ReefCleaners.org

[BC29] 1st attempt @ saltwater...

blister

Hello fellow members... ever since I got my BC29 for christmas I have been researching how to setup a saltwater tank with it. No modifications have been made to the tank, but have noticed alot of different setups and different mods. What I have right now is the BC29 on top of its stand just waiting for goodies to arrive via USPS/UPS/Fedex. What I have ordered so far:

-Digital Thermometer (I imagine this would be placed in 3rd chamber @ bottom ?)

-Ulti-Net

-Hydrometer

-Big bucket of Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix

-Theo Heater 150 watt (Wondering if this also can go into 3rd chamber or if I should punch out 1st chamber floor?)

-Theo Heater 25 watt (For 5 gallon bucket)

-Algae Scrapers Magical Cleaning Rod (long)

-Master Test Kit 5-in-1

-2 x 20 lb Black Beach Reef Sand

-Oceanic Bio Cube Protein Skimmer

-0PPM Portable 50GPD 2 OUTPUT Reverse Osmosis DI System

-40lbs of CaribSea South Seas Lace Rock (Dry)

-Bought cheap filter from walmart that clings on side of 5 gallon bucket

-Bought 100% Premium Polyester Fiberfill (My BC didn't come with a cartridge so I was going to put this stuff up on top of chamber 2 drain??)

What I am thinking of ordering:

-8lbs of Premium Fiji Cured Live Rock

-8lbs of Timora Sea Live Rock - Fully Cured

I am wondering what I should do with the bioballs, should i leave them in there or mod? I'm trying to be somewhat cheap. Seems like I have invested alot already. Any and all feedback is welcome... I hope/plan on putting pics up so maybe people can spot problems and/or inform me of what to do next type of thing. Thanks.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:welcome:

Return the biocube skimmer it is junk. Return the hydrometer and buy a refractometer.

Do not put the bioballs in. Set up a clean filtration setup in chamber two.

first off...

:welcome:

next...

please read this: Biocube Resource Guide

will likely answer most of the beginning setup questions.

1. put the heater in chamber 1 after you knock the false floor out.

2. get rid of the bioballz

3. i hope those 5-in-1 test are NOT test strips??? pleaz say "no"... conisder picking up some API (or similar) tube-type tests. the test strips are a waste of money

4. many regard the BioCube skimmer as a POJunk... but you don're really need a skimmer anyway... and i think it will compete with heater space in chamber 1

5. give inTank's website a visit

cheers...

StevieT - bc skimmer, not going to use. As for the refractometer, is this a good one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=9957&s=lh ? clean filtration setup? Can you be a little more specific?

LogansRunRx - ok, going to knock out floor in chamber 1, not use bioballs, the test kit i got is this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...950&catid=3 So no skimmer should be needed? I have been reading up on the resource guide recently. As for inTank, what should i order from there?

everything :lol:

Depends on how you want it set up. If you are going skimmerless than look into the media basket and fuge basket.

Is it possible to use the 3 tiered media basket to do filter floss/purichem/chaeto? Or is it designed for the chaeto to go only in the fuge basket?

And if you do only go Media Basket- is it okay to have the other half of the second chamber hang'n out?

(I'm about to set up my BC29, sorry to hijack your thread Blister ;) Similar thoughts, I hope)

Yes, you can use the media basket for whatever you like. Chemical, mechanical and or macro algae. There are lots that put macro in the basket then use a skimmer.

Do you mean the other half empty? If so yes, that's fine. It will be wasted space though.

LogansRunRx - ok, going to knock out floor in chamber 1, not use bioballs, the test kit i got is this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...950&catid=3 So no skimmer should be needed? I have been reading up on the resource guide recently. As for inTank, what should i order from there?

good test kit.

skimmers are optional... almost always. you can accomplish everything a skimmer does with regular (ie, pretty much weekly) water changes.

in the spirit of full disclosure... just in case you haven't figured it out... StevieT IS inTank ;)

i'm running their media basket with floss, purigen, and chemipure elite

StevieT - Ok, I see the Package deal comes with media basket, fuge basket and fish saver guard. The guard, does that always stick up in the air or what? Does anything go inside either the media basket or fuge basket? I understand I can stick filter on top part of media basket, the videos show nothing else that goes inside of them... Should I get the Double Underwater Light I imagine for something that would go inside either fuge or media basket. Such as Purigen or Chemi-pure? I am totally clueless, sorry about that..

it seems that refractometer is out of stock, can you recommend another one from somewhere else in same price range?

SaltineSage - No worries ;]

StevieT - I took a chance and placed an order online, I ordered:

-BioCube 29 Package Deal

-Purigen 100ml Bag

-Chemi-Pure Elite 11.74 oz Bag

-DOUBLE Underwater Light

-Hydor Koralia 2 Pump

I added that pump so I could get free shipping ;] I imagine since I got the package deal and the light I can grow chaeto inside the fuge? and place the purigen and chemi-pure elite inside media basket? does it matter which order? I also ordered that backordered refractometer, I just might have to wait on my tank until all parts arrive. Any assistance is fabulous, thanks.

Blister, let me know how that goes... I'm considering that exact same order- but I have about 2 feet of dried Algae to chip on before I get there.

Also, I've heard some folks have had issues with the macro algae in their fuge growing into their display- maybe the fish-saver will stop that? Or think about putting your macro algae in a loose netted bag (saw that on another thread). That's sort of what's going through my head for my setup.

cheryl jordan
StevieT - Ok, I see the Package deal comes with media basket, fuge basket and fish saver guard. The guard, does that always stick up in the air or what? Does anything go inside either the media basket or fuge basket? I understand I can stick filter on top part of media basket, the videos show nothing else that goes inside of them... Should I get the Double Underwater Light I imagine for something that would go inside either fuge or media basket. Such as Purigen or Chemi-pure? I am totally clueless, sorry about that..

it seems that refractometer is out of stock, can you recommend another one from somewhere else in same price range?

SaltineSage - No worries ;]

-BioCube 29 Package Deal

-Purigen 100ml Bag

-DOUBLE Underwater Light

-Hydor Koralia 2 Pump

I added that pump so I could get free shipping ;] I imagine since I got the package deal and the light I can grow chaeto inside the fuge? and place the purigen and chemi-pure elite inside media basket? does it matter which order? I also ordered that backordered refractometer, I just might have to wait on my tank until all parts arrive. Any assistance is fabulous, thanks.

Always a Happy Happy day when UPS or Fed-x comes with stuff for the tank. :D

Don't put that in your tank.

It does not look black in your tank. It will look a muddy grey.

It has a very high iron content. Like black iron filings you had when you were a kid playing with magnets. Even the sand particles have high iron in them. They are magnetic and will stick to your magnetic algae scraper(mag float) and scratch the inside of your glass.

The small particles also kick up with only the slightest flow in the tank.

I ended up siphoning all of mine out.

farkwar - that sucks, i do not currently have on order anything magnetic, not sure if this will still affect me or not.

SaltineSage - thanks, ;]

UPDATE: removed floor in chamber 1, removed top and bottom drain in chamber 2, removed bioballs, cut piece between chamber 1 and 2 to allow more flow. All I can do now.. ;]

-BioCube 29 Package Deal

-Purigen 100ml Bag

-DOUBLE Underwater Light

-Hydor Koralia 2 Pump

inTank you for your order. That sounds like a popular combo so you have things right. Place the chemi pure elite on the bottom shelf, it is larger.

I do not show any media in my video demonstrations simply because it is the customers choice. They usually go with what I sell on the site but the ultimate decision is theirs. I love CP and purigen together.

The fish saver sticks up to block the fish but once the hood is closed you can not see it.

You will see a tracking number when your order ships, it hopefully is soon for some reason this past weekend was shop at inTank day or something, BC products were selling left and right.

Just a question for future: should i add chaeta/purigen/chemi-pure elite before or after live rock cycles? I would imagine after but just making sure. ;] And if I do add after, should I not even stick the media and fuge basket in until after? Thanks.

Also:

I have been going crazy over looking at mods for BC29, looking into light upgrades and ran across: Nanocustoms 4.36 for 29g Biocube (144w)

Is this a good option? I notice available options are:

Bulb 1 Type: 50/50 (10000K Day/Actinic Blue) | 10000K Daylight | Actinic Blue

Bulb 2 Type: 50/50 (10000K Day/Actinic Blue) | 10000K Daylight | Actinic Blue

Moonlight Option: R2 Moonlight | none

Cooling Fans: Increased Airflow | Standard Flow

AC Adapter: Variable 3-12v/1200mA AC Adapter | 12v/500mA AC Adapter

Any help is appreciated.. ;]

Add the media after your cycle. Some say it doesn't matter but IMO it will hinder what you want to happen which is an increase in ammonia. It will all depend on if your rock is cured or not.

You can add the media basket during the cycle if you like. I would put filter floss up on top to catch all the detritus. Especially in a new tank the rock and sand will have lots of floating crap to catch

I had chaeto and mangroves in mine for the cycle.

Mangroves died.

And most of the chaeto turned to mush.

I have a few strands here and there now.

I have been going crazy over looking at mods for BC29, looking into light upgrades and ran across: Nanocustoms 4.36 for 29g Biocube (144w)

Is this a good option? I notice available options are:

Any help is appreciated.. ;]

would hold off on going nutz on picking up PC lighting upgrades from nanocusoms.

see here for some pending releases for lighting options for the BCs: sneak peak

bluefunelement

I picked up a 4x36 used for $100 and it was easy to install and works great

Maybe I would have consider MH T5's but depends on price

LogansRunRx - I read whole thread, and subscribed to it, hopefully something will come available before I get too antsy about ordering... Too much waiting and not enough doing is tough for me ;]

Archived