Pod Your Reef

Kitty's 34G Oceanic Cube

Kittysnax

I did a water change again today. Im trying to get the phosphates down. I also cut back on feeding. My chaeto is now THRIVING under the 15w incandescent that flips on at night. The mushroom is still MIA, but it seems another has popped up where that one left off. I dont know if they can grow that fast, but this one is about the size of a pencil eraser and a little bit pinky/purply bleh color. The starfish made 2 appearances today. All I could see was the top of his center in the sand before he burrowed back under. Everything seems to have tolerated the change well.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did a water change again today. Im trying to get the phosphates down. I also cut back on feeding. My chaeto is now THRIVING under the 15w incandescent that flips on at night. The mushroom is still MIA, but it seems another has popped up where that one left off. I dont know if they can grow that fast, but this one is about the size of a pencil eraser and a little bit pinky/purply bleh color. The starfish made 2 appearances today. All I could see was the top of his center in the sand before he burrowed back under. Everything seems to have tolerated the change well.

Cool!

Just finished a water change myself! I got to move the skimmer to a different section of my sump. That was rad...as my drain line comes down in the middle of the stand, so a normal move was a nightmare.....

Point is....I have been doing this for 10+ years and junk STILL doesn't work out the way you plan! I think you are doing great. Keep it up!

Cool!

Just finished a water change myself! I got to move the skimmer to a different section of my sump. That was rad...as my drain line comes down in the middle of the stand, so a normal move was a nightmare.....

Point is....I have been doing this for 10+ years and junk STILL doesn't work out the way you plan! I think you are doing great. Keep it up!

Thanks alot konolua! ^_^ I still have nightmares of my dads 500G tank growing up. The 180 wasnt as bad, but still.....when he got sick and flatworms invaded...we had to throw in the towel ROFL! Having to use a magfloat jsut to see THROUGH the flatworms on the glass.....yea....bad times... :P

In other news, I took a few night pics (with flash) The fish didnt seem to impressed by being blinded though ;<

Busted!

DSC01649.jpg

I've never seen these guys (nerite snails) move from their corner...until I put in the "night light"

DSC01650.jpg

Sleepy Flowers

DSC01651.jpg

Rics true colors and sleepy GSP frag:

DSC01652.jpg

Hermits new ride (pink shell)

DSC01654.jpg

Disturbed Clowns:

DSC01653.jpg

FTS:

DSC01655.jpg

AC70 fuge w/greener Chaeto:

DSC01656.jpg

The tank looks better since I siphoned up the Green Cyano that was on the floor. At least that was what it looked like.

Very nice. Night shots are cool because we normally don't see stuff like this during the day. Everything changes. It's rad.

You know a super cool trick? Get an LED flashlight (like the new itty-bitty Maglights), and shoot with no flash! Turns out AWESOME! Here was some I took. I LOVE the night shots...always my favorite.

Try it tonight. Even a normal flashlight looks good (though the LEDs have a K rating similar to our tank lights...)

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

Very nice. Night shots are cool because we normally don't see stuff like this during the day. Everything changes. It's rad.

You know a super cool trick? Get an LED flashlight (like the new itty-bitty Maglights), and shoot with no flash! Turns out AWESOME! Here was some I took. I LOVE the night shots...always my favorite.

Try it tonight. Even a normal flashlight looks good (though the LEDs have a K rating similar to our tank lights...)

IMG_8156.jpg

IMG_8147.jpg

omg is that with a normal point and shoot camera?!?! :o

omg is that with a normal point and shoot camera?!?! :o

Well, a normal Canon SLR Rebel camera......just the base model ($500).

The camera is focused on the illuminated object so the shutter speed is fast and the image crystal clear!

Well, a normal Canon SLR Rebel camera......just the base model ($500).

The camera is focused on the illuminated object so the shutter speed is fast and the image crystal clear!

ROFL I officially hate you! :P I am stuck with a Sony Cybershot 5.0 :<

muahaha ! :D SLR! you should get one. i love mines and a macro lens is a must!

I wish! ;3

Well I decided I could use some more flow in the front...but the only way to do that would be to take away from the back...or is it? I salvaged a old ugly 900GPH powerhead from the old saltwater days, modded a extra AC70 intake and shoved it onto the powerheads intake since it didnt have one. Viola! The ugly one can go in the back, and the KNano can come back up front! The back powerhead will turn on at night since thats the only outlet left on the strip but thats okay.

Im not entirely sure if the flowerpot likes being blown around, but from what Ive been reading they can be found in shallow, turbulent waters so I'll keep an eye on it as usual. My clowns are starting to shudder at one another. The black one does it more than the orange one so I have a feeling he'll turn out to be the boy. The Yuma is expanding more and more. I wish It would reproduce! Ive only had it a week but I want MORE! lol! The little shroom that the big one left behind seems quite happy as well.

Anywho, pics...

Hide your ugly equipment

DSC01660.jpg

turbulent flowerpot:

DSC01662.jpg

WAY overexposed FTS. I WISH my sand was that clean!:

DSC01659.jpg

Look great! Ive always told myself if I got clowns I would get onxy, which I am assuming yours is, but either way I love black clowns! As for hiding equipment..I acually kind of like to see equipment. I don't know why but I hate tanks where all you see is the returns and a vortech...too simplistic.

OClownsandNanos

Lookin' good, Kitty! Like your placement of your red macro a lot and your corals are showcased well. You planning anything special for your cupped rock? I think it's begging for a nice sized coral or corals . . .

Look great! Ive always told myself if I got clowns I would get onxy, which I am assuming yours is, but either way I love black clowns! As for hiding equipment..I acually kind of like to see equipment. I don't know why but I hate tanks where all you see is the returns and a vortech...too simplistic.

Nah hes just a plain ol' Black and white Occ. Clown. I want a pair of onyx's (they look basically like the reg Orange Occ. but with VERY thick black bars around the white) but I dont think I could get rid of these two :P They seemed to be buddies from the start Id hate to break em up or get rid of em. I usually like seeing some equipment, but with as small as this tank is, it just seems cluttered and smaller :<

Lookin' good, Kitty! Like your placement of your red macro a lot and your corals are showcased well. You planning anything special for your cupped rock? I think it's begging for a nice sized coral or corals . . .

I reallllly dont know what to put in it! I kinda thought of letting the GSP take it over then I was like nah...so I put it on the front rock so it will hopefully grow over it. I thought of maybe hammer or somthing or zoas but I just really have no idea. I have so many thoughts but I dont know what would look the best. It seems kinda like a detritus trap. I kinda thought of filling it with sand, but ehhh I dunno about that either. grrrr LOL

ok so I guess my clowns had a lovers quarrel because the black clown is now hosting the bowl and the orange one is still in its corner by the magfloat LOL

got a weird algae (prolly blue/green cyano) snotty lookin stuff...NOT dinos I know that for sure. Uhhhhhh the clowns are still upset with each other I think. The black one LOVES to lay down and "rest" in the bowl and the orange one still hangs by the flower/magfloat. They both come out to talk and hang, but eventually go back to their own seperate homes....Im confused LOL.

My GSP seems to be putting out baby polyps its hard to photograph but the mat is growing and baby pinhead sized flowers are poppin out. The yuma is getting huge too.....I kinda wanna frag it but im afraid to since 1-its sooooo pretty and 2-Id hate to loose it or both the frags.

The DumDums:

DSC01670.jpg

Growin' GSP:

DSC01671.jpg

Yuma (hes actually bigger than this...think bottom of a coffee mug...)

DSC01669.jpg

Snotty cyano?

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01664.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

DSC01667.jpg

ps- the bubbles on the algae is from my skimmer.......and ac70..../facepalm

Well the black one all of a sudden started to play in the flowerpot today while i was blowing his bowl out via turkey baster.....he stuck there all day until lights out...now hes back in his bowl asleep.....W....T....F? I also JUST realized how bad my southern accent is......I always thought when I was in the army people were blowing it out of proportion......./facepalm

th_MOV01672.jpg

Well, he ain't a clam but looks as happy as one!

LOL now all I have to do is see if he'll play in it today since he went back to his bowl to sleep once the Flowers closed up at lights out. ROFL

LOL i guess hes trying out new things :P

As soon as the flowers opened up enough....he went straight back into them today! He will grab onto a flower with his mouth and just hang on, blowing in the current.....hes a fruit. Now if only the orange one would show some interest

Just be glad your clowns are either hosting the bowl, magfloat or the flower pot. Mine change from hosting the elegance coral to hosting algae, with the later being their primary spot right now. :(

Just be glad your clowns are either hosting the bowl, magfloat or the flower pot. Mine change from hosting the elegance coral to hosting algae, with the later being their primary spot right now. :(

D:

Well it seemed to take him forever to find it. The Orange one wont go near anything but the corner lately :< LOL

Nice to see your clowns are showing some interest in your corals.

BTW, the clown is being hosted, not hosting. The flowerpot coral is hosting the clown. Semantics, but the distinction has to be made :)

I just crack it up to clowns being crazy. I don't think there is any such thing called normal when it comes to them any more. LOL. I like the pair you have though. They are very nice.

I just crack it up to clowns being crazy. I don't think there is any such thing called normal when it comes to them any more. LOL. I like the pair you have though. They are very nice.

ROFL thanks guys! SoCal u made me :lol:

Now I just wish I could have 2 pairs....:<

In a long enough tank you could get away with it. I have 4 clowns in my tank right now. One adult pair and two young juveniles I had from babies and sometimes there is aggression but most of the time it'a all ok in there. The tank is 36 inches long, so on a 48 inch or longer tank, there is a better chance of less aggression.

Archived