inTank Media Baskets

TimDanger's CADlights 39g Pro

timdanger

Thanks danger, I bought a barnacle cluster and hollowed the back of a few out so my hopes is that he will decide to use this as an enterance

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks danger, I bought a barnacle cluster and hollowed the back of a few out so my hopes is that he will decide to use this as an enterance

good luck -- be sure to get some pictures and let me know where to see them! :D

Will do on the pics... I just got done talking to a dude locally that might hook me up with a golden dwarf moray so that whole scenerio might be out the door. BTW, where do you have your mp10, on a side or the back wall?

Will do on the pics... I just got done talking to a dude locally that might hook me up with a golden dwarf moray so that whole scenerio might be out the door. BTW, where do you have your mp10, on a side or the back wall?

i love those eels! the user "rehype" had a bluespot jawfish with the golden dwarf moray -- he has some great videos in his thread. so, it's doable. however, he advised that he had to keep the eel "well fed." just something to think about.

re: mp10 placement, mine is on the back wall on the right side.

7 weeks after adding my first two SPS frags, I've been getting crazy great growth from the orange digitata (pics to follow), but almost nothing out of the green slimer.

as such, and based on the conversation going on in AJ_Tsin's 47g thread, I'm thinking about "wafering" or at least partially wafering the slimer to build more of a colony/help spur some growth. any thoughts/suggestions?

just to update on Jaws the jawfish, he is almost completely healed up. his wounds are effectively invisible at this point, and the only evidence of any injury/stress is that his fins are still working on repairing themselves. but, he definitely looks like he's doing fine.

that's one tough fish!

I say go ahead and cut the slimer into 3 pcs. Leave one standing up and lay the other two down and see what develops.

i'm going to acquire some new corals in the next couple days. when i do, i'm going to cut up the slimer.

just ordered this 4" colony from AtlantisAquarium.net:

intense_lime_in_the_sky_acropora_pultra_2.gif

intense_lime_in_the_sky_acropora_pultra_1.jpeg

they called it "Intense Lime in the Sky Acropora Pultra" (not the original "Lime in the Sky," but i'm pretty pumped about it nonetheless!).

thats one awesome acro, and good to hear that the jawfish is doing good.

you can tell that Atlantis really saturates the photos on their site (i mean, look at the red/blue/green skin tones on the people holding frags in some of those pics!), but i've read nothing but positive reviews about them, and they obviously have a lot of nice stuff.

i'm just hoping that my tank can keep it colored up anything like it is in that picture.

well, my corals arrived this morning. the ATL Ocean Blue Papillare looks very nice - good blue coloring on it, and it's already got got polyp extension sitting in my tank. it's a pretty deep blue color.

the Intense Lime in the Sky is a different story. it arrived in a bag of dirty, cloudy looking brown water, and it looked completely bleached on arrival. i tried to put it in the tank to see if it would color up at all, but i haven't had any success at this point. i called Atlantis to report it and sent a picture in, and they said they would extend the guarantee for a while to see if it could recover (it doesn't look like the tissue is sloughing off yet, though i've never had a bleached coral before, so it's hard to tell what's just a coral skeleton and what's just bleached.

i'm pretty bummed, because i was looking forward to adding this guy. :tears: but, it also bums me out because now i have to sit here with a bleached coral and try to bring it back to life, and if i can't, then it's going to slough off tissue and pollute the tank, etc. -- so, i basically am sitting here having paid a huge amount of money for a bleached coral.

would i be out of line to call Atlantis up and be like "i am not happy about having paid $$$ for a bleached coral -- i'd like a discount on my next order because of this."..?

What is the gaurantee? In my experience, corals that arrived in cloudy water were just a skeleton already. I would demand a full refund for that peice in your place.

Bummer about the Arco. Hopefully, they'll make good and send you a replacement or refund. Both pieces look great in photo.

Had a question on your Tunze 1073.020 pump - are you running at highest setting, lowest setting or somewhere in between? Is pump quiet? I'm curious, since I'm still working on the micro bubbles in my CAD 39 Pro.

Bummer about the Arco. Hopefully, they'll make good and send you a replacement or refund. Both pieces look great in photo.

Had a question on your Tunze 1073.020 pump - are you running at highest setting, lowest setting or somewhere in between? Is pump quiet? I'm curious, since I'm still working on the micro bubbles in my CAD 39 Pro.

i run my 1073.020 "wide open" (so, the highest flow setting). the pump itself is absolutely silent (not "pretty much silent" or "just about silent" as is often claimed by people running other pumps -- i mean you cannot hear it). it gives me nice, easy flow through the sump (for greater contact time with media/DSB/skimmer), which is good for me since i am getting my flow from my mp10 and tunze 6025 (i'd guess i'm looking at ~2500gph total through the tank after head loss). highly, highly recommended.

now, i'm not sure whether the tunze would solve your problem or not. are you sure your microbubbles are coming from the return pump? if so, you might want to think about a set of 2 or 3 interchangeable filter socks to catch water out of your drain line. that will help to quiet the drain-end of the sump as well as completely eliminate microbubbles.

What is the gaurantee? In my experience, corals that arrived in cloudy water were just a skeleton already. I would demand a full refund for that peice in your place.

the policy is to give store credit. the guy I talked to (Ming) said that they've never lost an aquacultured piece before, but that they've always attached the pieces to styrofoam blocks in the past (they didn't here because it was only a two coral order). but, you're right that this coral looks completely dead now, and the other piece (the ATL Ocean Blue Acropora Papillare) has some tissue recession on 2-3 of the bottom corallites. that tissue recession doesn't seem to be spreading, but i'm keeping my eye on it. any futher recession, and I may have to cut it and remount it, which would suck for a brand new coral.

in the meantime, all my other SPS are fine, and in light of the condition of the other coral, i'm not panicking that i have a water quality issue. i did add to the rowaphos i already have in the tank yesterday just to make sure i have phosphates under control (never had any measurable phosphates show up on tests done by myself or the LFS, but there's always a little bit of hair algae in the tank).

we'll see how it goes -- i called on Saturday and sent an email on Sunday morning to update them over the weekend. still waiting on a response there.

tundrashaul

Hey tim, is atlantis net the local Atlantis online retail.......if thats so your bad luck is suprising i have heard good things bout the local shop from you and many others

Hey tim, is atlantis net the local Atlantis online retail.......if thats so your bad luck is suprising i have heard good things bout the local shop from you and many others

nah, they're different. atlantisaquariums.net is in california. i think the local shop's internet page is like atlantisva.com or something (but they don't sell anything online).

since you mentioned it, local Atlantis is a great place to have available locally, and it has some -great- livestock in right now -- marvin (the owner) apparently brought some stuff back from LA with him. definitely worth taking a look if you've got some cash to spare. i'll tell you, based on a combination of this experience and the improvement of the selection locally, i will probably just buy from Atlantis from now on, or Fish World for larger colonies.

i run my 1073.020 "wide open" (so, the highest flow setting). the pump itself is absolutely silent ... ~2500gph total through the tank after head loss). highly, highly recommended.

Thanks for the info. My Tunze is not silent, so need to do some adjusting. I'm hoping to get about 2500 gph between return and PHs.

are you sure your microbubbles are coming from the return pump? if so, you might want to think about a set of 2 or 3 interchangeable filter socks to catch water out of your drain line. that will help to quiet the drain-end of the sump as well as completely eliminate microbubbles.

My bubbles are coming from drain. I've added a sock (has helped a lot) and LRR, but am still getting the bubbles from returns. Almost seems my flow is too strong - can watch bubbles travel from drain chmbr, thru fuge and into return chmber. More fiddling!

i like it quite a bit better because of the adjustable wedge pipe. i wish it had a bubble-plate rather than just the diffuser, but it does a good job as-is -- certainly enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade. and, i've definitely had better production with the bubble-magus than with the stock skimmer. that could have something to do with my stocking levels (which have gone up since i had the stock skimmer).

the only reason i wouldn't buy it again would be if i changed out my whole sump to make room for a bigger skimmer like the NAC-6.

What other sumps have you looked at that would work in this cabinet?

What other sumps have you looked at that would work in this cabinet?

none in particular. the cadlights pro build thread over on reefcentral has a couple guys who have switched their sump for something that looks to be custom (reeftivo, etc.). i don't know what i'd do, but i don't have any pressing reason to do that right now (nor money that i'd want to allocate to that).

Thanks for the info. My Tunze is not silent, so need to do some adjusting. I'm hoping to get about 2500 gph between return and PHs.

that's interesting -- what's not silent about yours? i've literally never had any trouble, other than when it came off the suction cups and started rattling on the sump.

the policy is to give store credit. the guy I talked to (Ming) said that they've never lost an aquacultured piece before, but that they've always attached the pieces to styrofoam blocks in the past (they didn't here because it was only a two coral order). but, you're right that this coral looks completely dead now, and the other piece (the ATL Ocean Blue Acropora Papillare) has some tissue recession on 2-3 of the bottom corallites. that tissue recession doesn't seem to be spreading, but i'm keeping my eye on it. any futher recession, and I may have to cut it and remount it, which would suck for a brand new coral.

in the meantime, all my other SPS are fine, and in light of the condition of the other coral, i'm not panicking that i have a water quality issue. i did add to the rowaphos i already have in the tank yesterday just to make sure i have phosphates under control (never had any measurable phosphates show up on tests done by myself or the LFS, but there's always a little bit of hair algae in the tank).

we'll see how it goes -- i called on Saturday and sent an email on Sunday morning to update them over the weekend. still waiting on a response there.

still hadn't heard anything from them as of yesterday afternoon, so i sent another email. still no response as of this morning. i wouldn't be quite so annoyed if they hadn't said they'd get back to me on sunday or monday. i'm going to call them if i haven't heard anything by the end of the day today.

that's interesting -- what's not silent about yours? i've literally never had any trouble, other than when it came off the suction cups and started rattling on the sump.

The pump just seems to vibrate. I've checked that it's on the cups, not touching sump walls and even moved it so tubing is not touching the cabinet or sump wall. I called Tunze to verify it's okay to run it thru the 1/2" returns, and they said it would be fine.

I've ordered a 1073.020 (in the hopes it helps with bubble issue) and will see (hear) if it's quieter than the one I have.

The pump just seems to vibrate. I've checked that it's on the cups, not touching sump walls and even moved it so tubing is not touching the cabinet or sump wall. I called Tunze to verify it's okay to run it thru the 1/2" returns, and they said it would be fine.

I've ordered a 1073.020 (in the hopes it helps with bubble issue) and will see (hear) if it's quieter than the one I have.

very unusual. i wonder if there's a problem with your impeller or something? i think the reviews of the pump on marine depot talked about someone getting the wrong-sized impeller on one of their pumps.

still hadn't heard anything from them as of yesterday afternoon, so i sent another email. still no response as of this morning. i wouldn't be quite so annoyed if they hadn't said they'd get back to me on sunday or monday. i'm going to call them if i haven't heard anything by the end of the day today.

got a one-line email response from Atlantis yesterday evening saying that they would give me store credit for the piece i lost. which is ok, except for the fact that shipping is $48. so, unless they're willing to ship something for free or let me qualify for free shipping with the replacement pieces i choose, i'm out that money. so, i hope they let me qualify for free shipping on the replacement. anyone see something good on atlantisaquarium.net that might be worth grabbing with my credit?

i removed the piece from my tank yesterday, as it had begun to grow some algae, and i didn't want it to further pollute the tank. easier than i thought to detach it, despite the fact that it was epoxied in place.

Archived