inTank Media Baskets

[BC29] 1st attempt @ saltwater...

blister

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just did my first water change... we shall see how i did, i shall test parameters tonight, maybe thats enough time to see if i screwed anything up, heh. I also added a note to self about my next water change. nice... ;]

PICS!!!

Snail just hanging off a rock...

33.SNAIL_HANGING_OUT.JPG

2 little coral pieces, not sure if it was supposed to be 1 or 2, but I glued them close but seperately... (brown palythoa?)

34.FREE_CORAL.JPG

Somehow I think I got lucky with this placement, this is like in front of main center cave.. kinda like a vine.. heh ;]

35.MACRO_ALGAE.JPG

Decided to use filter saver bag, poured just some of the reef pod in there, i tied top string to fuge basket but the top of the bag is wide open and underwater so the pods still can get out... Chaeto is in there, cant see it though... ;]

36.FUGE_BASKET_WITH_CHAETO.JPG

So it's been 2 days since I added: chaeto/coral/snails... now there have been snails that have not moved, I guess it might be safe to say their dead? But would that not increase the ammonia levels because I am reading 0, which is great. So not sure if they are dead or what, not sure if I should pull out the supposed dead ones?

I think the ammonia will spike when they start to decompose. Maybe 1-2 days or so? I dunno, my fishtank is empty so what do I know about livestock :unsure: :unsure:

I thought I would compare pics of todays of coral vs the day they stuck in there. I wasn't expecting much difference at all, but instead I think it changed drastically... for the better I think:

Day 1:

34.FREE_CORAL.JPG

Day 3 (today):

37.CORAL_COMPARISON.JPG

Whatcha think?

bluefunelement

Might be a little early fir corals but palys are somewhat hardy. If they close up for a few days give them a little more flow to keep algae from growing on them. Keep your alk and nitrogen cycle in check now too

As for the snails - Ive always had snails from reefcleaners all survive so you might want to review your acclimation. If only a few in a 29 then let them decompose - I found a huge bristle worm all up in a snail shell last night /zombie snails and worms ahh

what city are you in?

bluefunelement - the corals came with my reefcleaners order.. so i put them up... do you think they are looking better though? You live close to Western MD?

that "red vine macro" is "red grape caulerpa". It is late in the season, so it doesn't have bubbles when we collect it, but in time they grow in. In about 3 months you will be happy with it, the species is Botryocladia occidentalis. It doesn't need a lot of light, but it can take it.

palys look a little sideways, but they are fine....in time they will open up. It is near impossible to kill them. When I cut that frag I dental picked it quite a bit of it, and it was a pretty fresh cut. Not ideal, but it will be fine in time.

if the snails are ceriths they are like that...line them up and check after morning, they start moving at night. if it doesn't pan out shoot me an email.

bluefunelement

I'm in Annapolis

Botryocladia is my favorite display macro - so easy to keep in check. I think emerald crabs will snap the base off and you have to reglue it- reef glue the base sideways into a shell like a small cowrie and it'll stay put.

Today's FTS:

38.FTS_01282010.JPG

I had not glued in the red grape caulerpa I just stuck its stem down in a hole in a rock, it hasn't budged since.

I live about as far west and you can in MD, in Garrett County. ;]

my skunk shrimp is being very brave today, lights are on and he's out, catch him on the live web cam he seems to dig that side of tank. Here he is:

40.SKUNK_SHRIMP.JPG

Looks like things are going good. Believe me, the polys are tough!! I had one that came on LR, didn't even know it was there, and it survived being handled, moved around, bouncing around in the box with no water on the way home from the LFS, and throughout the initial startup and cycling of my tank. In fact, it looked just like your pics the first few days and now that it has been going strong for six weeks, it has opened up and turned almost a NEON green. I have even target fed it to keep him going and hopefully it will multiply.

Just for my info, how did you acclimate the cleaner shrimp?? Considerng getting a pair myself. Have you seen any battling, issues with your Emerald? I have two small Emeralds already.

Koop - what I did with both the crab and shrimp was let the bag sit in water for 15 minutes then cut the bags and poured in bucket (they each had their own) then I dumped 2 cups (not measured) into each bucket waited 15 minutes, took 2 cups out (not measured) then put 2 more cups (not measured) back into bucket waited another 15, then took cup and scooped em out with cup and let critter leave the cup to go on top of rocks. Have not seen any action between crab and shrimp yet, they still nervous probably. Shrimp has become not so scared and appears out side of cave even with lights on and crab wedged himself inside the cave between rocks heh, hard to take a photo of him. Time will tell I guess, i havent even had both for 24 hours heh

very nice, I have yet to add any corals, Its hard for me to decide what to get and not sure where to buy them either. My lfs sells nice ones for 40 bucks which can be a rip off or a steal depending on what they have, Im still a rookie and not great at identifying corals yet so Im apprehensive about buying one and finding it cheaper somewhere else, but thats my next project. Looking good blister, Ill try to keep up with you lol

very nice, I have yet to add any corals, Its hard for me to decide what to get and not sure where to buy them either. My lfs sells nice ones for 40 bucks which can be a rip off or a steal depending on what they have, Im still a rookie and not great at identifying corals yet so Im apprehensive about buying one and finding it cheaper somewhere else, but thats my next project. Looking good blister, Ill try to keep up with you lol

Amen man... I'm too nervous to buy from my LFS because it seems corals are a lot of work, and I don't want to invest too much time or money into a coral that just doesn't do it for me. If you find a good noob thread, PM me it :P

And yeah, Blister I am damn jealous of your tank. Once my Byropsis is nuked beyond recognition, I'll be catching up!

SaltineSage - don't be jealous I woke up this morning to find a snail sucking on my dead skunk shrimp, RIP skunk shrimp ;[

Just did params:

pH: 8.4

nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0

ammonia: 0

Just calibrated my refractometer with calibration stuff, my salinity read 1.021 I wonder if this could have been the problem...

;[

That is low, but im not sure low enough to kill your shrimp, theyre pretty hardy little guys.. you said you got a crab too right? maybe they had beef and decided to duke it out??

Archived