Pod Your Reef

Opy's BC29 Upgrade!

opy01

Well guess what i got to do last night. Yep, I got to live every reefers dream and rebuild my sump fuge. I got home to 4+ gallons of water on the floor. Luckely it was just my fuge and not my DT. I don't know what happened, it just sprang a leak. It was fine 2 nights ago then yesterday it was pouring water out. I will find out more today when i get all the sand out and into the new fuge. Luckely all my electronics are mounted on wood against the wall. The only real damage is the floor. I know have about 3 square feet of wood floor that is swelling on the edged of each piece of wood.

The new one is built and ready to go now. I siliconed it last night and this morning it seemed cured. I made some modifications to allow more room for the skimmer pump and I added another much needed bubble trap in the return pump chamber. Hopefully this one will last alot longer than the previous one.

Now I am just paranoid that my DT is going to star leaking.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! I just got everything back together. My fuge looks like crap now that the plants are just thrown in. They will settle eventually though. I think I had the tank on the stand crooked, thats the only thing I noticed. The entire right side was coming unsealed. The new one is centered perfectly. All the stuff fits so much better now with the new resized chambers. Thank goodness nothing was affected by this. I am thinking of putting a small power head in and setting up a float to turn it on in case anything happenes again. That way if the water stops pumping from the sump then at least a power head will keep it circulating.

On a brighter note, my office tank is doing alot better. The GSP is out again and I havent lost any more shrooms, in fact I got a new one. I will take a camera to work and take pics tomorrow.

Ouch, that sucks dude. Hey at least now you have the sump of your dreams, right? ;)

Well technically it's the same fuge but the chambers are resized to fit stuff better. So I guess you are right, fuge 2.0 is the sump/fuge of my dreams :lol: .

JAkcobNano has been begging peeps for a mantis for a looooong time lol. Love the classy ghetofied cabinet mod A+

Thanks! It was fun to do because I didnt really have to follow the instructions. I wish I knew about JAkcobNano Sunday, I already got rid of it lol.

so magic fuge destroyer, anything new?

lol nothing new besides fuge 2.0 and some green palys. I need to get a pic of them but they are on the sand right now and with the algae along the bottom inch of the tank the pics dont look that good. I am ordering a scraper to clean the areas that the magnet scrubber can't get to. At least when the fuge broke I was able to do some much needed cleaning of the overflow and other stuff.

Without 20 hermits in my tank and with the emerald crab gone it is way easier to feed my trumpet and brain corals. The brain ate 4 mysis last night but only one trumpet head was hungry. I also picked up some Rodi-Feast for my SPS since I have about 7 SPS now lol. The purple tricolor seems to still be red bug free and looks like it is heeling up nicely. It should be healed up in a couple of weeks and I will post old and updated pics to compare. I need to dip the two acros one more time today when I get home and they should be fine. That will be nice because I need to cut the frag plugs and mount them somewhere secure (they are just in the sand bed now).

I am going to try to make my office tank a mushroom and zoa frag tank. I plan on taking 1-2 polyps per zoa and putting them on rubble to see if I can get them to reproduce. The water in there is just about perfect. I have 2 different zoas now on rocks so I will see how long it takes to get some new growth.

+1 on the creative cabinet idea.... i would've prob. tried moving the whole system to the cabinet and f something up in the process...

beautiful pics btw.... what kind of camera are you using?

+1 on the creative cabinet idea.... i would've prob. tried moving the whole system to the cabinet and f something up in the process...

beautiful pics btw.... what kind of camera are you using?

Thanks! I am using a Canon 40D, Canon 100mm macro lens, 1.5x extender and a remote trigger so i don't touch the camera while shooting. I have to manually focus but for these shots its way easier and I get better focus.

On the cabinet I thought about moving everything over and having the sump/fuge inside and reworking the plumbing but like you said, I would f something up lol. This was the easiest way and I can still get to everything and when stuff breaks I just pull the cabinet away. I had to use silicone on the inside where I cut away because when water dripped down it started to swell some.

Ok here are 2 shots from my office tank. All the white dots on the back glass are coraline. It is spreading quite nicely. I need to arange the zoas better and put alot of them on the big rock. Eventually I will be moving one or two of each zoa to its own rock and hopefully have a few more frags.

IMG_5869.jpg

This pic doesnt do this shroom justice. The color is a real pail green and it looks awesome. Maybe I will take my good camera to work and take some good pick when i get my tank scraper and clean the fron glass better.

IMG_5868.jpg

Thanks. Actually it was my home tank that leaked but I got really lucky and caught it shortly after it happened. I was scared though because the salinity monitor said 0 and I thought the salt water leaked out and filled with RO. Turns out the probe is next to where the ATO was running and the actual tank was still at 1.023 when i shut everything off. It was a close call but we survived.

In a few days I will be posting updated pics of my purple tri-color to compare when I first bought it and now. It is almost all healed up and coloring up nicely. I just need to dip it one more time on Saturday when I get some more water from the LFS.

Thanks. I think I may have seen one red bug yesterday but I need to run to the LFS for more water to do one more dip. It is almost all healed up though. All the ends that had bone exposed are almost all covered back up now. It is coloring up quite nicely also despite the poor condition it was in when I bought it. It actually looks like a purple tri-color now instead of a brown acro lol.

The Ewok was my brother in laws doing lol. He pointed it out to us and now thats all we see. I dont think those shrooms like the light too much since they keep moving lower and lower out of the light.

Ok I found a new LFS thanks to Formula462. Thanks! I got a great deal on alot of shrooms and I even got a couple of palys stuck to the rock a shroom was on thrown in for free. Sorry, no pics of the shrooms yet since most of them went to the office today. I do however have a pic of the new addition to our tank. My wife fell in love with a tail spot blenny while I was looking at shrooms and zoas. I couldn't resist her face (my wife's and the blenny's both). So allow me to introduce our new member of the family Benny the blenny. He has found his spot and keeps it clean. It is right in view just behind my orange digi.

Benny the blenny

_MG_2439.jpg

Also here is an updated pic of my purple tri-color I have been nursing back to health

_MG_2431.jpg

Ok so Benny is making himself right at home. Both clowns are treating him like family too. They were all three out eating last night so I got a couple of shots.

_MG_2626.jpg

_MG_2624.jpg

_MG_2628.jpg

lol that was our favorite picture. That was 100% pure accident. I was just clicking as fast as possible while he was out and then went back to see what I got. That was one out of about 25 pics (most of them got deleted lol).

wow awesome build Opy , sorry to hear about your sump hopefully the new one will work out for you and yes springing a leak is also one of my worst fears especially having carpet in the room.

blizzardscout2

That would scare the pants off of me too if I had a salinity monitor reading 0! Your tricolor looks very good, I have an issue with my Green slimer, do you think dipping it would help? It's flesh is turning white from where it is attatched to the plug and is working its way up the coral.

That would scare the pants off of me too if I had a salinity monitor reading 0! Your tricolor looks very good, I have an issue with my Green slimer, do you think dipping it would help? It's flesh is turning white from where it is attatched to the plug and is working its way up the coral.

You have to be carefull about dipping. The stuff I got seems to be pretty safe. Iodine dips can cause rapid tussue degeneration (spelling?) but it has also been known to help. Do research on iodine and vitamine c dips also. It could be a parasite and the stuff I used should work pretty good.

Also if the flesh is turning white it may be bleaching. Can you tell it it is white flesh or if it is bone?

Love Benny! great pix opy :D

Thanks Maria! Benny is my wifes (can't you tell? ladies have better taste :lol: ) but the pics are all me :haha:

blizzardscout2

It looks to me like the flesh is turning white and then dieing leaving the bone behind. It started last week, I changed the flow so that it is directly towards it, but it seems that hasnt helped. I now have added a Koralia 1 and have kept the K nano in the tank in case I want to use it as well.

The dip I used isnt that much so it is worth a try. Mine had alot of bone showing on the tips and I dipped it and it is fine now. I am not saying it will cure your green slimer but I dont think it will hurt it any more than it is now.

wow i sure missed a lot but you do a very good job of updating your tank. very nice by the way! i love Benny too. you might want to take bulldozer out though. i think my version got hungry and ate my blenny. i came home one day and he was already being half way eaten! i also believe he ate my clown gobies.

Archived