Pod Your Reef

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

Oh geez, yeah, those daytrippers look like crap, lol.

yeah, they're getting there, though. They wouldn't open at all until a few days ago, now the colony is mostly open. I think the package may have overheated a little - all the zoas were pretty po'ed at first - these for some reason much more than the others.

your tank is lookin HOT! :D

good job man. keep up teh good workz ;)

thanks! :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love it! gl with the montis and pink zoas!

Thanks!

Heya, where did you pick up the lid if you don't mind my asking? I'm looking for one for My mini M, but not having much luck...

Made it myself, actually. I bought two 11x14 inch sheets of glass from home depot, and a glass cutter. I messed up the first one, but the second on came out perfectly. I sanded down the edges with sandpaper: 220, 360, 600(wet) or something like that. It's not sharp at all, and looks pretty decent. The handle is made of three small glass pieces siliconed together, seems pretty strong.

snails are out and about:

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

sick zoas :( Any ideas about what's wrong with them? They seem to be infected with something, or something is irritating them to the point of melting. Notice how some of them have a brown fungus-looking stuff on them.

DSC_0039-1.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

I did an iodine dip today, we'll see how they do. :unsure:

F#$@!!!!!

ok, so, I found this guy on my glass this morning. Is he a zoa eating nudi? I thought they were darker, but the daytrippers are really pale, so if he was on those, this would be an appropriate color. They look happy though, it's the darker zoas that are pissed. He's tiny, 1mm long. Can I get an ID?

DSC_0071.jpg

Aside from that, the tank is doing well. The lid was off, so I took some top downs.

DSC_0079-3.jpg

DSC_0081-2.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

December is just a few hours away, which means it's time for the 4 MONTH UPDATE!!! [edit - actually 3 month]

For all those interested, the nudibranch turned out to be a montipora eating nudi (^*%^*#!), and it's siblings happened to be eating my new purple montipora. I dipped the montipora - freshwater dip followed by ReVive coral cleaner, per instructions on the bottle. I even let the coral sit out in the air for a few minutes to slime up beforehand. For whatever reason, the coral reacted terribly to the dip. It bleached, looked grey, moldy - polyps never came out, and then it died. I moved it to my downstairs tank just in case it wasn't completely dead - I've have monti's come back from states like this, but it doesn't look too likely. As for the other monti's - I haven't spotted any other nudibranchs, or missing tissue patches, but I'll be inspecting them closely for the next few weeks.

Other than that - the tank is doing well. My new fish seems happy... I'm thinking about getting another fish - a little blenny or goby or something, but I don't want to push it bioload-wise. What do you guys think? I saw the most adorable tiny two-spot blenny at the lfs today. :wub:

On to the pictures!

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0094-2.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0099-1.jpg

DSC_0101-2.jpg

DSC_0163-1.jpg

DSC_0198-1.jpg

DSC_0167-1.jpg

DSC_0153-2.jpg

DSC_0138-1.jpg

DSC_0141-1.jpg

DSC_0137-1.jpg

DSC_0150-3.jpg

DSC_0191-1.jpg

Wow looks great Jamie! I think your problem for the SPS was the freshwater dip, I am preeety sure you aren't supposed to do that. My directions don't say to on my CoralRevive anyway lol.

As for a fish, green banded gobies are neat. If you have some cash to spend get a flaming prawn lol.

Meh, fw *shouldn't* have killed it, because they are exposed to it in the wild (rain storms at low tide) but I think it was way too much all at once - fw then ReVive back to back. Plus it was already stressed by the nudibranchs. (no new ones spotted yet, by the way)

fishwise: I want something less than $20. I hate buying expensive things an having them die. I have no reason to think that a fish would die, but I'm just iffy on that sort of thing, you never know what could go wrong (my yasha did vanish, after all). The blenny was appealing because it was only $14. Liveaquaria has green striped gobies for 16, but I've never seen one around here - I'll have to ask at my lfs. Any other ideas? Preferably something brightly colored, easy to keep, I don't care if it's "common," I just want a fish that will look nice and do well.

If by two spot blenny you mean twin spot, then no I don't think you should get him. The twin spot feeds off of pods and I doubt your system has enough pods to keep him fat. Although you do have those 20 gallon tanks in your basement you could probably harvest pods there.

BTW I love your tank. Do you feed any of your corals?

Very nice Jamie. I wonder who will win out in the race for space between the bubble coral and the zoas? Maybe they will live together in peace.

I agree with a nice pair of green banded gobies. IMO they would really go well in your tank.

I'm a big fan of the green clown gobies.

Me too, but I've heard they can be problematic with sps corals, so I don't want to risk it.

If by two spot blenny you mean twin spot, then no I don't think you should get him. The twin spot feeds off of pods and I doubt your system has enough pods to keep him fat. Although you do have those 20 gallon tanks in your basement you could probably harvest pods there.

BTW I love your tank. Do you feed any of your corals?

not a twin spot, but thanks for the heads up. I'm talking about this guy:

http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?I...amp;SID=FROOGLE

I don't feed the corals. I did recently start feeding flake food for my damsel though, so some of that probably gets powdered up my the koralia's and eaten.

Very nice Jamie. I wonder who will win out in the race for space between the bubble coral and the zoas? Maybe they will live together in peace.

I agree with a nice pair of green banded gobies. IMO they would really go well in your tank.

They seem to be doing okay together so far! What really surprised me was that the bubble coral and blastomussa behind it are fine together. They are constantly physically touching, and seem to be immune to each other's stings. I would have expected them to kill each other!

A pair of green banded gobies would be really cool - you think two gobies and one damsel would be okay together in a 5 gallon? If you don't think the bioload would be too much, I might try it.

alrighty then. I do wc's weekly, and I've only missed one in the past four months, so I think I'll be okay. I'll look around and see if I can find any - if not, maybe a pair of some other little goby.

as always I love it, but it could use a little height, maybe branching sps?

Then you will be happy to know that this weekend I picked up a couple Acro frags - a pink millepora and a yellow-green something (forgive me, I'm terrible with ID'ing individual acro species). Pics likely on or before this weekend.

A few pictures of the new corals, I haven't decided on fish yet - I think I'll wait till after christmas when I have some money :sigh:

fts

DSC_0142-2.jpg

new yellow-brown-green acro on the right (ID?)

DSC_0109-2.jpg

pink A. millepora (hoping this colors up a little)

DSC_0128.jpg

New scroll coral is on the right. It's not looking super hot, but it usually has good polyp extension (not so in the picture). These guys don't require feeding, do they? It almost looks non photosynthetic.

DSC_0113-1.jpg

fishy

DSC_0116-2.jpg

I accidentally unplugged my lights while I was unplugging the pumps for pictures. When the bulb turns on it goes blue, so here's a picture I took while it was warming up, what it might look like in an actinics-only photo, if I had actinics.

DSC_0100-1.jpg

AlwaysImproving

Very nice tank Jamie, very impressive! I am fairly new to the hobby and atm only have a AP24 but I have been thinking about starting a 5 gallon. Your thread might have just put me over fence :)

Archived