt together. As far as shes concerned the quilt is blocking her sunshine spot

you totally should!

Im enjoying the Nass. Snails more than any of them though as they are the most active. the Nerites have gone to the top in the corner and arent budging and a few of the ceriths are at the top of the water line but they are munching on the glass all the way up. Most are still in the sand, in the chaeto, or on the macro rock.

DSC01536.jpg

"So, I am to receive thirty percent for finance, for legal protection and political influence. Is that what you're telling me?"

or "I got a business to run. I gotta kick asses sometimes to make it run right. We had a little argument, Freddy and me, so I had to straighten him out."

that is what mr kitty is saying

"So, I am to receive thirty percent for finance, for legal protection and political influence. Is that what you're telling me?"

or "I got a business to run. I gotta kick asses sometimes to make it run right. We had a little argument, Freddy and me, so I had to straighten him out."

that is what mr kitty is saying

ROFL!

meganistkrieg

Waaaaaaah!! So many snails! Pretty hilarious, though - did you just pour them in??

My tank is algae-crazy right now, I can't wait to get my CUC going in it, as soon as my cycle calms the hell down. You've definitely convinced me that reefcleaners is the way to go - nice bonuses, too! :D

How is are the hermit and pep handling so many new tankmates??

Waaaaaaah!! So many snails! Pretty hilarious, though - did you just pour them in??

My tank is algae-crazy right now, I can't wait to get my CUC going in it, as soon as my cycle calms the hell down. You've definitely convinced me that reefcleaners is the way to go - nice bonuses, too! :D

How is are the hermit and pep handling so many new tankmates??

LOL! Nah, I acclimated them how John said to then I just counted them out as I dropped em in. It was so funny when I was dumpin them in though, the Clownfish thought they were food so he went to peck at them but realized they weren't. The Peppy went over and turned them over one by one to see what they were, but then realized it was a waste of time and went back into hiding. The Hermit also went new home shopping, but didn't find any to his liking. I put the empty shells in there but I guess he didn't find them too appealing yet either.

As for the Emerald Crabs, I thought they were making progress with the Bryopsis, but nope. I ordered the WMD's (Kent Tech-M) and hopefully it should be here this time next week. That way I will still have time to see if they get their rears in gear and start eating, or not. I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.....hence why I didnt overnight it LOL....but seriously the tank is looking like a friggin' brown/green meadow. Its KINDA pretty, but not really....I want it gone. Its everywhere. My entire shelf is a grassy field..../facepalm

OClownsandNanos

Glad you got your snails in! Keep your eyes out for the nightly migration - you'll know what I mean when you see it in action. And boy, with all those dwarfs, you'll see it it action!

I kinda think of the dwarf ceriths as the "silent assassins" because you can't really see their progress on an hour-by-hour basis like with the astreas/turbos, but one morning I realized my sand bed on the living room side was an awesome clean white and much of the rubble/rockwork on that side have not one algae hair, and I know it's because of them. :) Their nightly migration tends to be on that side of the tank.

As I wait for my video to be uploaded to Photobucket, I figured I'd start doing some math.....and sadly see how far OVER budget I am. My initial Budget set by the husband was 450$. Here is what happened....

Initial Purchase:

*Oceanic 34G Cube & Stand - 150$

*Octopus 100 HOB Skimmer - 60$

AC70 - 50$

Koriala Nano - 25$

Koriala 1 - 28$

Oceanic Biocube Hydrometer - 13$

Glass Hydrometer - 4$

30G Magfloat - 10$

Coralife Digital Timer Powerstrip - 42$

150w 20k HQI w/4 T5HO All Blues - 247$ (shipped)

Black Bulkhead - 8$

Drilled Hole - 10$

Fluval E Series Heater 100w - 53$

Salt - 45$

12# LR - 47$

Aragonite Oolite Sand 30# - 20$

Aragonite Oolite Sand 15# - 18$ (retarded, I know)

---

Total Initial Purchase: 830$ (380$ over budget)

Additional Purchases:

3 Unknown Snails & 1 BL Hermit - 15$

Reefcleaners.org CUC - 35$ (shipped)

2 Emerald Crabs - 19$

Asst Plumbing Parts, including 10G Tote - 30$

Kent Tech-M & Mag Test - 28$ (shipped)

Turkey Baster - 5$

---

Total Combined: 132$ (512$ over budget)

Stuff I Had/Free/Gifts:

1 Occ. Clown

1Peppermint Shrimp

Unknown amount of dead "seeder" rock

Kent 12" Algae Scraper

NO2, NO3, AM, & PH Test kits from my FW planted tank

Instant Ocean Marine Blend Gel Food

Hikari Spirulina Algae Discs

Specimen Container

Needless to say......I'm grounded after this Bryopsis gets taken care of :<

ON TO THE VIDEO!!

Cool vid!

Thanks! I have never shot a vid on my camera EVER, so I figured I'd try it out. It shows my clown better I think since hes so hard to photograph. I dunno if you can see the rolling green-brown fields of Bryopsis, but its going bye bye soon *eye twitches*

I couldn't really make out any big algae problem, your sand looks extremely clean. Maybe some on the one rock on the right? Your tank is going to go darwin on your CUC as clean as that sand looks lol.

ROFL! It IS clean! My magfloat was COVERED in brown slime and overnight it was an amazing better-than-new white. The back wall is still pretty thick with brown slime but they are slowly gettin through it. I even got to wondering if I should drop a spirulina disk in there 1 or 2 times a week or so and let them have at it, but I wasnt sure. I put a TINY piece in today and the Nass. Snails loved it, but the others were kinda like "meh". They made my brown "dead" rocks white again. They have that "brand-new" seeder rock look...you can tell which ones are live and which ones are still dead now ROFL!

Its really hard to get a pic or video, but on my "shelf" it is literally covered in Bryopsis a good 3/4th-1" long. It looks like a swaying meadow. The snails eat everything AROUND it, but wont touch the stuff. Im just hoping when the time comes to nuke, that it wont take as much as some other peoples tanks did.

Archived