Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

too bad :(

the inverts you require are both really cool. I'm really concerned about my corals as well, so I'm kinda wrestling on getting a pep shrimp for my tank...

If I haven't said it yet, the tank looks incredible. maybe you could get those inverts and once they're done and start eating coral, you could place them into another tank? or return?

That's what I did for my nanocube at school. We put in a peppermint shrimp to take care of the aiptasia, then I had a small yellow coral frag disappear - not sure if he was the culprit or not, but since he chowed down the aiptasia we just caught him and put him in the qt.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Month 7 update:

Well, the sad time has come. I'm going to college next year, and this tank won't be coming with me. My parents offered to take care of the tank, but I didn't want them to have to dose and do water changes, so I'm upgrading to a larger tank that will be easier for the to take care of. After I assess the situation in college, I may or may not restart this tank in a year or so. I've had a 20 high set up in my basement for quite awhile, so things will be getting transferred to that over the next month. I moved the purple and orange rics a few days ago, and they seem to be doing pretty well, so the transfer will continue. This may be the last fts you see of this tank, but hopefully I'll get to set the ADA up again sometime soon.

DSC_0196.jpg

The monti continues its advance, and I continue to be too lazy to do anything about it. In the new arrangement, it will be located far from everything else.

DSC_0191-2.jpg

The clam doesn't seem to like it's current position - it's pulling it's mantle away from the edges of the encroaching monti. In the new tank, it will have more space to itself.

DSC_0163-3.jpg

DSC_0180-3.jpg

Both the frogspawn and toadstool have be doing a lot of growing, lately.

DSC_0029-2.jpg

DSC_0031-2.jpg

The damsel is doing well, as always. I'm sure he'll be quite happy with more space to roam.

DSC_0096-1.jpg

DSC_0092-1.jpg

DSC_0104-2.jpg

DSC_0135-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I want your baby clam, sooooo bad. :o

:D

Your tank looks very good Jamie, I'm glad to see it end looking awesome :)

Thanks. Yep, it's nice to end on a high note. :)

Everything seems to be doing pretty well I think. Great pictures BTW.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

what was your opinion on bare bottom vs sand? i noticed in your pics that u switched. y did u switch? i have a 5.5 i am transfering to. also, how is the knano for flow?

Where do you find a baby clam? How do clams reproduce?

Fish store had it. It's not quite a baby, a bit over an inch across. The parents release eggs and sperm into the water. I don't know how big the larvae get before they settle, my guess is not very. Just so you know, baby clams are especially difficult, so if you're a beginner, try a big one first. Also, do lots and lots of research before you purchase, even big clams are sensitive to water quality and need high light.

what was your opinion on bare bottom vs sand? i noticed in your pics that u switched. y did u switch? i have a 5.5 i am transfering to. also, how is the knano for flow?

I only switched for aesthetic reasons. bb was nice because it was easy to clean, but you could see the detritus building up, which wasn't exactly pretty. Sand is nice for bacteria and microfauna to live in, too... I have lots of happy spaghetti worms now. I think overall sand provides a richer environment, which may or may not be what you want. the koralias are awesome, I would definitely recommend them.

Archived