inTank Media Baskets

[BC29] 1st attempt @ saltwater...

blister

pbgrep - i never noticed any damage to shrimp, i thought that too but i cannot even find the crab, which is not terrible i suppose. He likes to hide.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I changed location of koralia 2 because I believed I had cyano due to lack of flow in backside, so we shall see if that helps. Did a water change today, a day early because of my salinity. I mixed up a strong batch of 1.030 and now salinity is reading 1.024 so I am getting there... if I do normal mixing from now on I should be ok I would think. Moved water from main tank to QT. Every day it's fun to see if you can find the crab, no such luck today... yet.

Went to LFS today, picked up:

2 x Mexican Turbo Snails

1 x Emerald Crab

1 x Skunk Shrimp

Let's hope this shrimp lasts a little longer...

Here is a pic of my new skunk shrimp:

42.BEGGING_SHRIMP.JPG

I could swear he is begging for more food, he's been in this position for hours... I know he had a full mysis shrimp all to himself, how many of those can he eat???

Shrimp is loving life.. here he is cleaning a snail...

43.SHRIMP_CLEANING_SNAIL.JPG

Not sure what this is.. trying to ID it..

44.WHAT_IS_THIS.JPG

Not entirely sure what this is.. i imagine CUC food, none have found it though...

45.FOREST_GROWING.JPG

Shrimp can be tricky to keep alive. They are very sensitive to changes in your tank. Do you keep up with your water changes, and use RO/DI water (have you checked the TDS if using RO)? Also are you dosing anything or does your temperature swing more then a few degrees each day?

I would say that the bottom line is your tank is not mature enough yet. Wait until it is 4-5 months old before trying to add anymore shrimp.

uwwmatt - as you can see the note to myself in my signature I am due for a WC tomorrow (weekly thing). Not sure if I will be able to. I need to get to my coffee shop so I can prepare more RO/DI water (better water pressure there) but I am snowed in. Might fight it to keep my tank happy. I have not tested the TDS (put all faith in filter). I have not dosed it with anything but fresh mixed water every week. Normally my temp does not swing much at all +-2 tops. However my power went off 2 nights ago and noticed the temp dropped maybe 4-5 degrees and I noticed he molted. This is probably my culprit. I just don't know though.

I would have thought to think of the skunk cleaner as a CUC, this is not the case? Is this a good thing to go by to not add any fish?

Hey Blister, sorry to hear about your shrimp. You and I have BC29's that are almost identical-in age and set-up (except I have kept everything "stock" so far and only added some filter floss to the second chamber). I just added a Fire Shrimp yesterday, so far so good but now I wish I had maye read this thread before proceeding with that purchase?!?! We'll see I guess.

I noticed that you are doin water changes. Interestingly enough, and from the advice of my LFS dude who actually appears to know what he's doing (I hope!), I will be doing my first water change 12 weeks in. He claims that it's best to wait until then to stabilize everything in a new tank. Now, I have added one capful of "Stability" (bacterial supp) once a week since the start and have a modest cleanup crew that I have added to the tank gradually. So far, and I cross my fingers, I haven't so much as lost even a snail yet.

I have been carefully tracking water chemistry while doing this and always have checked it prior to adding anything new. Basically this is the order I added life to the tank and so far so good:

Weeks1-2: 37lbs LR (25 lbs first day, additional 12lbs over next 14 days)

Week 2: Cleanup crew of 3 hermits, 3 Trocuhus, 3 Nassarius, 1 Turbo

Week 3: CUC of 4 hermits, 1 Turbo

Week 4: Banded serpent star

Week 5: Purple Fire Goby/Azure Damsel

Week 6: 7 more hermits, Elongated Dottyback, Fire shrimp

I am not, as tempting as it is (damn this hobby is addiciting), going to add any more life to the tank until I hit the 12th week, at which point I will do a water change and continue to so for the life of the tank.

If anyone reads this and thinks I'm way off, open to suggestions as I am still a newbie at this and am relying on the combination of advice from the LFS and you guys.

Blister, not sure if this will help yo bro, but so far I haven't suffered a loss in my tank yet....?beginners luck?

maybe not enough food for your shrimp to eat?

I've been adding live phyto / rotifer / copepod and feeding with liquid Phytoplankton and other stuff since I set up my tank (4 weeks ago) in order for the pods population to build up, that would definately help your shrimp find some suitable food source

Looks like cyano. Hard to tell. A big temp swing like that is BAAAAAAAAAADD. Snail seem to handle that kinda thing but the shrimp, not so much.

Do your self a favor. Take a water sample to a LFS and have them test it for you. Have them test the salinity and pH and Nitrate. Dont worry about the rest.

What are your parameters?

Yeah that is definitely cyano

Just turkey baste it off the rocks and suck it up during a water change as it will come right off the rocks in and stay together in clumps.

Dooderino - I will recheck SG. I use a refractometer and calibrate it via calibration solution, not sure how to get more accurate reading. Nitrates have been 0 since: Jan 21.

just checked SG, 1.023 which i believe is a little low, i imagine its this low because I am a little over my time for a water change, i imagine this would solve the SG problem. Melt snow so I can go fill up on some RO/DI water... ;]

ok so either shaking the bottle like i meant it did something or something crazy happened over night, nitrates are showing 20 now. WTF... heh A WC could correct this I imagine? damn snow..

Be sure to shake the crap out of #2 every time. 20 isn't bad though. I would call that middle of the road. 40 is bad but not unlivable. Be patient. Let the tank "cook" for a few more weeks.

Archived