Innovative Marine Aquariums

Jamie's Tropical Tank

Jamie

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, so, it having been several weeks since the yasha was last seen, I decided I needed a replacement fish. This time I decided to go with something a little less shy and a lot less expensive. Damsel!

DSC_1160-1.jpg

DSC_1137.jpg

DSC_1135.jpg

DSC_1115.jpg

kinda dark pictures, hard to get him in focus on a slower shutterspeed.

YELLOWTAIL!!! omgomgomg your gonna love that guy. i would have to say they are among the most tame damsels, right after the Blue/Green chromis.

All i have to say about your tank is... WOW. no fuge no skimmer and your keeping a beautiful mixed reef with SPS...total AWESOMENESS. keep up the good work, ill be tagging along. ;)

Way to "show up" my 5.5g with a tank thats only been set-up for less than a month :P

:P

Nice, did you pick the most pathetic and picked on damsel in the tank like i did feeling sorry for it? Looking great man!

Well, he was the most picked on, but I picked him because he was smallest! Makes my tank look bigger than it really is :)

YELLOWTAIL!!! omgomgomg your gonna love that guy. i would have to say they are among the most tame damsels, right after the Blue/Green chromis.

All i have to say about your tank is... WOW. no fuge no skimmer and your keeping a beautiful mixed reef with SPS...total AWESOMENESS. keep up the good work, ill be tagging along. ;)

Yeah, I had one a long time ago. It was always a great fish. One day I saw him pecking at an acro and netted him out and got rid of him. Turns out he was just eating red bugs, an then I had an infestation on my hands. I'm hoping that this one will eat flatworms, because i have more of them than I'd like, but I'm not expecting that he will. I can hope though! fingerscrossed

SAND! Decided it would look better with sand so I added a super thin layer.

DSC_1177.jpg

other than that, not much to update, everything is going well, and I love the damsel! He's super friendly, and doesn't destroy things, which is nice. The oregon tort is getting really pale on the underside (the illuminated parts are still nicely colored, however, and it is growing), is this okay? I'd hate for it to get rtn or something, just making sure that's not a sign.

• 2 weeks later...

agreed.

This post should serve as a 1 month update. (I'm going to try to do them monthly, we'll see how that goes).

Everything has been going great, fish is happy, corals are growing. I may be developing an aptaisia problem, however. I still have the bubble coral, so I've been hesitant to get another shrimp. I've basically been ignoring them and hoping they go away. The flatworm problem seems to have been entirely resolved by the damsel, I haven't seen any since a few days after I added it.

pics:

tort is beginning to encrust, monti's have maybe put on 1/4 inch of new growth around the edges

IMG_0594.jpg

the killer

IMG_0597.jpg

baby leather, growing

IMG_0599.jpg

fishy

IMG_0639.jpg

looking up

IMG_0589.jpg

looking down

IMG_0603.jpg

That looks super awesome! I love your bubble coral! I am gonna include one in my school's aquarium; its gonna have a lot of room to inflate, because im putting it on super isolation. i hope it works out! i would also like a small one for my home aquarium. I love them. The new england has a super nice one in one of their jellyfish tanks (my av). Thanks for sharing!

That looks super awesome! I love your bubble coral! I am gonna include one in my school's aquarium; its gonna have a lot of room to inflate, because im putting it on super isolation. i hope it works out! i would also like a small one for my home aquarium. I love them. The new england has a super nice one in one of their jellyfish tanks (my av). Thanks for sharing!

yeah, it's a really nice looking coral. I think it may just be this individual, but it seems to readily kill shrimp, so watch out for that. I know there's a type of shrimp (Vir sp.) that hosts them, so maybe I've just got a weird one, or I just haven't tried the right shrimp yet - dunno.

thanks lani and jacob!

and j - simple solution, make yours better! j/k, yours actually looks really good, and you have way more sps than I do!

oh, and I'm not bringing it to college, but my mom said she would take care of it while I was away. :happy:

Way to set a good example for beginners ;).

Your tank looks really good. Great job! But how do you keep a clean? Or is it since you just have corals you have no waste output?

I guess you could say that the tank has a fixed level of nutrients. I have a fish, but I don't feed it (it has to fend for itself :lol: , it seems to do fine), so whatever waste the fish produces is mostly eaten up again by the pods and algae. I also do weekly 1 gallon water changes and siphon out the detritus. That's it!

then get one!

not really an update, but we had a power failure two nights ago. Fortunately, we have a generator, so the tank only got down to 73 degrees before I woke up and got it running again - everything is fine.

getting some natural sunlight (this guys always has his feeder tentacles out, but I never feed him, :P )

IMG_0654.jpg

Hey Jamie this is kinda a weird question, but why do you have a generator? I mean you live in a pretty big city, just not that common hahaha

tank looks awesome, great shots of everything, it takes alot of dedication to your tank when its 5.5G, you have to watch it alot more. i could never do it, minimum tank size is at least 20G for me. nothing bigger than 50 though. i cant wait to see this tank mature, it looks so good already. i will watch this one for sure.

Archived