Top Shelf Aquatics

Opy's BC29 Upgrade!

opy01

Aww! I do believe that they grow the tail back right?

Cornelious is handsome...what morph is he? I think mine have some carrot tail in em' :D

I will take some pix this week

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is any morph in him. He is just a plain old leopard gecko... although he is huge lol. Caspian is the same but he didn't get any calcium before I picked him up and I didn't know he had MBD (metabolic bone desease) before he broke his leg. It was downhill from there. after getting calium injections and anti biotic every month the MBD went away. Unfotunately not before damaging his spine so he cant really feel his back end and every time he sheds he keeps chewing and pulling even the good skin and pulls his re-grown tail off every 2-3 sheds. He sheds really well except I have to help him with his good back leg or he will just destroy it like he did the other. He is pitiful looking but he can haul butt after a super worm when he is hungry and he can put down 3-4 in one sitting sometimes. He even climbs on his decorations sometimes lol. I have a soft spot for poor animals that cant really help themselves and the pet store said I should just put him down. I never listened to anything they said ever again.

gecko1.jpg

Now that I have depressed everyone that is reading this I am going to bed lol.

Let me start out with my updates.

I got my new pumps in, one for the overlfow and also the powerhead for my bak-pak/fuge at the office. The overflow now has 0 problems and the pump is so quiet I never know if its running.

At the office I started out but trying to remove the old power head. That was a PITA! I thought it was glued in it was so tight. I finally destroyed part of it to get it out but luckely I have spare parts at home and the old power head is going in my spare parts pile anyways. The new one is a fricken power house. In fact it was so strong my whole tank was filled with buubles. After adjusting the air flow and moving my other PH it finally settled down. There is alot more flow in there now, in fact there is so much I lost a zoa and a small ric. I finally found the ric in a hole in the large rock. I had to pull the rock out of the sand and that made even more of a mess. The zoa may or may not return. It was barely hanging on a rock that I broke as it was so the whole fiasco this morning just was too much for it to handle. At least I found the ric and it's in a better spot till I can attach it to a rock.

Now on to my main problem. I commented to my wife how my tank looks kind of bland while I am waiting for things like my zoas, GSP and monti to fill in. She agreed and made me feel like I need to buy more. I need help figuring out what to put in a couple of spots. Here are pics of my tank, can you guys give me your opinions on what would look good in the empty spots?

This is the left side, I have the brain on the far left and the ricks (and one small purple shroom) on the rock in front. On the right of this pic is my zoas (more zoas to come) and GSP. I am going to remove the smaller rock next to the brain and move the larger one over some. What are one or two coral I should put on that larger rock up top?

_MG_2148.jpg

This is the right side, I have the zoas and GSP on the left of this pic and I am going to load it up with more zoas this weekend or next week. I have my monti in front of the GSP, shrooms on the right and trumpet coral below those. What should I put, if anything, below the monti on the ledge on the big rock and what should I put to the right of the trumpets?

_MG_2145.jpg

Here is a better pic of Emo. I just fead them and turned the pump back on so i got bubbles and crap all over the place so sorry about that. You can barely see his red gotee lol.

_MG_2165.jpg

Here is my rainbow monti when i first got it

_MG_1704.jpg

This was taken yesterday. What a change!

_MG_2144.jpg

can you guys give me your opinions on what would look good in the empty spots?

i couldnt find it in your thread, but what kind of lighting do you got? strong enough to house sps? if so, maybe some monti caps up top, or some acros... i think that'll kind give the tank a little more dimension

I gots lots o' LEDs on my tank B) . I think I wilI update my first thread to make it easier. I know the monti takes lots of light and mine seems to be doing great. Maybe a nice monti cap on the left on the big rock above my rics and a digi on the right side of the rock with my ricks since the rick on the right decided to move back to the sand lol. That sounds good. In fact I was just looking at Mr. Thingdoer's SPS thread and I am thinking about ordering a tennius, valida and slimer if he still has them. One or two of those would look great on the right side of the tank. What do you think?

Ok I picked up a purple tri-color and a couple of zoa rocks today. Now I need to organize the zoas. Pics will come later today when things open up more. I can also take some good pics now that I finally got my macro lense in that I ordered on the 19th of August.

Thanks. I will be spending most of tomorrow playing with my new macro lens so I will get a good one tomorrow. My tri-color is worrying me, it hasn't shown any polyps at all and alot of the tips are white. I will wait till tomorrow to worry too much. If it doesn't open then I will call the LFS where I got it and ask them. How long can they go without opening up? My monti was open in a matter of minutes after having it shipped to me.

Edit: I managed to get a shot with my flash this morning and I see small polyps on the tri-color. They are very dark so I am hoping they will color up under the LEDs like my monti did.

On a brighter note, last night after lights out I was looking for Bulldozer after rearanging a couple of rocks and I noticed something blue in my flashlight beem. To my surprise it was my blue mushroom coral I lost a long time ago. I guess either it came out while moving rocks or it was slowly making its way out of the crevice it got stuck in for some light.

Well I bought a sick SPS. Stupid thing has red bugs on it so I got some iodine dip. I dipped it then brushed it off with a tooth brush and still see one on it. Hopefully it will die soon. The instructions say to dip it again in two weeks. Alot of the tips are white but there are several that are still good. Hopefully with my clean water and good light it will make a come back. Here is a pic of a spot with a red bug. Tomorrow I will get a full shot of it without the slimy stuff all over the place.

_MG_2213.jpg

Here are the zoas I got Yesterday

_MG_2218.jpg

_MG_2219.jpg

_MG_2220.jpg

There are at least 4 different zoas on this rock and this was only half the rock. I cut it in half to take the other part to my office. I also cut part of the rock of red zoas off for my office.

_MG_2221.jpg

_MG_2222.jpg

_MG_2223.jpg

Ok as of this morning I have polyp extension on my acro. It not much but then again looking at pics online they aren't that big to begin with. Looking at it with a bright flashlight I didn't see any bugs but I will check later when the LEDs come on. I dip it again in 2 sundays to be sure the red bugs are gone. Hopefully, from what I've read, it will start growing and pic up some color within a week or so of getting rid of the bugs.

Ok last night I saw some really good polyps on the acro so I know its not in that bad of shape. I also saw several red bugs still running around. The iodine dip obviously did do jack crap so I searched this forum and found a thread about Revive Coral Cleaner. I will order that today and see how it does when it comes in. If it does good then i will be dipping all my coral in that before introduction. I also checked all my paramiters last night, I was supposed to do it Sunday but the holiday screwed me up. Everything was ok until I got to caclium, it was down to 380. It hasnt been that low since I first set up the tank. I had just changed my water on Saturday and it was at 440 the previous weekend. It looks like its time for bi-weekly checking and alot more dosing. I got it up to 420 last night but I didnt want to risk shocking the tank or anything so I will dose some more tonight and get it back up to 440-460. I guess that what I get for having 2 LPS and 2 SPS now... and I plan on getting a couple of more SPS too lol.

Updated pics of everything coming soon.

I got back to the office today, I haven't been here since Friday, and the water was a little low but everything seemed ok at first sight... until I noticed my lights were on too early. I checked my timer and instead of being on "auto" it was set to "on". My lights have been on in my office tank since Friday morning :o . I have them off now and will turn them on in a couple of hour so they can have some peace and then a little light before this evening. Half of my zoas were closed and all my shrooms and rics were shrunk. I feel horrible! Of course on a brighter note my cheato has grown. I pulled it from my home tank where it never grew, probly because of my caulerpa.

Here is the entire acro in my home tank. It has what appears to be tissue loss on some of the tips but does not seem to be getting worse and it has lots of branches that seem fine. I am hoping after getting rid of the red bugs it will make a full recovery.

_MG_2239.jpg

Ok I got my rainbow monti on August 14. I posted pics above but this is one as of last night with my macro lens. I was playing with all the different settings trying to see what the difference was and all of them seemed to be a bit "soft" (or as my dad says, blury lol). I noticed when I hit the remote button the camera shakes just the slitest bit due to mirror slap (the SLR mirror lifting to expose the chip to take the image). I have always wanted to try the mirror lockup function and it actually made a difference. Once I manually focussed I hit the button once and the mirror lifts up and stays, then I hit the button again and it takes the picutre and lowers the mirror again. No vibration anymore :happy: . Here is my result. It actually looks like a superman monti now doesnt it? lol

_MG_2252.jpg

Thanks. I dont know if the iodine dip just takes a while but I got new stuff coming in today or monday that should get rid of them once and for all. Other than the few bugs that are left on there the acro is coloring up nicely and all the polyps are showing decent extension. These LEDs seem to do some crazy things to the coral.

Thanks! I got home today and fed the clowns and I noticed the LPS looked hungry. I fed my brain coral 3.5 mysis and found half a mysis and offered it to my trumpet coral. This is what happened

mmmmm yummy!

_MG_2259.jpg

_MG_2260.jpg

Gulp

_MG_2262.jpg

_MG_2264.jpg

_MG_2265.jpg

BURP!

_MG_2267.jpg

Militant Jurist
BURP!

_MG_2267.jpg

:lol:

lol thanks. I tried to feed the other head but if I am not there for at least 30 minutes the hermits climb up and steel it out of their mouths.

Hermits are the devil.

You got that right! I felt bad the first few times I had to nock them off the coral but I have since become numb to their suffering. Like they are suffering, they get scraps of mysis my clown dont eat plud brine plus cyclop-eaze than floats to the bottom. You would think they had their fill lol. Personaly I feel they are organising and planning their assults :scarry: .

I ordered some coral yesterday. It will be shipped Monday and get here Tuesday. I am getting a monti cap, a digi, a slimer and a tennius. I just got my calcium suppliment so I think I am ready lol. I will have new FTS by Wednesday.

Militant Jurist
Personaly I feel they are organising and planning their assults :scarry: .

:ninja:

That's why I put my hermit in solitary confinement (the sump).

I thought about that, in fact I got sent a few freebies and now there are too many in the tank. I am just not sure what they would do to my caulerpa. It is pretty packed in there. I was also thinking of sending about 5 of them back to the LFS with about 50 of the dwarf ceriths for store credit.

ha I just don't like the idea of hermit crabs to begin with, although of late I want to chop up my pep shrimps and "feed them to the fishes".

but seriously, one of them was buggin my high fin, and they can be real buggers.

And a FTS?

Yea the hermits keep crap cleaned up and they are less anoying than peps. In fact both peps I had were stupid and killed themsleves in the sump pump and power head. Then again any cleaner can be anoying. The only one that doesnt bug all my stuff is my nassarius snails. My emerald crab destryed my anthalia and dig at my brain coral trying to get the shrimp it just ate. I just gotta make sure the cleaners get food first of they steal... even then it doesnt help all the time lol.

Front tank shot (FTS) coming on Wednesday when my new coral is in and settled.

Archived