Coral Vue Hydros

John's Red Sea Max

JohnOTS

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More photo dump...

Green Tip Birdsnest, this guy is growing quite nicely. Im not sure I like the placement but im running out of room.

birdsnest.jpg

This is a green with red polyps encrusting monty that i found in a LFS, it really isnt holding its color to well. It looked much better in the LFS, hopefully it will bounce back

greenmonti.jpg

This is one of my favorite milli's right now, it has nice teal green polyps. I added this as a small frag not on a plug, I glued it right to the rock about 3 months ago. It has grown out alot on the rock.

tealmilli.jpg

I need some advise on what to feed my SPS coral. I currently feed the LPS the norm mysis and brine, as for the SPS what should I be feeding? I have and use phyto feast very sparengly but i'm not sure if that is the right thing for the SPS.

I have researched DT phytoplankton and cyclop-eeze...

Any suggestions?

SpankythePyro

cyclops is a little too large IMO, oyster feast is smaller and easier to digest not to mention is the type of food SPS actually ingest. Never used nor heard about using Roti-feast for sps.

cyclops is a little too large IMO, oyster feast is smaller and easier to digest not to mention is the type of food SPS actually ingest. Never used nor heard about using Roti-feast for sps.

Thanks spanky,

I will research more into oyster feast. I am always cautious when adding anything to my tank, I am always affraid of adding to much "crap"...

now for my current frustrations...

I have never had any real problems with parameters until I started caring for SPS. I try real hard to keep my ca above 420, my KH around 8 and my Mg above 1300.

The real battle is the Mg, the ca and kh are pretty well accomplished with AB dosing.

I am currently dosing Mg like mad - using IONS MG - I am dosing almost 4 tsp every other day. I started at 900ppm :huh: a month ago. I got it up to 1320 about a week ago, but I feel like I have to dose constantly to keep it above 1300, is this normal?

I got a real good deal on a 64 ounce bottle of Kent Tech M solution. I guess I will have to continue to dose like mad. I will try out the Kent M before I result to Epsom Salt. I hope once I get the Mg levels up to the 1350 range, I can go into maintenance mode and just supplement a small amount weekly.

Elliot Arturo

Are you running the stock lighting?

I want to introduce some SPS in my tank but i don´t know if the stock lighting will be enough.

Are you running the stock lighting?

I want to introduce some SPS in my tank but i don´t know if the stock lighting will be enough.

I am running the stock lighting. I am having great success so far with the stock lighting. I have the following SPS which is growing nicely and showing and keeping great colors. I do keep the SPS at the very top of my tank, so they are within 4 inches from the light.

Montipora Digitata

Green tip birdsnest

Blue acropora tenuis

Acropora Millepora

Pocillopora

ORA Jeremeys Green Montipora (no one really knows the actual species)

I would suggest starting out with a digitata or a millepora. But most importantly I found that your water has to be perfect and consistant. I think water parameters in some content are more important then strong lighting.

I am glad to say my battle with low magnesium is finally over! :D

I was able to replace my bad Elos test kit from MarineDepot (just love the customer service), after testing with the new kit my Mg read at 1450. This is a little higher then I wanted but thats no problem, it will go down as I do water changes. Now all param's are solid... for now. :happy:

Now I think I am ready to find another fish to add to my stock. I currently have a coral beauty, a female leapard wrasse and a target manderin. I want to add one more fish, I just have no idea what to get.

Any suggestions???? :huh:

reefapalooza had an interesting collection of venders, lots of nice stuff to look at. Couldnt help myself ended up getting six different frags... :o Gonna run out of room in this tank faster than I thought.

New frags include:

• Red Cap
  • Purple Polyped Cap
  • Purple Millipora
  • Red Acans
  • (2) Zoas Frags

New%20Frags%2010-24-09.JPG

Acan Frag

acan%2010-24-09.JPG

Acan Frag under my actinics

acan%20actinics%2010-24-09.JPG

I really gotta get a new camera! :angry:

I will have to try harder to get better picks of the rest...

Started playing around with the settings on my point and shoot, getting a little better at taking shots with only the actinics on... :)

Acan grubbing on some mysis shrimp

acan%20act%2010-25-09.jpg

Candy Cane coral

candy%20act%2010-25-09.jpg

FTS 10-25-09

fts%20act%2010-25-09.jpg

Been trying to get some good shots of my new monti caps, but being that they are in the back of the tank the shots come in really blurry.... REALLY WANTING AN SLR!!! :o but sooo much mula...

Well I think I am going to finally pull the trigger and get a VORTECH!!! :o

Why do they have to be so damn expensive!!! I really have been tossing this idea back and forth and everyone who has one swears by its performance. I haven’t been able to find one person that regrets getting one.

The only question I have is… Should I get the MP10 or spend the extra $100 and get the MP20???

I need your help deciding!

Archived