Cultivated Reef

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

haha, nice. I also have to worry about buying a new halide bulb - this one's getting pretty old. gah! I need moneys. I'm gonna have to start selling frags or something.

in other news, more pitchers!!! I've been really busy procrastinating, as you can probably tell. I tried some top downs today, they didn't turn out great, but not terrible.

I tried to do a panoramic top down, but I realized I don't have any pano software. >.< Oh well,

left

DSC_0031.jpg

right

DSC_0032-3.jpg

the ric garden

DSC_0035-2.jpg

sps macros

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0017-2.jpg

September

DSC_0834.jpg

January

DSC_0014-5.jpg

As you can tell by this comparison, the blue tort, despite good polyp extension, has not been following the "lots of growth" trend. <_<

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, they all seem pretty happy! :happy:

The green monti is actually getting kind of annoying - it grows too fast. It's overgrowing everything else, and at the moment it seems to be trying really hard to kill my red montis. My original idea for this tank was to just let everything grow naturally, but I may have to prune the monti a little if I want anything else to survive.

animalmaster6
Yeah, they all seem pretty happy! :happy:

The green monti is actually getting kind of annoying - it grows too fast. It's overgrowing everything else, and at the moment it seems to be trying really hard to kill my red montis. My original idea for this tank was to just let everything grow naturally, but I may have to prune the monti a little if I want anything else to survive.

That's probably the best idea. I heard montis grow crazy!

You are still in the Pico Contest right?

Thanks! Looking back on it, I probably should have cleaned up the window seat first. Airline tubing, towel, fan two books stacked on top of it - not to mention the defunct tank that I still haven't cleaned up (fortunately not pictured). :rolleyes:

Ah, it's so hard to keep everything neat and tidy when were always tinkering isn't it?

:D

btw, you need to update your simple wonders thread!

Very true, and I have delayed poor Weetie long enough. I'm on it ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's over a week late, but here it is, the six month [edit- actually five] update!

Things have been going pretty well, though sad to say I have been neglecting this tank. I've been pretty much consumed with school work, and, until yesterday, I hadn't done a water change in three weeks! So yeah, the acropora's are looking less happy than usual. The one in front that used to be white with blue tips is now poop brown, but that's probably also due to my bulb that needs replacing. I'm seeing a little less polyp extension on the other acro frags too.

The green monti is happy as ever, and it's actually incredibly annoying. I keep beating it back, but it just seems to keep growing back more quickly. I don't know if it is visible in the pictures, but it's rapidly overtaking my red monti's, the blue tort, and the poop brown acro. <_<

The softies and lps are pretty happy, but there's so much competition that none of them are growing too much. I'm gonna need a bigger tank soon!

I haven't seen the goby in a few days, so I'm thinking that maybe the ich finally got the better of him. :(

blah blah blah, here are the pictures:

(green walls...)

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0012-4.jpg

getting crowded!

DSC_0015-4.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

happy acan :happy:

DSC_0016-3.jpg

damsel

DSC_0047-1.jpg

if only I could have gotten his tail in the frame!

DSC_0033-2.jpg

assorted macro's

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0074-3.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0059-4.jpg

baby clam :wub:

DSC_0016-2.jpg

thanks for looking!

Wow nice shots! The open mouth fish is awesome. And that clam is a beaut!

Thanks!

Wow, that clam is perfect for that tank size! Looking great still, even without the water change.

Thanks. Hopefully with more water changes, it will look even better.

Beautiful. I wish my corals looked so lush. :(

But they do! And these are kind of your corals, or, were at one point. :P

I likez da tank!

Thanks!

How much are you dosing each day?

2mL of kent dkh buffer daily

Awesome little tank. I love it. Clam is so damn cute

Thanks. I like him too. :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like I got a little excited in the past few updates, and got ahead of myself with the month numbering (fixed now). so here it is, the actual six month update. :)

I've been completely neglecting this tank. I did the first water change today in far two long (edit - looks like since last update), and I've been dosing kind of whenever I remember to. It all started when we had to have our pipes redone, and the tap water went bad for a few weeks (yeah, I use tap water - it's really clean here in oregon!). Then I just got really busy and stuff. But I had a little free time this weekend, so I got it all cleaned up. Not looking too shabby!

Tiger goby is confirmed gone, which is too bad, but the damsel is doing well. Coral growth is good, though the monti is completely taking over. I haven't had the time to beat it back, so it's made it's way through part of my red monti and some of the brown acro. The clam is doing well, which I'm really happy about, because I was worried it wouldn't. No new additions, just sorta letting everything grow out.

On to the pictures:

Fts in the sun

DSC_0007-3.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Monster ric is not nearly fully expanded in this picture - it can make it all the way over to those red zoas on the left. Shading out my orange ric. -_-

DSC_0042-1.jpg

DSC_0077-1.jpg

DSC_0078-2.jpg

DSC_0071-2.jpg

DSC_0073-3.jpg

DSC_0080-3.jpg

DSC_0081-3.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

froggy's growing fast (getting kinda close to that acro, too)

DSC_0125-1.jpg

DSC_0103-3.jpg

clam/blurry fish top down

DSC_0099-2.jpg

full tank top down

DSC_0120.jpg

fts

DSC_0093-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

How does this tank not have more followers :huh: not only is it stunning, but the picture quality is amazing. Every time I see an ADA cube it makes me want to ditch my picotope and start a cube. I never thought I could like sharp edges so much more than curved -_-

Wow! how did i not see this earlier? thats one awesome pico. Just reaffirms my opinion of your reefing skill. Wish my tank looked as good after 6 months. -_-

Thanks all! :) The goby's death was kind of expected, so I'm not crushed, but it's too bad. I don't think I'll be getting any more fish, but I might need a peppermint shrimp (hopefully this one will survive more than a day) and a mithrax crab, because my aiptasia and bubble algae are getting out of control!

Definitely. That's why I haven't added them yet, but manual removal of bubbles isn't working, and I've injected the aips with everything imaginable (lemon juice, dkh buffer, vinegar, etc) and they seem immune to death. So I'm considering it. The bubble coral seems to kill all inverts that I put in this tank (notice that there are no shrimp or hermits) so I don't know how long they'd last anyway. I haven't decided if I'll add anything yet, but I'm considering it.

too bad :(

the inverts you require are both really cool. I'm really concerned about my corals as well, so I'm kinda wrestling on getting a pep shrimp for my tank...

If I haven't said it yet, the tank looks incredible. maybe you could get those inverts and once they're done and start eating coral, you could place them into another tank? or return?

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. They can be difficult to catch, but I should be able to make some sort of trap.

Archived