Cultivated Reef

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

Such a happy little pico!

Looks awesome Jamie!

B)

Thanks! :)

Dat's a lotta flow!

Have any issues with that? 480gph/5.4=88.89 turnover rate!

It actually can be problematic. Sometimes, if I move the pumps just a little bit the flow will start blasting my montipora too hard in a specific spot, and it'll get mad. I also have to be careful where I put my lps' so they don't get ripped up by the flow. I was having trouble with the trumpet, but I fragged it back and everything's good now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess this will serve as the first half of the 5 [edit - 4] month update! I'll have to get some more pictures tomorrow because the lights went off for the night, but I'll be back tomorrow.

It's been a busy month for the tank on account of new christmas moneys. I made some good purchases - a cool new tiger goby, and a nice acro frag. I also made what is probably a really stupid one - a clam. It's a baby crocea, about 1.5 inches long. The lfs had it for a long time before I bought it, and it looked really healthy, so I thought I'd take the risk. I've only had it for a few hours, but so far it looks pretty good. I'll keep updating on how it's doing.

Here are a few pics with the new lens I got for christmas! More tomorrow.

the acan is finally in a spot where I can photograph it

DSC_0003-1.jpg

new acro

DSC_0014-4.jpg

DSC_0063-1.jpg

the damsel

DSC_0024_2.jpg

DSC_0032-2.jpg

DSC_0039-2.jpg

DSC_0059-2.jpg

red montis

DSC_0060-2.jpg

clam nestled into the montipora (difficult place to photograph, acro is right in the way)

DSC_0064-1.jpg

DSC_0065.jpg

older acros

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

that's all for now - current fts and more pics tomorrow :)

more pictures to complete the 5 [edit - 4] month update.

the new maxima (I said crocea earlier, I was misinformed/a noob)

DSC_0046-2.jpg

left bottom

DSC_0090.jpg

right

DSC_0093.jpg

left top

DSC_0094-3.jpg

right

DSC_0095.jpg

fts

DSC_0080-1.jpg

tropical tank contrasts nicely with the fresh snow outside

DSC_0088-3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

animalmaster6

When are you going to college? Didn't you say you had to downgrade your coldwtaer tank? Are you taking this tank with you? It would be a ton of work but this tank looks sooooo awesome!

This is my senior year of high school, and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do when I leave next fall. I was planning on having my parents take care of this tank, but then I started testing and found out my calcium and alkalinity are way off (dKH = 5-6, Ca = 560 - currently dosing two mL kent alkalinity buffer daily, but I might have to up the dose if it isn't cutting it). If it was just water changes they could handle it, but I don't want them dosing. So, I might try to sell it to a fish store to keep on their front desk, or I might see if any local nano reefers want to take care of it for a few years. Or I might just break it down. We'll see. I'm going to college in so cal, so I can't really transport it back and forth, but if I end up doing an internship down there my summer junior year (which would be really cool), then I could bring it down for junior and senior year - that's a long way off though, I'm just going to see how things play out.

My other idea was for downgrading my coldwater tank to something tiny (like, 1 gal), that was acrylic and had a sealable lid. If everything in the tank was cemented down, I could just screw on the lid and put it in my suitcase to take with me wherever I go - that might be easier than trying to take this 5 gallon beast with me. :lol:

hlander - yep, but coldwater, not tropical :)

macro picture time!

This guy is browning a little, but seems pretty happy, so I'm just letting him go with it. It is about time to replace the lights though...

DSC_0061.jpg

red montis

DSC_0067-1.jpg

green monti is taking over!

DSC_0071-1.jpg

dwarf halimeda keeping the frogspawn at bay

DSC_0073-2.jpg

amazingly, these guys get along - no stinging!

DSC_0096.jpg

I have yet to get a clear, really close up picture of the samsel, but here are a few close calls

DSC_0080-2.jpg

DSC_0084-1.jpg

Softies!

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

DSC_0051-3.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Thanks for looking!

my gosh that's a great tank and the pics portray laser detail and color. I can tell by the growth its aging really well, wow on the sps color retention for sure and the plating growth. the rimless look is awesome killer tank

B

Thanks guys!

my gosh that's a great tank and the pics portray laser detail and color. I can tell by the growth its aging really well, wow on the sps color retention for sure and the plating growth. the rimless look is awesome killer tank

B

Yeah, I got a new lens for christmas, and I'm really loving taking macros now. :)

tropical tank contrasts nicely with the fresh snow outside

DSC_0088-3.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I don't know if I'm more jealous of the tank or the snow.

haha, thanks. It was nice, but unfortunately it happened over break, so it didn't cancel school. :sigh:

good and bad news

good: new baby acan :wub:

DSC_0033-1.jpg

bad news - my new fishy has ich!

he's finally coming out enough so that I can get a good look at him, and I just noticed today. Looks pretty bad. :(

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Any ideas of treatment. There's no way I could catch him fo a dip - I even doubt that a trap would work - he's really easily spooked. I've heard cleaner shrimps can help - I've been thinking about getting one for aesthetic purposes, but worried my bubble will kill it. If it could help the goby though I'd give it a shot. Opinions? other ideas?

Well, I decided that I didn't want to study for my discrete math final tomorrow, so I set out to get some good fish pictures! Here are the results (along with a few other random shots)

dwarf halimeda and froggy

DSC_0113-2.jpg

asterina

DSC_0360-3.jpg

left side

DSC_0402-1.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

fish!

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0363-2.jpg

DSC_0388-2.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0411-1.jpg

DSC_0502.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0447-2.jpg

DSC_0477-1.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

lol, thanks. I think you might have gotten a little trigger happy with the "add reply" button though. ;)

I guess whenever I'm able to convince my parents to loan me the money I'll get a cleaner shrimp. The goby has been toughing it out so far, hopefully he can make it another week or two!

Wonderful pictures Jamie!

Love the shot of the tank with the window in the backround.

Thanks for posting all of them! Enjoyed those very much. B)

:)

Thanks! Looking back on it, I probably should have cleaned up the window seat first. Airline tubing, towel, fan two books stacked on top of it - not to mention the defunct tank that I still haven't cleaned up (fortunately not pictured). :rolleyes:

btw, you need to update your simple wonders thread!

animalmaster6
lol, thanks. I think you might have gotten a little trigger happy with the "add reply" button though. ;)

I guess whenever I'm able to convince my parents to loan me the money I'll get a cleaner shrimp. The goby has been toughing it out so far, hopefully he can make it another week or two!

lol I had over 10 thought I deleted them all.

I hope you get the Cleaner!

Archived