Innovative Marine Aquariums

Opy's BC29 Upgrade!

opy01

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I tried to feed the other trumped head again and the stupid hermits ended up helping my nock it over. Needless to say the trumpet would not eat after that. Three of the larger hermits are now in my fuge :rant: .

Militant Jurist
Well I tried to feed the other trumped head again and the stupid hermits ended up helping my nock it over. Needless to say the trumpet would not eat after that. Three of the larger hermits are now in my fuge :rant: .

emo_gavel.gif

Guilty!

This is why there will be no crabs in my tank. But they're so cute...

CRAP! The incident last week where my office tank had the lights on from Friday morning to Wednesday morning killed one of my rics and the other is shrinking. I moved it into a large cave area so it is not directly under the lights. I hope this helps because I dont know what else to do. Is there anything that will help?

As of Friday my params were

amonia, nitrites and nitrates 0

pH 8.2

SG 1.024

Alk 11

calcium 460

temp 77.7

I would imagine that just having a normal photoperiod should solve the problem. Parameters look fine from what I can tell... but having the lights on for 5 days would likely kill most corals.

It's been back on a normal photoperiod since last Wednesday evening. I put the ric in some shade so hopefully it will recover. The pink one is gone though :tears: . If it doesnt recover then that tank will be a zoa/shroom tank only (with some GSP). I also noticed that one of my smaller shrooms is withering away also. All the rest of the shrooms and all the zoas are doing great though.

(this is my office tank, just shrooms, zoas, 1/2 a ric, snails, hermits and a mythrix crab)

Well the second ric is still slowly disapearing. I do not want to take it home in case it spreads. Along with the rics one small brown mushroom is almost gone and another just developed a spot on the edge of it that looks like a burned area. I am monitoring it to see if it gets worse. The other 8 shrooms are opened wide as can be and looks great. Also I have a large spot and 1 small spot of GSP. The large spot has been closed up all day but the small spot is still ok. I have 10 rocks with zoas on them, anywhere from 1 to 25 zoas per rock, and they are all opened wide and look great. I will see if I can get some pics of the shrooms and ric on Thursday when I return.

My one small encrusting SPS in there is a yellow/green color but there is a small spot that just appeared last night or this morning that is a light color now. I dont know if it is bad or not.

Also all of my snails and my mythrix crap are in great health but I did find a dead hermit yesterday.

Thanks. Maybe we can work a trade, you buy the LED parts and I will build it for you in trade for some nice frags fingerscrossed:lol: . There are times that my wife wishes I didn't DIY, sometimes it costs more than just buying it :bling: ... but thats just not near as fun :haha: . I do have a blast building things though, it's just that sometimes it takes me a loooooong time.

Here is Cornelious before the cabinet was done. I will have to look for a pic of Caspian, he was the sickly one and now he is an amputee (missing one back leg and no tail :( ).

IMG_5854.JPG

opy, ill take u up on that LED build offer!! :P

opy, ill take u up on that LED build offer!! :P

DONE! I have all the tools and skills, you order all the equipment and I can have it done in a few days. If you are serious just PM me :D . If you're screwing with me then you owe me a coral just for the heck of it :haha: .

New FTS WOOHOO! Quick update first though. I ordered some "Revive Coral Cleaner" from Dr Fosters & Smith and it came in yesterday. Yesterday I dipped my acro for 5 minutes basically stirring it around in the water to keep the water moving (you can use an air stone also). 18 hours later I got no red bugs! I also dipped my other acro just to be sure. They both are doing great today with no signs of bug at all. I will keep an eye on them over the next few day looking for bug from hatched eggs. Some areas that looked like tissue damage on the ends look like they are growing over nicely now. In a couple of weeks they should be mostly healed up.

I also go my corals in from Mr. Thingdoer and they are all very healthy and happy... except the monti cap that broke when I was trying to cut the plug down some. I now have two monti caps lol. They both had polyp extension so they cant be too mad. I am monitoring my calcium alot more now too.

_MG_2310.jpg

How many people do you know with an Ewok coral?

_MG_2310-1.jpg

Hmm, almost looks like a baby mantis shrimp. How big is it?

Oh, hey... just noticed the Ewok thing (though I'd say Winnie the Pooh is closer ;) ). Those are some nice rics!

Thanks for the heads up guys. After much searching I finally found the Gulf of Mexico mantis shrimp. The pics look almost just like mine. I feel bad for killing it so does anyone want a mantis lol?

LOL thanks for noticing BlueAbyss. My brother in law said it looked like an ewok and now that all we see when we look at it lol. In the pic I posted it does look more like pooh though.

The mantis shrimp has been taken care of. This makes me wonder what else is in my rocks :scarry: .

I took back 10 hermits and my emerald crab to the LFS yesterday. The emerald was pinching off bits of my acros so I decided to get rid of him. This will make feeding the brain and trumpet alot easier too because the emerald and hermits steel the mysis.

I have lots of pics. Lets start out with my cabinet mod.

It started out looking like this

_MG_2377.jpg

Then I bought a babinet for a 20G and modded it

_MG_2376.jpg

_MG_2378.jpg

Now it looks like this

_MG_2379.jpg

Here are my two clowns... clowning around :haha:

_MG_2388.jpg

_MG_2399.jpg

Looks really great :) Wow, a mantis shrimp... that tops my most recent discovery of a tan colored crab with red eyes. :scarry: He's smooth though, so I think I may just trap him later on when I get my 'fuge going.

Anyhow everything looks pretty happy!

Thanks! They seem to be very happy. Here are some nice close-ups

Green Slimer

_MG_2354.jpg

Monti Cap

_MG_2355.jpg

Orange Digi

_MG_2356.jpg

Hydnophora

_MG_2362.jpg

_MG_2363.jpg

Blue/Green Tennius

_MG_2365.jpg

Purple Tri-Color

_MG_2366.jpg

Gorilla Nipples

_MG_2368.jpg

Fat Brain

_MG_2371.jpg

Nice job with the cabinet! That's a pretty creative idea. :D

Thanks alot! My wife made a comment about how my office tank looks better than the house so I had to come up with something. She is much happier now :D . Also thanks for the heads up on the identification thread, I got a quick responce out of a new one. Stupid mantis shrimp.

Archived