Top Shelf Aquatics

Jimbo's "Foot Long" Mini Monster cube!

wljimbo

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys! I did a little moving last night & had to cut a few things to make budget!

FTS 11/2/09

fishtank145.jpg

Mystic grape favia

fishtank123.jpg

Fungias

fishtank155.jpg

PD's

fishtank156.jpg

Gold paly

fishtank152.jpg

What should I name him? :huh:

fishtank140.jpg

Here's the little guy working his lure! :happy:

th_fishtank143.jpg

I can watch him for hours......

hey make sure u dont feed them freshwater shrimp because i did that with my wartskin and he got constipated and died. :( RIP

Hey thanks- I'm really sorry about your fish.

I've been reading up and that seems to be the #1 problem. How often did you feed him?

My fish doesn't like the frozen stuff, so I just ordered him some sw mysis.

I also tossed him a very small peppermint shrimp that's now MIA :lol:

What do you recommend is best for feeding?

Hey thanks- I'm really sorry about your fish.

I've been reading up and that seems to be the #1 problem. How often did you feed him?

My fish doesn't like the frozen stuff, so I just ordered him some sw mysis.

I also tossed him a very small peppermint shrimp that's now MIA :lol:

What do you recommend is best for feeding?

im pretty sure that i feed him FW ghost shrimp about once a week and i had a painted angler for about a year survive on the same stuff so maybe they are just more sensitive. Also i think mysis would be a good food choice for a small angler but if you can feed him pep shrimps id say feed him that because it more of a meal but those cost more money.

Hey Jimbo, you are off to an awesome start here. Quick question though. It looks like the PAR38 LED is about 12 inches off the water. Are you getting any dead space on the sides of your tank with it at that height? Also, if you moved it up 6 inches or so, would it dim significantly for the sake of covering the tank? I'm playing with the idea of using one to light a 15"x15" footprint that is 8" deep. Thanks for any info.

im pretty sure that i feed him FW ghost shrimp about once a week and i had a painted angler for about a year survive on the same stuff so maybe they are just more sensitive. Also i think mysis would be a good food choice for a small angler but if you can feed him pep shrimps id say feed him that because it more of a meal but those cost more money.

Well the live mysis are just not working out like I planned :angry: I added them to the fuge on my 12g and they’ve all but disappeared. The shrimps are just too small and I couldn't tell if my fish is eating them anyways! So I just placed an order w/ aquaculture store for some common shore shrimp & tiny mixed SW fish... Hopefully this will work a little better then the mysis

Hey Jimbo, you are off to an awesome start here. Quick question though. It looks like the PAR38 LED is about 12 inches off the water. Are you getting any dead space on the sides of your tank with it at that height? Also, if you moved it up 6 inches or so, would it dim significantly for the sake of covering the tank? I'm playing with the idea of using one to light a 15"x15" footprint that is 8" deep. Thanks for any info.

Hey thanks Gabe!

Ya as you can see from the pics the sides are a little shaded. I really love the light and the color is just amazing, but it does need to be mounted really high! Right now I have my light about 24” off the sand and (if I had a better fixture) I could definitely raise it a few more inches w/ out it dimming too much. I guess it just depends on what you’re trying to keep. For your size tank you may need 2 to get the best possible coverage.

Thanks Jimbo, appreciate the feedback. Due to a cabinet overhanging the tank, the highest it would be mounted off the tank is 24 inches. That means it might be too little light to affectively cover the tank. Unless I wanted the spotlight affect...

Might be just fine actually. I have mine mounted 30" from the sand and I get 130 PAR on the sandbed.

Looking good Jimbo. Glad you are liking the light.

This fish is just amazing to watch! Anyone got a good idea on what I should name him? :huh:

Here he is doing his macro impression! He's sitting on his tale w/ his head straight up…

fishtank219.jpg

Here fishy fishy

fishtank214.jpg

peek a boo

fishtank256.jpg

The little guy seems to be doing a lot better now that I’m feeding him live foods

I’m feeding him 3 small meals a week & will reduced feeding to 2 larger snacks a week when he gets a little bigger…

fishtank230-1.jpgfishtank228-1.jpg

Ima come steal your fishy. :ninja:

So where do you house his foodstuffs?

I'm really glad you came up with a workable solution, feeding is always an issue with Anglers.

Over the long run it would probably be a good idea to try to train him to eat frozen, but it's certainly not an immediate necessity.

• 3 weeks later...
Ima come steal your fishy. :ninja:

So where do you house his foodstuffs?

I'm really glad you came up with a workable solution, feeding is always an issue with Anglers.

Over the long run it would probably be a good idea to try to train him to eat frozen, but it's certainly not an immediate necessity.

His food is becoming a real pain, I’m really happy he’s eating, but hope he starts eating frozen soon...

I had the shrimp living in my 12g's fuge, but they all disappeared w/ in a week :(

I put the fish in a separate small tank, but most of them die before I got a chance to turn them into fish food

fishtank172.jpg

I love the new shots of the angler! The tank looks freeeaking great too.

Thanks man!

Any updates?

Hey sorry - my employer has been really cracking the whip lately & my home computer is about to die.

The tank's doing great, everything is growing w/ the exception of the SPS. I'm thinking about making a few small changes this weekend. I'll try to get a few new pics posted and some video if Mr. Wartskin decides to cooperate at feeding time!

fishtank266-1.jpg

your fish sooo cool!

:D

Thanks - your whole tank is soo cool! Any suggestions?

How hot is the par38 running in your light fixture? I saw it at target yesterday and was thinking about giving it try, I wonder if it's possible to grind down the cover?

How hot is the par38 running in your light fixture? I saw it at target yesterday and was thinking about giving it try, I wonder if it's possible to grind down the cover?

Heat doesn’t seem to be an issue at all. Only problem I’ve found is that the bulb seems to be a little heavy for the fixture and I have to keep tightening the screws.... Not sure about grinding the cover

• 2 weeks later...
Your angler is AWESOME!!!

I'm definetly voting for you! :)

How's the little guy doing?

Hey thanks animal, he seems to be doing great! He’s like a little ninja :ninja:

Everyday he takes a slow lap around the tank stopping to fish at all his favorite holes.

All while trying to blend in to whatever is around him. it’s really amazing to watch!

He’s definitely getting more comfortable and knows when it's feeding time.

fishtank300.jpg

fishtank337.jpg

Can you spot to peppermint shrimp? :o

fishtank346.jpg

fishtank338.jpg

animalmaster6
Hey thanks animal, he seems to be doing great! He’s like a little ninja :ninja:

Everyday he takes a slow lap around the tank stopping to fish at all his favorite holes.

All while trying to blend in to whatever is around him. it’s really amazing to watch!

He’s definitely getting more comfortable and knows when it's feeding time.

fishtank300.jpg

fishtank337.jpg

Can you spot to peppermint shrimp? :o

fishtank346.jpg

fishtank338.jpg

Those were some great pics!

Would u mind giving me a link to the contest thread so i can vote for you? I think their are more than 1 so i am a bit confused. Thanks!

I love your angler. Every time I see your thread I want another angler so badly. Have you tried feeding him warmed up Silver side halves? Or for your guy maybe quarters. My froggy would eat out of my hand which is still one of my favorite fish keeping memories.

I love your angler. Every time I see your thread I want another angler so badly. Have you tried feeding him warmed up Silver side halves? Or for your guy maybe quarters. My froggy would eat out of my hand which is still one of my favorite fish keeping memories.

That’s crazy, he ate right out of your hand! Do you have any old pics, I would love to see your froggy!

My little guy wants nothing to do w/ the feeding stick or anything that's been frozen. Did you actually warm up the silver sides or just thaw them out?

Archived