Innovative Marine Aquariums

[BC29] 1st attempt @ saltwater...

blister

After days of being in the dark, I would like to introduce my new pretty tank...

FTS

68.CLEAN_TANK1.JPG

ROCKS

69.CLEAN_TANK2.JPG

MY NEW FRAG RACK

70.FRAG_RACK.JPG

ANOTHER FTS

71.CLEAN_TANK3.JPG

Thanks, my lights are back on, I wonder if it will stay clean looking or not?

On other exciting news... webcam is back up, DSL just got fixed, yay!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK so I shut my lights off again because I notice on my substrate the nastiness is returning I think. My current substrate is here

My crazy thought is this... since I have high nitrates, possibly my substrate are the cause... since it's crushed coral. Now... should I somehow remove my current substrate and replace with finer substrate? And best way to go about it? Or some other option?

since I have high nitrates, possibly my substrate are the cause...

Your sig says you still have those bioballs in. Per response 2 or three from January, removing those would be a good thing.

Hey blister, did u ever get that skimmer dialed in and how do u like it?

I know nothing about skimmers but I get green water and I have seen physical matter in there, which I assume is a good thing and I definitely see lotsa foam.

Your sig says you still have those bioballs in. Per response 2 or three from January, removing those would be a good thing.

it says -bioballs meaning removed or substracted, I tried to use '-' and '+' instead of words to save text space. I did this so you can see what modifications was done to my tank as well so when I have to ask questions it shows what all I have done ;]

well, today I removed my rocks, critters, water and substrate from my tank and put it all back in but with new substrate:

72.NEW_SUBSTRATE.JPG

73.NEW_SUBSTRATE_CRITTERS.JPG

Mmmmm... it's like a snow globe... It matches all of the snow outside...

SaltineSage

Nice, I like the look of the white sand. Gonna have to wear sunglasses when you look at your tank with those LEDs that're coming.

Also, is your water clearer, or did you adjust the webcam? I can see through your tank now. I see art or pictures.

Nice, I like the look of the white sand. Gonna have to wear sunglasses when you look at your tank with those LEDs that're coming.

Also, is your water clearer, or did you adjust the webcam? I can see through your tank now. I see art or pictures.

I am so ready for my LEDs and my future mr. coral packs... mmmmm.... water is definitely clearing up nicely. No webcam adjustment was made. My webcam was on while I did this whole project... hopefully no one seen... ;] We have art/pictures in our living room which is the room the tank is in.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

My daughter's teacher has a saltwater tank that is 15 years old. She was kind enough to give me a piece of her live rock which has mushrooms and star polyps on. She also gave me some substrate from her tank to seed my sand. Pictures are below.

75.NEW_CORAL1.JPG

76.NEW_CORAL2.JPG

77.NEW_CORAL3.JPG

78.NEW_CORAL_BLUE4.JPG

79.NEW_CORAL5.JPG

• 11 months later...

Archived