SaltCritters.com

Nemmy's 40b x 3

nemmy

While i think the Vortech's are awesome, i really cant justify the price to buy one. I have had excellent luck with koralia, so i will stick with them for now.

I just feel lighting, and protein skimmer are more important than an over priced powerhead.

nothing wrong with koralia's. love the nano's 3.5 watts.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome tank nemmy! Those SPS are going to be insane when they grow out! Your nems look nice and healthy also.

Thanks SoCalDude!

Keep an eye out for my future upgrade, hopefully under way in a few months.

Love your signature picture btw, wish my BTA's kept their bubbles.

Maybe when i put them under MH, its really up in the air as to how they keep or lose their bubble tips.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Bubble-Magus NAC6 Skimmer for my upgrade, I have it running on my current system for now though. I also bought 2 700gph overflow kits from glass-holes.com. It was only $7.50 more to buy the kit with an extra hole saw so i figured why not. Next week I'm going to buy two new 40 breeders, and end up using my current one as the sump for both.

This weekend i should be gutting the wall on the inside of the room im going to build the tanks into. Then hopefully next weekend im going to start cutting the studs out of the wall and build the stand for two 40 breeders next to each other.

awesome!

any updates on the plan. really looking forward to seing how this turns out.

going to steal as many ideas as i can.

awesome!

any updates on the plan. really looking forward to seing how this turns out.

going to steal as many ideas as i can.

I'm going to build an 8 foot stand into the existing studs in the wall, and center the tanks on the stand so they are center in the wall. I decided to go 6 inches in between each other so i can use thicker trim so they look like picture frames/windows. As for getting the sump in and out, im going to experiment with a removable leg in the stand to see if i can pull the sump out if needed. Since the stand will be 8 foot long there should be no problem holding the weight if a leg were to be removed to move the sump.

Also im going to make the stand wider than the tanks so i have a bit of a ledge behind them to sit stuff down on if im working on the tanks. The PVC pipes for the overflow and returns will be cut through the extra width of the stand with a hole saw so they dont stick off the back. I'm a clutz and the last thing i need is to bump the overflow plumbing while im behind the tank. The rest of the room will have work benches around the other walls for other misc crap.

Dedicated electric boxes will be run into the room as well for the system running on its own circuit breaker.

there a couple threads over on rc where part of the stand framing is cut to hold the drain & return lines. the outer half of, well for lack of a better term, "clamp" is removeable and held in place by wing nuts. seemed like a good way to do things. i like your idea about doing the picture frames. have you decided to make the sump out of one big tank like a 55/75 or are you thinkin of more like 2 40s. what are you planing for the cross beams 2x6 or 2x8 ? just wondering if you actual need the removeable leg or not.

there a couple threads over on rc where part of the stand framing is cut to hold the drain & return lines. the outer half of, well for lack of a better term, "clamp" is removeable and held in place by wing nuts. seemed like a good way to do things. i like your idea about doing the picture frames. have you decided to make the sump out of one big tank like a 55/75 or are you thinkin of more like 2 40s. what are you planing for the cross beams 2x6 or 2x8 ? just wondering if you actual need the removeable leg or not.

I was going to use a 55 gal for the sump since I could get one free, but come to find out it leaks and just don't want to get involved with that. I'm just going to use one 40b as a sump. This should be plenty of room for my skimmer, return pumps, and a fuge. I plan on having siphon breaks on my returns and have them high up so if the power goes out not much water will end up in the sump. So I figure a 40b will work.

As for the framing was thinking a combination of 2x4 and 2x6 buy not 100% yet. My dads going to help with the woodwork part of it. He said he should be free next weekend to come over and get started.

My glass-holes overflow kits came in for both 40breeders. Very high quality stuff so no complaints from me. They even sent me candy!!!

It's supposed to rain here all weekend, not sure if I will get to building the new stands or not. I have no garage so I'm limited as to where I can cut wood (pretty much my only option is the driveway).

ender wiggin

The tank looks nice! Its not super busy with tons of corals, but it still looks clean and peaceful. I love 40B tanks. and this one looks great! sorry you aren't feelin the love! I struggle to keep up with all the tanks I like to follow! lol

The tank looks nice! Its not super busy with tons of corals, but it still looks clean and peaceful. I love 40B tanks. and this one looks great! sorry you aren't feelin the love! I struggle to keep up with all the tanks I like to follow! lol

Hopefully it will gain popularity in the future after i get everything done im planning on doing. Its taking awhile but im starting to stockpile all the parts i need for an upgrade. All of my SPS are on frag plugs because of the two anemones in the tank. I wanted to be able to remove them from the rocks if the anemone decided to go on a rampage. My rose split into 3, so now i have two roses in the tank and a green. I took one of the roses and put it in another tank.

The main reasons i want to have two 40 breeders hooked together is too keep the anemones by themselves in their own tank away from my SPS and other corals. Once they are alone i can go about stocking with more stuff in the one tank and just let the nems split and multiply to their hearts content (or lack of heart). I also LOVE clownfish and as it stands i cant mix species due to territorial issues. So with two smaller tanks hooked together i can have different species in each tank without the issues. And the last reason is just to increase my total water volume so calcium, alk, and mag go farther between dosing.

I could have upgraded to one big tank, but then i still have to worry about the anemones and clownfish. So i decided this would be my best option.

I do plan on getting more and more corals, I just dont have the budget most people on here seem to have, nor can i find as nice of a selection of corals locally. But i do like my tank and I'm happy with the way its going.

slow is good, take your time and there will be fewer mistakes. cant wait to see it when your done though.

Two updated shots of my rose after it split.

The third piece from the split is in a different tank still recovering (it was a tiny piece that was in pretty rough shape, doing great now though).

These were taken during "sunset" so its actinics only.

Man i wish my camera would really capture the colors of these guys, they are extremely vibrant by eye.

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

Ordered a 250 watt metal halide pendant, 250w ice cap ballast, and a phoenix 14k bulb for the upgrade.

If only it wasnt raining i would have the stand half built by now :-(

Maybe next weekend.. sucks not having a garage.

Not sure whos watching this, but oh well.

Made a mess of the house emptying out the new "fish room". It was previously just a storage room. If you had something and no place to put it, it went in there. There was work benches that were left by the previous owners and also a mess of crap they were SUPPOSED to clean out and never did. They left a bunch of crap behind...

Heres the wall the tanks are going to be cut into, not the best shot sorry. I tried to cut some of the mess out of the picture.

IMG_0638.jpg

Yes thats nemo's butt.

And heres a shot of the room the tanks are going into. This is on the other side of the wall posted above. The stand for the tanks will run the whole length of the wall.

IMG_0639.jpg

The house has a crawl space under it so i was worried about the weight of a total volume of 110+ gallons, rock, sand and what have you. But in a stroke of good luck the perimeter of the room is sitting on block wall with plenty of support. So i wont have to reinforce my floor!!

Friday is the start of the building of the stand, cutting the holes in the wall, and setting the tanks. Hopefully by next weekend getting the one of the tanks drilled painted and plumbed. Might build the sump sometime during next week. Then the tedious task of moving my 40b over to the drilled in wall one. Then drilling the previous 40b tank and plumbing it as well. I will probably let that one run on my old sump for a few days to leak test before i join the tanks.

Anyone think i should add T5 supplements with a 250w mh over a 40b?

Actinics? Extra daylight just for more coverage?

EDIT: Nevermind, ordered 2x39w t5ho retrofit with reflectors.

Also purchased bucket of salt, some plumbing supplies, a spare quietone pump.

Even though i have been having a HECK of a time with digital aquatics, i ordered a second reefkeeper lite and two float switch kit for an ATO. I already have a RKL, i just needed the second PC4. But for 10 dollars more from the pc4 to just order the RKL its worth the spare head unit and temp probe.

well was going to say that the t5 sound like a good idea. maby you could sell the second head for stupid cheap and still make a nice profit.

well was going to say that the t5 sound like a good idea. maby you could sell the second head for stupid cheap and still make a nice profit.

Might just hook both up to the tank. One can control everything for one tank, while the other controls everything for the other. If i hook a heater and temp probe up to both the tank would still stay warm if a temp probe or RKL went down. Would have to get the probes tuned at the same temp though. Not sure if this is the way i want to go, but im thinking it over.

I have 250 halide pendant over my 40 and I added a 65 watt pc with only actinic bulbs. The pendant put out alot of light but I have a really good reflecter in there also. Let us know what you think of the bulb, I was thinking of trying there 20 K.

Might just hook both up to the tank. One can control everything for one tank, while the other controls everything for the other. If i hook a heater and temp probe up to both the tank would still stay warm if a temp probe or RKL went down. Would have to get the probes tuned at the same temp though. Not sure if this is the way i want to go, but im thinking it over.

actually sounds like a good way to go. the redundance of two headunits could be very nice.

actually sounds like a good way to go. the redundance of two headunits could be very nice.

Yeah thats what i was thinking, just some extra security from temperature drops.

So I'm officially poor right now...

I went and picked up two 40 breeders, get home to find this..

IMG_0640.jpg

Can i silicone it? Can i put duct tape on it? A band-aid? JK, they are the usual questions when someone has a crack in their tank. I'm smart enough not to risk it and made the run to replace it.

Heres the outcome since people love pictures.

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Archived