Innovative Marine Aquariums

John's Red Sea Max

JohnOTS

hey man, i also have a RSM and just switched out to the TEK 4x24.... the bulb combo i found that i liked the best was 3 ati blue+, and 1 ati aquablue.. i bought a fiji purple and tried that in many differnt combos, and a friend had some other bulbs... and the look i liked the best was the 3 blue+ and 1 aquablue... to each their own, but i think its somewhere in the 18-20k range (could be wrong on that too), but my corals have never POPPED with so much color

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

Alright! finally I got most of my pictures back up. The site that was hosting my pictures crashed and I temporarily lost them.

Here are some more new pictures. The tank has changed some since I last posted pics.

FTS

fts%2013thm.jpg

FTS up close

fts%20close%20up%2013thm.jpg

New ORA Red Planet Frag

red%20planet.jpg

red%20planet%20actinics.jpg

red%20planet%20macro.jpg

Montipora Confusa Macro

confusa%20macro.jpg

During my break from the forum I have had a fish overhaul.

I removed the coral beauty, he was getting to aggresive.

I purchase two more wrasse's, I am going with an all wrasse tank.

I currently have now:

1 Female leopard wrasse, have had this fish for 6 months now and is growing, fat and doing great.

1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

1 Mystery Wrasse

anyone think this is too much for this tank? :huh:

So sad to see it go! :angry:

But I have no choice I had to sell my large toadstool leather. It has simply just got to big, it will eventually take over my whole tank. It will be moving on to a larger 120, not mine ofcourse. The good part of this, I will have more room for SPS... :o

You will be missed...

toadstool.JPG

Love your RSM. I have the 130D as well, and has been setup for 1 year now. I actually never checked my Mg levels as I thought just doing regular water changes would do the trick? Are you still dosing anything for Mg? Also, what test kit do you use? My Ca has been right around 410, I may want to bump that up to around 420-430 range. I tried some green stylophora but it didnt fair so well. I had it just about 4-5" from the surface with my stock lights. You seem to have good success with the SPS.

Also, what brand salt are you using? I am still using the Red Sea Coral Pro.

Thanks,

I am still dosing for all three; Mg, Ca and Alk. Below is my weekly schedule

Friday – 4 gallon water change using D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro Plus salt mix

Saturday

Sunday – Dose 1 cap of A and 1.5 cap of B

Monday – Dose 3 tsp of Kent Marine Tech M

Tuesday – Dose 1 cap of A and 1.5 cap of B

Wednesday – Dose 3 tsp of Kent Marine Tech M

Thursday – Feed LPS with 2 cubes of frozen mysis and brine shrimp

I use either Elos or Salifert test kits for Ca, Mg and I only use Salifert for Alk. I test my water maybe once a week now.

Do you have a FTS of your tank with stock PC light On with one and two Powerbrites?

unfortunatly all I have is what is on my first page of this thread. They are really brite only problem is they create a big spotlight effect when they are that close to the water. The spotlight affect isnt as noticable when on with the main lights. They are a good alternative way to add actinics.

Niice! JW how much evaporation are you getting? Are you using an ATO?

Thanks bro,

I have to add about 5 gallons of RO in a week, I currently dont have an ATO. I have my chiller in the cabinet so I dont have room for an ATO right now.

Wow 5 gallons is a lot. However, you don't have the stock hood anymore either. I am using stock hood and running a chiller and I only go through 1 red sea bucket a week. I am guessing 2 - 2.5 gal a week. Using the tunze osmolator, I love this thing!

p1090809.jpg

Wow 5 gallons is a lot. However, you don't have the stock hood anymore either. I am using stock hood and running a chiller and I only go through 1 red sea bucket a week. I am guessing 2 - 2.5 gal a week. Using the tunze osmolator, I love this thing!

Can you post me some more pictures of your cabinet? What is on the back wall? Did you make your own ventilation wall? Are those shut of valves for the chiller? How long have you had your chiller in there? I am constantly worrying that it will get to hot.

Sorry for blasting you with questions.

After looking at yours, wow do I need to get my cabinet organized.

Sorry one more question ;) What pump are you using to push water through your chiller?

Toadstool question: What size was it when you got it, and how fast did it grow? How did you get it out of the tank without mutilating it? I have one now, and it's tiny, but was wondering how I would remove it if it got too big. Love the tank, btw! Beautiful SPS garden!

Toadstool question: What size was it when you got it, and how fast did it grow? How did you get it out of the tank without mutilating it? I have one now, and it's tiny, but was wondering how I would remove it if it got too big. Love the tank, btw! Beautiful SPS garden!

Thanks!

The toadstool was only about 3 inches across when I got it and now after about 11 months it is probably over 12 inches across, these suckers grow fast. It had attached itself to one of my main pieces of rock. 3 months ago I re-scaped all my rock work to get more room up top for SPS, I then took the rock that it was attached to in to the garage and took a chisel and hammer and broke the rock where it was attached. Now it is just attached to a small golf ball sized rock that can be moved where ever I want.

When these leathers are big they hold a lot of water, I bet if I were to just take mine out without giving it time to deflate it would take a half gallon of water with it.

wow! I never thought about how much water they would hold. Ok, Well, I guess I better plan. My frag is still on a ceramic disc. Hopefully it can stay on there for a while. Thanks for the info.

wow! I never thought about how much water they would hold. Ok, Well, I guess I better plan. My frag is still on a ceramic disc. Hopefully it can stay on there for a while. Thanks for the info.

Mine was also on a ceramic disc, it basically attached itself to the rock next to where the disc was sitting.

Can you post me some more pictures of your cabinet? What is on the back wall? Did you make your own ventilation wall? Are those shut of valves for the chiller? How long have you had your chiller in there? I am constantly worrying that it will get to hot.

Sorry for blasting you with questions.

After looking at yours, wow do I need to get my cabinet organized.

Sorry one more question ;) What pump are you using to push water through your chiller?

I bought a 4" stealth computer fan and mounted it to the back wall with some plexi-glass to just help ventilate. It does get fairly warm under there when the chiller runs, but I have never had a problem. The chiller only runs for 30-40 minutes at a time. I couldnt see spending the money for the Red Sea fan kit. Yes, those are 1/2" CPVC shut-off valves for my chiller lines. I like things nice and neat, so I hard piped my chiller lines up to the tank. They come in handy when/if I have to disconnect the chiller. I have had my chiller for 11 months now.

I bought a 4" stealth computer fan and mounted it to the back wall with some plexi-glass to just help ventilate. It does get fairly warm under there when the chiller runs, but I have never had a problem. The chiller only runs for 30-40 minutes at a time. I couldnt see spending the money for the Red Sea fan kit. Yes, those are 1/2" CPVC shut-off valves for my chiller lines. I like things nice and neat, so I hard piped my chiller lines up to the tank. They come in handy when/if I have to disconnect the chiller. I have had my chiller for 11 months now.

What pump are you using to push water through your chiller? The pump I am using barely fits in my tank.

What pump are you using to push water through your chiller? The pump I am using barely fits in my tank.

Oh, sorry. Its the eheim compact 1000. I am still using the stock skimmer, so it fits between the skimmer and the chamber of death.

New photo dump, in celebration of the tank's one year anniversary.

FTS Shots

fts%2013thm.JPG

fts%20top%2013thm.JPG

fts%20top%20close%2013thm.JPG

fts%20side%2013thm.JPG

My SPS garden

sps%20garden%2013thm.JPG

Some Zoas and Palys

luner%20paly%2013thm.JPG

spartan%20pride%2013thm.JPG

watermelon%20zoa%2013thm.JPG

My Lobo Brain collection

brain%20garden%2013thm.JPG

rainbow%20brain%2013thm.JPG

Ricordia Garden

ric%20garden%2013thm.JPG

Confusa

confusa%2013thm.JPG

Finally removed the hydro flo reflector, realized I didnt need it anymore with the MP10 in there. Wow much more water exchange without it. I guess I didnt realize how much it restricted water flow from the pump.

Archived