Innovative Marine Aquariums

schg's ADA 30c reef

schgr.cube

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply
schgr.cube
oh good you figured something out with the vine.

Yeah, I think it ended up working out well!

I need to figure out this temperature thing, the tank climbed to 89.5*F the other day and now all my SPS looks like its dead... :tears:

Ouch is getting hot over there! What's with the thermo chiller? Is it really cooling the probe or looks like a heater?

schg - Try putting a small fan over the top of the water. With small tanks like ours it should cool it down a fair amount.

-Dave

NaClCrocodile
schg - Try putting a small fan over the top of the water. With small tanks like ours it should cool it down a fair amount.

-Dave

That's what I had to do. Little clamp-on fan that turns on when the halide comes on. Florida humidity sucks the water level down really fast though so watch out.

schgr.cube
Ouch is getting hot over there! What's with the thermo chiller? Is it really cooling the probe or looks like a heater?

Yeah, up to 100* outside lately with killer humidity. It is the chiller that is the problem actually. With it being cramped in the small stand, it isn't able to dissipate the heat well enough so it can't really chill the water.

This is an awesome tank. Great job on the whole thing. Like how you put a mangrove in there too.

Thanks!

-Dave

That's what I had to do. Little clamp-on fan that turns on when the halide comes on. Florida humidity sucks the water level down really fast though so watch out.

I've done fans before, and I have a lot of evaporation problems as is. Without an ATO I don't think I could manage with the fan and have things still be stable. I think what I need to do is place the fan next to the Ice Probe so it pulls all of the heat away and keeps that cool enough to actually cool the water.

What you need Sir is a Mini Arctica or something like that. I got mine from a reefer here in NR for $275 shipped Brand new in box with JBJ installation kit. You can always have the emergency bottle drop :P freeze a few water or gatorade bottles and toss them in the sump. Works better than bare ice cause it won't change salinity

But, is not stable though

schgr.cube
What you need Sir is a Mini Arctica or something like that. I got mine from a reefer here in NR for $275 shipped Brand new in box with JBJ installation kit. You can always have the emergency bottle drop :P freeze a few water or gatorade bottles and toss them in the sump. Works better than bare ice cause it won't change salinity

But, is not stable though

LOL I was using the ice bottle trick on the night that the tank hit 89*, but remember my sump really isn't that big...I'm going to try to find a 1/15th for a decent price, but my wife will kill me if I have to spend a lot on it...

LOL I was using the ice bottle trick on the night that the tank hit 89*, but remember my sump really isn't that big...I'm going to try to find a 1/15th for a decent price, but my wife will kill me if I have to spend a lot on it...

Wouldn't your wife be more happy if you bought an A/C? It would keep her AND the tank cool at the same time, no? :lol: And for about the same price as a chiller, too.

I keep my tank in an air conditioned room to prevent overheating in the summer. It's pretty effective (even with metal halides) so long as you set your ambient temperature to about 5 degrees below the tank's temperature. (So set your room to 76F if you want your tank to be at 81F.) To save on electricity costs, you can set your thermostat a little higher but supplement with a fan over the sump/tank. This will be very efficient since A/C dehumidifies the room, making the fan even more effective than without the A/C in Florida's humid summer.

Awesome tank, by the way! B) Makes me want to upgrade to an ADA. The only thing holding me back is figuring out how to hide all those cords and equipment without the custom drilling and concealing rockscape you made for your tank.

Awesome tank, by the way! B) Makes me want to upgrade to an ADA. The only thing holding me back is figuring out how to hide all those cords and equipment without the custom drilling and concealing rockscape you made for your tank.

That's half the fun :lol:

schgr.cube
This is easily the best build I have ever seen. Good job indeed!

Thanks!!

Wouldn't your wife be more happy if you bought an A/C? It would keep her AND the tank cool at the same time, no? :lol: And for about the same price as a chiller, too. ...

Haha, well when we use the A/C the tank actually stays pretty stable, but theres a few problems with that. We don't want to leave the A/C on when we're out of the house (waste just for a fish tank), and we're out of the house for work quite a lot. Our A/C is also pretty damn expensive at this complex, I'm not sure if we're just getting screwed at this complex or not.

That's half the fun :lol:

Hah, suurreee. -_-

so is it the apartment thats causing the tank to heat up or a combo of the light and apartment? if its the latter, u can just turn on the lights when ur home

• 2 weeks later...
Justind823
Also, got some goodies from ReefCleaners!

051910-002.jpg

It's important to always properly acclimate your solo cup. That thing is gonna look killer when it colors up in your tank - can't wait! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They were urchins and some interesting snails and whatnot, but most were DOA unfortunately. John was amazing and issued me a full refund, so I really appreciate him for that.

This tank isn't doing well honestly, as I just don't have the patience to keep up with it. I need something bigger, as I only have a limited time to work on it a week (unless someone wants to get me a better job instead!) so I need something that can take a little more negligence.

I have decided to try my hand at a simpler tank while we are in our current stage in life, but once we are in a better position I will DEFINITELY be re-creating this idea. It will most likely be with a 60p though, so I can have a little more fun with it. :D

For now, this will be my last post in here. If anyone is interested in picking this tank up in the Orlando area, feel free to come buy it off me so I can start the new tank. I am glad I built this system as I did, because all of the equipment I used I can transfer to my larger tank. Thanks for all the support guys, sorry I failed this one. :angry:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=239944

How high did you have your FNI fixture above your tank? I have mine at 8" over my BC14 (8 gallons of water) and I am wondering if thats too low and maybe need to raise it up.

Archived