Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just picked up this little beauty on diver's den!

Rockfish

Decisions...... Decisions! It's tough aint it? ;)

that clam was like a whim.....i've been looking for a real sharp looking teardrop for about a month now and everything i've found has been very bland......so i went on DD the other night at midnight and there it was.....didn't think twice about it.....bought it on the spot

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so just tested my water and even with the 5 clams in there (including a rapidly growing derasa) the test read:

PH- 8.1

ammonia- 0

nitrite- 0

nitrate - 0

phosphate- 0

calcium - 460 ppm

dkh- 9

mag - 1270

not too bad huh??

I have a Maxima and a Crocea in my 29 BC and I am having a hard time keeping Ca @400 and KH @ 8-10

They are growing nicely, the maxima has three rows of shutes and the Crocea is just showing new growth after three weeks.

I ran out of C Balance so I am using Reef Builder for KH and Advantage Calcium for ... you guessed it Ca. I am dosing the max daily allowed and can't seem to raise either. I checked my Mg and it is testing @1200 to 1350 or so.

I think I need a better salt. I am using CrystalSea Marine mix and just saw a link to another reef site that showed Ca Mg and KH for different salt mixes. CSM had fairly low readings of all.

Any thoughts?

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

you bastard Rockfish! I was gonna buy that sob and as soon as I clicked on checkout it said sold :P

congrats man. god luck with it and you gotta show us some pics!

you bastard Rockfish! I was gonna buy that sob and as soon as I clicked on checkout it said sold :P

congrats man. god luck with it and you gotta show us some pics!

sorry man.....the next time there's a ridiculously beautiful clam on DD send me a PM and tell me not to buy it and to give others a chance!!! :D

but seriously......this is my last one UNLESS i find a true black and white maxima.......you guys have your choice from now on i swear!!!

well i got my clam......and I have to say that this is the last time i will order from DD. They used to be very good at proper representation of there livestock but lately i think they're taking things for granted in order to turn a profit in these though economic times.

the first thing i noticed when i opened the bag was how small it was......i was sold a 2 and 3/4 inch specimen.....what i got was a clam that even fully extended barely reaches the 2 in mark

the second thing was the color.....now i have quite a bit of knowledge concerning clams and i know after being in the dark for more than 24 hrs they do tend to get pale and need a couple of days if not more to color up a bit....however when i post pics tonight you will be shocked at the dull tiny clam they sent me. I've already contacted them with my concerns and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm very shocked at how misrepresented this specimen is....it looks like photoshop came heavily in to play here and that is NOT what i'm used to from Liveaquaria.com

very upsetting

well i got my clam......and I have to say that this is the last time i will order from DD. They used to be very good at proper representation of there livestock but lately i think they're taking things for granted in order to turn a profit in these though economic times.

the first thing i noticed when i opened the bag was how small it was......i was sold a 2 and 3/4 inch specimen.....what i got was a clam that even fully extended barely reaches the 2 in mark

the second thing was the color.....now i have quite a bit of knowledge concerning clams and i know after being in the dark for more than 24 hrs they do tend to get pale and need a couple of days if not more to color up a bit....however when i post pics tonight you will be shocked at the dull tiny clam they sent me. I've already contacted them with my concerns and am waiting to hear back from them. I'm very shocked at how misrepresented this specimen is....it looks like photoshop came heavily in to play here and that is NOT what i'm used to from Liveaquaria.com

very upsetting

That's what I was afraid of. :( Keep us updated, I'd certainly like to know what happens. At least then I'll know whether or not to bother ordering one from them.

sucks to hear about the disappointment in your order...

i've ordered from divers den quite a few times with great experiences, but i will admit that there have been a few times where i've gotten my coral, looked at it, then looked at the picture, and thought to myself that there is no way this piece of coral will ever look like what it did in the picture. i wouldn't say they doctor their pics, but they sure do know how to make small things look big and have colors pop where they don't normally.

RF...... Sorry to hear you're disappointed with your DD clam! But I'm sure you've been in the hobby long enough that you know things may look differently under different lighting conditions. I looked at their Clam home page and they state that the photos were taken under 20K 400 watt MH bulbs. I don't know you're lighting set-up, but this could account for the difference(s)?

14k 250 watt setup.....they're looking into it and if i provide a photo with a clear representation of the size difference that i described they will refund 30% of my total cost......which i guess is ok but it still looks nothing like the picture whatsoever

i've never had any problems with DD representations of the livestock they offer

I just placed an order from DD tonight for one of the new maximas they had on there. Very pretty. Was black with blue water droplets on it. The picture has disappeared now that I bought it. :( Very frustrating...

My point is, I'll let you know how it goes. I have normally heard good things from DFS, but after reading this thread, I REALLY wish I had saved a picture.

BTW, they do have some more really nice ones on there at the moment :)

so i sent them a picture and they SENT ME THE WRONG CLAM!!!! They must have screwed up in the picking order when they boxed the orders.....they're refunding me part of the price and some deuche in North Carolina got my damn clam!!!!! :angry: :angry:

ughhhh.....so frustrated right now......anyway the one that i do have is pretty nice even though it's tiny......it's colored up a bit and does have some potential......although not as much potential as THE CLAM I ORDERED!!!!!!!

Archived