Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

FS:. Custom mesh aquarium lids

n00bferlife

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry everyone, im retired...lol. work is havoc right now. maybe when things slow down a bit ill start back up. if you really, REALLY want one, maybe we can work something out.

If you come out of retirement ill buy one, im unable to make one for physical reasons and unable because im just not creative as well, lol.

your really charging $60 for a piece of window screen? C'mon man...there is a DIY on how to do this in the DIY section.

Changing the oil in your car is easy also, yet people spend good money on it everyday.

Same with cooking food, cutting hair and bathing your dog.

I have made screens for doors and windows, it's not hard, but it ain't easy either.

Especially if one is not handy with and doesn't have all the right tools.

All the supplies, with the handle and hinges probably runs him about $20/$25 bucks

so with shipping, $60 is not so bad.

bump, nice work man. These look really good. Question, why not rivet the hinges and such? Just an idea for ya.

...that or just shorter bolts... B)

It kills me that somene can say "Easy work, anyone can DIY". Thats a bunch of crap, It takes me 20 minutes to get my shoes on, thirty minutes to get dressed so speak for yourself. Since the accident that took my ability to walk and the use of my left arm about a year ago, things like this are no longer easy to do. So I appreciate other reef enthusiast passing on info or selling products that makes the hobby easier and more enjoyable. If you have no need or think its to expensive dont buy it! This would have been great for my tank and made things easier for me than getting the hood off my biocube 29 when i'm doing maintenance. So as soon as he comes out of retitement i'm buying one. Lol.

brianep1968, pm the OP. I'm sure he'll make one for you after you explain your situation.

Also, I agree with most of what you said. It's nice when people post how much the netting, and other supplies cost so the rest of us can decide if we want to pay for him to do it or DIY, but there is no need to hate or bash.

who cares what he charges. he is a business man. i personally think it looks awesome and at a good price. nothing is cheap in this hobby. everyone and their brother has a nano tank bc they are cheap and then when they realize not everything is that cheap they throw a fit.

most people have busy lives and do not have the time to spend on building something like this. hence the reason why they are willing to spend 60 on it. many people would consider the half of days work and time to build one worth more than that.

who cares what he charges.

I do. You really don't care what someone charges you?? If that's the case, what do you need done so I can charge you something to do it.

Again, people hating/flaming/etc is uncalled for, but the rough cost of supplies is public knowledge. I could go look it all up, but it's nice when someone has done this already and posted it in the thread. There is nothing wrong with this.

Knowing someone's rough cost gives you an idea of how much they are charging for the labor. I then weight that cost against my time and skills. I then make my decision on whether it's worth it to make it myself (if I can) or pay someone to do it.

I just looked up supply cost on BRS and you're look at about 40+ depending on size of tank, for me it would have been 50ish to make two for my tank. That's just materials and the spline tool no bending and no handle, and not the cost of your time. I'm sure he gets/got the materials in larger supply and at wholesale, but cost to DIY from BRS just about equals the cost to buy a custom screen.

I do. You really don't care what someone charges you?? If that's the case, what do you need done so I can charge you something to do it.

Again, people hating/flaming/etc is uncalled for, but the rough cost of supplies is public knowledge. I could go look it all up, but it's nice when someone has done this already and posted it in the thread. There is nothing wrong with this.

Knowing someone's rough cost gives you an idea of how much they are charging for the labor. I then weight that cost against my time and skills. I then make my decision on whether it's worth it to make it myself (if I can) or pay someone to do it.

I said who cares what he charges. Not I'll pay any price for something. As a business man he can set whatever price he desires. If it's too high demand won't support it. He has every right to pick a price thus we are not the ones to complain about it. As a customer we decide whether or not to buy. If you don't like the price then move on.

Hmmm... was interested in getting one possibly for my g/f's BC29. If he doesn't come out of retirement, would any one else be interested in providing this service for the rest of us? There seems to be a lot of demand...

The price of the tops have gone up. On average it costs about $40-50, to assemble the units. That's not including shipping. The last top I sold was for a bc14. Parts was about 40, shipping was $25, and her total bill was $85. That's a $20 dollar profit.

Now I am a business man, but I will share some insight with you, takes about 3 hours from

Start to finish. Now, I own my own business and some days I make up to $120 per hour. So you can see how this is a loss for me, even if I make $20 off of

Them. I just like to build things.

We are entering tax seAson now, so I'll be backed up all this weekend. Buy if you want one. List your tank, I'll pm you a price, if we agree, you'll jVe to send a template. Cause I only have a bc 14.

Hey,

Have you built one for a CADlights 12? It should be very similar to a Nanocube 12 if not exact? If you need a cardboard cutout? How do you recommend going about that? Sharp razor or scissors? I don't want to scrape my glass but I would want it to be exact.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

im pm ing you guys back as fast as possible....

here is a pic of the first lid i ever built...still in use today...

photo3-4.jpg

ahh what the heck...fts...

photo1-1.jpg

uh ummm...

nevermind the tang... it temporary... im babysitting for a buddy...lol

a 29g biocube lid is going for 120 shipped. it was already discussed on this thread what my costs are in building these lids. other tanks have different pricing.

Archived