Pod Your Reef

[BC29] 1st attempt @ saltwater...

blister

how ya'll like my new sig w/live webcam? ;]

it's cool, but i can only see black since it's night time :(

maybe u could hook a 2nd one up and have it show the fuge on a reverse light cycle?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John I believe is sending me a goodie... brown palys, not quite sure what that is, feel free to let me know as I research it ;]

Your Rio HF6 Loud?

Travler83 - the rio 6hf is not loud i do not believe, where i have my tank is a high traffic area with noise always in the air. so maybe it is, maybe its not, either way its not overpowering for my area. my tank does seem a bit loud now and i think its because of evaporation, its needing a water change and topped off bad ;] and im excited to do it heh...

bluefunelement

-Pods just kept at room temp and open the cap now and again for airing out

-I think I'll try the webcam also - just put a GBTA in last night and dying to see how it's doing today but don't want to have to drive to work

bluefunelement - is light needed? if not I can always stick inside the stand... if you need any help with webcam let me know. I plan on eventually having a link just like the thread link in my signature if you wanted to stream my live webcam too, but thats something else, and would want a better webcam for that ;]

bluefunelement

Light is needed for the green water to keep for the week- since my new tank is at work I will just use on of our extra cams and webserver. Getting a clean angle might be more difficult.

So what fish and corals are you planning?

bluefunelement - maybe a pair of clowns, and my free coral, thats all i've really decided of now... after all of this i need to quit spending heh ;]

Haha, it looks great with the lights on! The webcam setup is really cool. Good work, when I get my reef tank set up, i'll have to try setting one up too.

Zatoichi - Thanks. Lights on is definately better but i guess thats how you know its real/live ;]

Keep in mind if anyone does attempt this the issue you will run into is bandwidth. Streaming requires alot of it. What I do is basically have my server grab the source from my local computer and then distributes the stream from my server. So say 100 people watch the stream at same time. My local connection only gets hit once, from the server. My server however gets hit with those 100 streams. Gigabit bandwidth does come in handy. My business partner and I devised a on demand camera type of service which is what I am using (only using bandwidth when someone attempts to view the camera, saves tons of bandwidth!). I have not seen this out there anywhere else. It will be interesting to see if anyone follows and what route they take.

Oh and btw, you can view the video on mobile devices as well, it autodetects what type of device you are using and points you to correct location for that device. ;]

ok, well i finally did it. I am too excited to wait till Wednesday for my snail delivery so I went to LFS and bought 1 snail and 1 tang. Don't get excited people, the LFS dude told me this is a special kind that can survive in a bc29. The only thing is he doesn't seem to be moving around alot and hasn't eaten anything. Not sure if I should worry or not. Time will tell I guess. I will keep you updated... ;]

ok, well this is the qt with new clay pot and new arrangement of pvc fittings:

30.QT.JPG

now, somehow either i misplaced inTank's little plastic pieces that are supposed to be glued inbetween chamber 1 & 2 or my daughter somehow ran off with them. The world may never know and is irrelevant. So i figured I would try a little DIY. Seems I have had a lot of items that came inside plastic. The kind that has that solid edge around the outer part of the plastic which holds the product. Well I did some tinkering and glued that just as I would have the other plastic pieces. Still leaks a little but definately moving more of the water towards the center to land in floss. BTW that coral glue gel stuff is sticky stuff... wow! Pic is here:

31.PLASTIC_REPLACEMENTS.JPG

If your curious as what plastic I am referring to it's this stuff:

32.PLATIC_USED.JPG

bluefunelement

If you really got a tang and he's not eating then take him back -

as for the plastic piece - I lost mine too and used a 1/2" OD clear tubing cut lengthwise- keeps up the fishsaver and will hold the basket in place too

Archived