Top Shelf Aquatics

New Unoffical 10 Gallon contest coming up

Damsels R Cool

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OH SNAP! i may just need to join in on the fun this time... does an AGA 10g work?

Do it. You can buy your coralife 36w back, and I'll go mh ;). 10g AGA will work.

OH SNAP! i may just need to join in on the fun this time... does an AGA 10g work?

10g AGA is fine, that's what I'm using and prolly many others.

Just can't start up the system until Nov 15th.

I'm not "worried" about people plopping in LE chalices and zoanthids as that alone isn't going to win the contest.

I do however plan to use a lot of GSP in my entry! I also want to pick up some colorful semi-rare pieces and want to make sure these are the final prices. I'd hate to put them into the contest tank and have the coral prices changed to push me over budget (sounds familiar a bit).

Yah, the price of GSP seems a bit high. Its basically a weed along the lines of xenia. I think $2 per inch might make more sense. Or $5 for a 2x2 inch square. If anyone thinks that's too low I can just mail you some from my main tank. It covers just about everything. ;)

corallineadam
Do it. You can buy your coralife 36w back, and I'll go mh ;). 10g AGA will work.

HAHA! yes!!! i do kinda miss that light sometimesit would go so perfect over my 2.5g thats just sitting here waiting for someone to set up :D

which brand MH did u end up getting for your 12" tank?

10g AGA is fine, that's what I'm using and prolly many others.

Just can't start up the system until Nov 15th.

Thats good!! i need some time to get ready (eg. save some $$$) if im really gona jump into this contest...

The suspense!! :scarry:

I KNOWWW I KNOOWWWW!!! :D :D :D

The light fixture I'm looking to use is no longer sold online at stores that I can find, it's one I bought used off a member, what should I do for cost, ask mod and show some links of used ones for sale over at reefcentral or what?

Damsels R Cool
The light fixture I'm looking to use is no longer sold online at stores that I can find, it's one I bought used off a member, what should I do for cost, ask mod and show some links of used ones for sale over at reefcentral or what?

what fixture is it

The point was that people weren't going to be buying expensive coral lol. Maybe I should make it more like 15$.

Are you or Damsel setting prices? The problem with saying "all rare zoas are $X per polyp" is that a rare zoa can be more or less. Pretty obvious statement, but I know I have bought colonies of things like Armor of Gods, Green Bay Packers, and some others that would sell individually for at least $10/polyp. Also have some that are around 40-50 a head, but are sold for much cheaper per head prices when sold as mini-colonies. My only point is not to be difficult, but to show that no matter what price scheme is arrived at, there will always be imperfections in it. Most people probably joined the competition under the "$5/polyp for rares" rule, so no reason to change it now.

I would just leave the coral prices the way they are. There isn't going to be much money for corals after the hardware Tops 200 dollars. If you raise the coral prices gonna be some bare looking tanks. IMO I would leave it.

Are you or Damsel setting prices? The problem with saying "all rare zoas are $X per polyp" is that a rare zoa can be more or less. Pretty obvious statement, but I know I have bought colonies of things like Armor of Gods, Green Bay Packers, and some others that would sell individually for at least $10/polyp. Also have some that are around 40-50 a head, but are sold for much cheaper per head prices when sold as mini-colonies. My only point is not to be difficult, but to show that no matter what price scheme is arrived at, there will always be imperfections in it. Most people probably joined the competition under the "$5/polyp for rares" rule, so no reason to change it now.

agreed completely! after hardware most will have less the 80.00 or less for coral anyway

agreed completely! after hardware most will have less the 80.00 or less for coral anyway

I've come to about $125 budgeted with the tank dry, so without livestock or LR.

Can we get a price for Blastomussa and Tubastrea ? If its per frag I'd like to add it to my list, if its per head I'm not sure they are going in or not. ;) I can buy them for $10 a frag, but that includes multiple polyps.

And about this rare zoanthid v. common zoanthid pricing....the place I buy zoa's from doesn't distinguish between named and unnamed. I couldn't tell the difference between a "Smurf Smoothie" and an "Arctic Cherry Bomb" without a name tag. If its $5 a polyp, that's what I'll deduct but I'm not sure which ones count as rare. Is there an ID site available? I guess I should also ask, is "rare" anything with a name and ID or...? I just want to make sure I'm pricing within the rules :happy:

I just added up everything I have on my equipment list and came to $160 spent before livestock, then realized I had both HOB's listed. Oops. So which is better? The smaller one seems to pack more of a punch with water flow, but the larger one is...well...larger.

Same thing happened to me I got my light for $80 :mellow: and it is discontinued and I cannot find a new one on line anywhere to compare so I am ok with $100 taken out of my budget for it. I think I should be charged what we pay new or used....(with a link or who we purchased from)

There are a lot of great used lights if ya look.

I think coral prices should stay as they are.

The problem with new lights vs used lights is every single contestant is going to claim to have purchased their light used from a friend for an unrealistic cost. Those who find what they want used will be at a disadvantage or feel the need to be dishonest.

The reality of this "budget" contest is the prices of corals are already unrealistically low. Someone could put in 3 purple hornets, 3 darth mauls, a couple LE Chalice frags, and a couple rainbow Acans at a contest budget value of $90 when in reality, the average hobbyist would pay $400+ for those corals.

The actual value of these tanks once equipment, corals, rock, and livestock are added will probably be $1000+. For instance, live rock is budgeted at $4/lb but my LFS all charge $7/lb and $9/lb for the best stuff.

The coral values of this contest are a gift. I don't think we need to allow used equipment to be valued less than new.

The problem with new lights vs used lights is every single contestant is going to claim to have purchased their light used from a friend for an unrealistic cost. Those who find what they want used will be at a disadvantage or feel the need to be dishonest.

The coral values of this contest are a gift. I don't think we need to allow used equipment to be valued less than new.

I also agree. If someone happen to have everything sitting around previously. I won't say that it's unfair, but it would go against the spirit of the contest.

Archived