Innovative Marine Aquariums

dp's 5.5, update pg11.

dpnano

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people say they cause house fires but they have stepped up their game. There was a thread a little while ago, I think Mr. Fosi and some mods said they had gotten better.

well here are some pics of everything opened up (well mostly everything ;) ) and my fishy :)

id?

IMG_3262.jpg

fts.

IMG_3263.jpg

not opened but some kind of zoa?

IMG_3264.jpg

yellow star ployp

IMG_3265.jpg

random zoas??

IMG_3266.jpg

white clove

IMG_3267.jpg

orange zoas?

IMG_3268.jpg

WHAT IS THIS???????

IMG_3269.jpg

gsp not opened, doesn't look healthy looks kinda brown :(

IMG_3270.jpg

yellow star ployp

IMG_3271.jpg

brown palys

IMG_3272.jpg

fishy :)

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3275.jpg

%90 of corals from xiong aquatics :) gelp me id the few i dont know please

thanks

CrownOfficial

looks good, try getting some clearer pictures, take them from far away with everything in focus then zoom in on the picture

thanks i couldn't figure out how to take the good pictures :( but i'll try ur method

i have a canon power shot a520 only 4mega pixels :( need a new camera

xiongaquatics
oh darn do stores sell them? the BSI IC gell

i dont know. you can check. it might be up in the $10 or so. other online store sell for like $6-$9 each. pm me if you interest in some.

corals look good man.

Try to steady the camera on an object when taking pics if you don't have a tripod. Turn the flash off and leave the lights in the room off.

looks good, try getting some clearer pictures, take them from far away with everything in focus then zoom in on the picture

well got the pics :)

heres we go

fts

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

equipment corner :)

IMG_3313.jpg

stand compartment 3 emty gallons one for FW, one SW, want Waste Water, a little bucket, fliter floss, and sand all in the stand,

any ideas on a diy fuge? like i've seen bread box fuge something i can just find in the house like plastic bucket or something? i dont want to make the hole glass or acrylic box etc. too much work lol

and then i could put a light over it for cheato :) thanks jacob, and i wouldn't need a ac70.

IMG_3317.jpg

and 2 more questions

what is another fish i could add? im thinkin goby but i know about the bioload and that probbaly wouldn't be too good.??

and if i do add a fuge type thing under my tank could i add another fish? woulnd't it help the bioload? or is it just swimming area that matters?

Actually, you could only add another damsel. That fish you have is going to get about 4 inches long and is going to be mean as hell. Maybe you could get away with something that occupies the sand bed, I just personally woudln't risk it.

You could technically make a fuge out of any thing, as long as it holds water and doesn't leak light in to the main tank. It would help with bioload, but like I said, your fish is going to be a big mean SOB.

ha thanks phychosis, yeah i found a plastic container 18x10x9 i think around 2 to 3 gallons maybe?? idk guessed lol and i could easily fit that in the cabinet and i could have a intake and return with my maxi jet, and i could put all my stuff in there so my display looks nice and i wouldn't need the hob.

i could put filter floss, cheato, carbon what else in the fuge?

and i'd put just a regular lamp bulb over the cheat probbaly for good growth :)

yeah very true that guy would be a beast lol but if i give him back to my lfs what 2 fishes could i put in there? 2 clowns?? i've always wanted a pair of clowns and i wanted to upgrade to a 10 but then i'd need a new light :(

but would 2 falses be okay in that if i do a good size fuge? or no

When you're talking clowns, that's when swimming area becomes a concern over bioload.

As for your lighting, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I'm technically only running 36 watts of t5 over my tank. It's hardly a traditional 10, but I think you could upgrade to the ten and upgrade your lights when you get in to coral with higher light requirements. Withe the coral you have now, there wouldn't be any problems with 36 watts of light.

What you have planned for the fuge is a preety solid combo, you shouldn't need any thing more.

2 clowns and 1 stripe damsel in your tank would be on the extreme side of too much bio-load for your tank. I would check out Lgreens guide to fish for nano reef tanks. I don't have the link handy, but it seems to be a respectable chart of what you can and cannot do.

yeah thats what i was thinking about clowns thats its more area consern then bioload,

but im going out to vacition by myself so i'll have my dad take care of my tank im going from the 30th to the 14th :) but when i come back ill probbaly upgrade, and when i do upgrade i can put 2 clowns right? and maybe another small fish?

and then id have a spare 5.5 so i could just turn that into a fuge with a cf light :).

do u think its converting to 10g do-able in 2 days, before i leave? i dont want something to go wrong when im gone and my dad not knowing what to do? bc wouldn't it have to cycle again or not?, im going to put everything from my 5.5 in there water, sand, rock but i would need more water and sand.

i kidna want to do it tommorow and monday bc the day im coming back im going to some fish store in St louis after i leave the airport and they have some good deals on LR which i cant find localaly, they have 2.50 a poound i think and then i'd know how much i need for my 10?

Well essentially you're just transferring your all ready cycled rock in to a larger aquarium. There should be little to no cycle, just be sure you dont leave the rock exposed to air to long. I'd also be caeful with the sand bed. Your tank is young, so it shouldn't be an issue, moveing sand at all just kind of worries me.

When you do get around to getting more rock, be sure to cycle it in a bucket before adding it.

With a 10, you can do two clowns and maybe a small goby, as long as you stock slowly and you're very dilligent about keeping your water quality up. The 3 stripe damsel will have to go, how ever.

yeah, so should i just get new sand? or just move the existing sand?

well do with the rock.

yeah thats what i was thinking fish wise 2 clowns and a goby, and by stocking slowly u mean one fish at a time right?

and yeah damsel would have to go :(

Ya +1 that damsel has gotta go. Hey if you are gonna get rid of that light I will take it hahaha. You can have two clowns, just prepared for water changes and more bioload. Just feed every other day and you should be ok with my cheato.

Ah don't feel to bad about the damsel man. He would have out grown the tank any way, probably after killing a few new comers.

Like I said, I'm just paranoid about sand. Tanks crash after big moves because the sand bed was disturbed all the time. But, thats generally with year old tanks. Your tank is young, like I said, so it SHOULDNT be an issue, but it could be.

ha yeah i'll probbaly go pick up a 10 tommorow, my dads always like get 2 clownfish, nd im like u cant in a 5.5 so his like go get a 10 lol idk what my mom well say when i got the 5.5 the lady at petcos like the 10's cheaper im like no its all good so my moms like just get the 10, im like no lol but nwo i want one haha

so im probbaly not going to do the hole sump thing right now maybe when i come back but if i do have time maybe in the next 2-3 days,

how would i go about making this hole setup i know about all the chambers etc. but would i need an overflow? what exactly is a overflow? would my maxi jet 400 b enough for return?

An overflow is a thing that keeps your house from having flood dmage. It keeps the level the same, as in doesn't let anything overflow lol. You could always make a DIY PVC overflow, I can explain how one works if you want.

Archived