ReefCleaners.org

John's Red Sea Max

JohnOTS

Well I think I have finally realized that it isnt necessary to test EVERY DAY!!! -_-

I used to test my Mg, Alk and CA every single day and then dose accordingly. I took all the data from 4 weeks of daily testing and did some evaluting.... wahooo, I can just dose now and not test every single night... wife is going to love this.

So this is what I have come up with for dosing to keep my alk at 7.5 - 8, my CA at 390 - 420 and my Mg at 1350.

Water change on Friday

Dosing as follows:

Sunday, Tuesday,Thursday - 1 cap A, 1.5 caps B (c-balance)

Wednesday - 3 tsp Tech - M magnesium

I will probably continue to test only on Friday before my water change. ;)

How does this sound? anyone dosing this much? is it too much?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you running the stock lighting?

I want to introduce some SPS in my tank but i don´t know if the stock lighting will be enough.

++1!

Your tank is looking great! Love the new frags.

I just wanted to add that I'm having really nice growth and color in my stock RSM with pink and green birds nest, and my monti caps (especially the green cap). The pink birds nest has more than doubled in size in about 4 months. I have a bali green slimer that is growing considerably slower, but the color is still great, the same goes for my red cap. Go for it!

Your tank is looking great! Love the new frags.

Thanks nkUnleashed

Made an unplanned trip to a LFS and the next thing you know..... :o

ORA Frogskin Acropora

ora%20frog%20acro2.jpg

ora%20frog%20acro.jpg

ora%20frog%20acro%20macro.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Palys

lunar%20eclipse.jpg

These pieces will probably be sitting on the frag rack for awhile... Need to find room. :lol:

What is that green coral on the bottom of the tank?

The left green coral is a green star polyp covered rock. The right green coral - which doesnt look so green in the photo - is a lobo brain.

I would love to buy some lunar eclipses when they are big enough to frag. Mine all died :(

If they grow nice and fast I will posting some for sale.

WOW! This is a strange food choice...

Lobo Brain eating a fire shrimp molt. I actually watched it eat half of this before the actual shrimp came and took it and finished it off... So weird

lobo%20eating%20molt.jpg

Finally got the MP10 installed and tuned! I love this thing! :lol:

I cant believe the amount of crap left on the rocks, the korelia left so much behind.

mp10%2011-08-09.jpg

mp10%20(2)%2011-08-09.jpg

Well I have officially ran into my first possible disaster scenario.... Montipora eating nudibranchs.... :angry:

I noticed yesterday that my green cap with blue polyps has a small section being consumed by nudi's! I am not exactly sure what I should do. I have read many different approaches and only some are successful. I have a lot of other montipora in this tank and I cant risk them.

What to do? what to do?

Wow do I ever regret putting purple mushrooms in my tank!!!!! :angry:

How in the world do you get these suckers of the rock? Their tissue is like firkin leather!

I wonder.... Does any thing eat mushrooms? -_-

:lol:

i feel your pain. my mushys are getting super annoying as well. <_<

what i do is just rip em off the rock and if possible, take the rock out and iodine the tissue thats left on the rock. ;)

PS.

2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

;)

pictures. pictures. pictures.

Feeding Time...

My mini Acan garden. ;) It needs to do some growing...

acan%20garden.jpg

Lunar Eclipse Palys grubing on some mysis shrimp. It took this guy almost 12 hours to get this down.

luner%20eating.jpg

Unkown chalice grubing on some mysis. This chalice has sweepers that reach almost 3 inches long... :o

chalice%20eating.jpg

Gotta find some more room on me rock... Rack is filling up... :huh:

monti%20confusa.jpg

Is there anyway to improve the lighting on the tank?

Can you be more specific? Do you want more light output on your Red Sea Max?

There are some options...

You can replace the entire hood with something like a sunpod.

You could mod the hood with a MH or LED's

I so far do not feel this is necessary, I am having good color and growth in all my coral, including SPS. I do know that with the Red Sea Max stock lighting you have to replace the stock bulbs often, I replace mine every 5 months. These bulbs loose their strength really fast.

Archived