Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

13$ DIY BIOCUBE Media Rack

AJ_Tsin

Hey, thanks for the tutorial! after reading all the feedback here's my take on it.

DSCF0932.JPG

DSCF0933.JPG

DSCF0934.JPG

I fixed the forcing the flow through the media issue by zip tying a piece of old stiff cutting sheet (think cutting board but super thin). This way I can flex the board past the lips in the back chamber and it'll hug the walls blocking off the flow and forcing it to go down. :D Also a leg sticking out to hold my cheato up.

Edited by sfork
I fixed the forcing the flow through the media issue by zip tying a piece of old stiff cutting sheet (think cutting board but super thin). This way I can flex the board past the lips in the back chamber and it'll hug the walls blocking off the flow and forcing it to go down. :D Also a leg sticking out to hold my cheato up.

Because ALL sides are not enclosed, wouldn't the water just go around it? Like between the gap between the cutting sheet and sides of the chamber?

Anyway, I guess it would help.?

Edited by nor_cal_nano
  • 2 months later...
kevincaughey

Are you still using this DIY rack?

I'm going to make me a rack tomorrow. I have a few ideas I'm going to take pics and if it works like I hope it does I'll be posting it.

And for the other people hating on this guy.

Does it really matter if it cost $13 or $2 How made a DIY project. Some people like to make things for the DIY experience. Yea StevieT makes a great rack. I wouldn't mind having one. But that isn't a DIY.

>>I agree with Stevie.. if a $10 media rack made out of egg crate worked, he would sell it.

LMAO What is this?? are you saying that Stevie is the only one who can make this work?

Does Stevie sell the best and cheapest of everything?? I've seen people make protien skimmers out of 2 liter bottles. etc it is possible to build a rack that would work just as well as Stevies for under $13

I hope this thread doesn't keep people from posting DIY ideas because some people think Stevies product is superior to everyting else.

Stevie I'm not talking bad about you. I like the Rack you maKe. I wouldn't mind having one. I would love to have one, But can't due to no $. School takes all my $. But I also want to DO IT MYSELF.

Please dont think i am flaming you. I'm not, if I had the $ I would have one of yours.

But people need to know that there are other ways to do it and I'm sure people can do it cheaper.

Wish me luck with mine because I dont have the $ to buy one from Stevie.

Are you still using this DIY rack?

I'm going to make me a rack tomorrow. I have a few ideas I'm going to take pics and if it works like I hope it does I'll be posting it.

Wish me luck with mine because I dont have the $ to buy one from Stevie.

I actually recently upgraded my system to the one here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225402

So no I am no longer using the media rack. However it worked great while I had it.

Please post your version here when you're done. It's awesome to see creativity/innovation arise in this hobby.

As for the rest of your post, not sure you will get through to those against this post. I am an entrepreneur myself and I know what it's like when people make a sub par product while calling it the best. But sometimes people just want to do it themselves.

Now if I was trying to sell blueprints or prototypes of the rack for 12 dollars. Then I could see where a problem might arise.

Until then people should continue to innovate and experiment. As members of this hobby we control the market and it's our innovation that will cause progress. After all it's not about saving money or making money it's about building or buying products that make our livestock excell.

• 4 years later...

What a great thread....AFTER I BOUGHT THE inTank basket lol.....great stuff here, thank you guys for sharing your ideas, it's what makes this community great!

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...