I just put in an order with Reefcleaners for the following:

34 - Dwarf Cerith Snails

11 - Florida Cerith Snails

11 - Nerite Snails

...I'm excited!

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having micro bubble problems? Here's a solution that I found to work.

Problem: As water falls from the skimmer and tank drains it causes air bubbles to form as it splashes down. When the water coming from the skimmer and tank drain are directed toward the sump baffle it forces this bubbly water through the baffles in great concentration.

Solution: In your front left chamber where the skimmer and tank drains are you need to adjust the skimmer drain so it goes all the way to the left, then put the tank drain hose all the way to the left of that in between the skimmer drain and the sump wall.

Why this works: Allowing a slower movement of this bubbly water in the direction of the baffles allows the bubbles to rise up to the top of the chamber before getting through the baffle. This causes a much higher water level in this chamber due to a great concentration of bubbles in the water that are rising to the top. There are significantly less bubbles that actually make it through the first baffle and the remainder seem to dissipate before they make it into the return pump chamber.

My setup: I should note that I have my first chamber setup as follows (from bottom to top) 4" of LR Rubble, 1 filter floss, 1 bag of chemi-pure, 3 filter floss.

The order ended up shipping on monday. I went with 2-3 day shipping, so I think it will get here tomorrow or Thursday. John tried to ship out last week, but he got bombarded. In the mean time my turbos are eating and pooing all over the place.

CUC arrived yet?

Did you try my microbubble solution? I'm curious if it helped you any.

The order ended up shipping on monday. I went with 2-3 day shipping, so I think it will get here tomorrow or Thursday. John tried to ship out last week, but he got bombarded. In the mean time my turbos are eating and pooing all over the place.

Did you try my microbubble solution? I'm curious if it helped you any.

i do appreciate the suggestion, and i will certainly give it a shot. however, with adding the livestock and dealing with my GFCI issue, I haven't had the time to work on it over the past few days. i'm hoping to get to it before the weekend.

incidentally, remember our conversation in this thread about electrical equipment inside the cabinet? i've been reading about GFCI/electrical issues this morning, and i happen to come across this, talking about salt creep getting into electrical outlets and causing fires (not necessarily related to a lack of drip loop because it seems like salt can creep up).

pay particular attention to post #37. yikes. just thought i'd share!

edit: sad sidenote, this is the exact same kind of power trip i am using. :scarry:

i do appreciate the suggestion, and i will certainly give it a shot. however, with adding the livestock and dealing with my GFCI issue, I haven't had the time to work on it over the past few days. i'm hoping to get to it before the weekend.

incidentally, remember our conversation in this thread about electrical equipment inside the cabinet? i've been reading about GFCI/electrical issues this morning, and i happen to come across this, talking about salt creep getting into electrical outlets and causing fires (not necessarily related to a lack of drip loop because it seems like salt can creep up).

pay particular attention to post #37. yikes. just thought i'd share!

edit: sad sidenote, this is the exact same kind of power trip i am using. :scarry:

Tim,

Thanks for that article. I have come across a few like that, but what I notice is most of those guys had rats nests going on under their cabinets. I think the way I have my wires going out behind the cabinet prevents any salt creep from making its way to my PC4. Also, I don't use a GFCI strip. I actually installed a 20A GFCI outlet in the wall. Were these guys even using GFCI's? Certainly a fire starting would have tripped it?

Edit: Read Post #60. He didn't even have a GFCI installed. I can't imagine having a tank with that much electrical and not using a GFCI. The GFCI Outlet was the first thing I installed before the tank even arrived. In every case I have read about an aquarium fire there was never a GFCI installed.

That thread goes on to talk about a lot of things -- i think what some of those people with electrical backgrounds were saying is that the salt spray (which has, for instance, rusted both my and mkreg's hinges), salt creep, humidity, etc. was all contributing, and that they weren't sure that an arc caused by salt water would be tripped by GFCI. in addition, i felt like the consensus was that an arc breaker (like the one you linked to) would also not necessarily prevent the fire (they called it unsuitable for this application). See Post #152 ("ARC fault breakers are not suitable for this application. They are very prone to nuisance tripping. Thre is no way that they would be stable with pumps and ballasts turning on and off."). that same post goes on to say "NEVER put power strips inside of the stand or where water can splash on them. If you MUST put them inside of a stand, you need to build a moisture proof box that seals the strip and cords from the humidity."

That particular user has made over 16,000 posts on reefcentral, which obviously doesn't make him an expert on electricity, but it certainly indicates that he's experienced and has "seen some things."

This is all just FYI. I am apparently looking for any excuse for you to take that strip out of your cabinet. :D

That thread goes on to talk about a lot of things -- i think what some of those people with electrical backgrounds were saying is that the salt spray (which has, for instance, rusted both my and mkreg's hinges), salt creep, humidity, etc. was all contributing, and that they weren't sure that an arc caused by salt water would be tripped by GFCI. in addition, i felt like the consensus was that an arc breaker (like the one you linked to) would also not necessarily prevent the fire (they called it unsuitable for this application). See Post #152 ("ARC fault breakers are not suitable for this application. They are very prone to nuisance tripping. Thre is no way that they would be stable with pumps and ballasts turning on and off."). that same post goes on to say "NEVER put power strips inside of the stand or where water can splash on them. If you MUST put them inside of a stand, you need to build a moisture proof box that seals the strip and cords from the humidity."

That particular user has made over 16,000 posts on reefcentral, which obviously doesn't make him an expert on electricity, but it certainly indicates that he's experienced and has "seen some things."

This is all just FYI. I am apparently looking for any excuse for you to take that strip out of your cabinet. :D

Haha, I don't mind, because I know you've got my best interest in mind. I will rethink things this weekend and see about more careful placement of the strip. Thanks for your persistence. I know I am a stubborn guy. ;)

I was viewing my sump and churning my Chaeto this morning and I began hearing a weird electrical whirring noise, then "dzzzt...POP!" my fuge light let out a small puff of smoke and was gone. :scarry: I should point out my fuge light was having trouble from the beginning. That's the last time I will give any extra chances to anything plugged into an electrical outlet. Electrical + Water = scary.

Tim, if there was only a way I could mount the fuge light from outside the cabinet! :D

Did I mention the weird smell that occurred afterwards...

...I think the popping sound was an internal fuse that blew.

I put in an email to Eddie. Originally when it was having issues he said they would send me out a new one. I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a warranty issue.

I put in an email to Eddie. Originally when it was having issues he said they would send me out a new one. I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a warranty issue.

ha, i would hope so.

you're right about water + electricity = scary. what kind of fool mixes salt water with electricity, anyway??

oh, right. everybody here. :owned:

I was viewing my sump and churning my Chaeto this morning and I began hearing a weird electrical whirring noise, then "dzzzt...POP!" my fuge light let out a small puff of smoke and was gone. :scarry: I should point out my fuge light was having trouble from the beginning. That's the last time I will give any extra chances to anything plugged into an electrical outlet. Electrical + Water = scary.

Tim, if there was only a way I could mount the fuge light from outside the cabinet! :D

Did I mention the weird smell that occurred afterwards...

...I think the popping sound was an internal fuse that blew.

Hey the same exact thing happened to my fuge light :o!! That smell was so weird..I cant imagine it coud be good for the lungs.I dont plan to get another im going to go with a different fuge light

I think your fuge light blowing is a blessing in disguise. I just recently replaced mine with a good ole 26W spiral bulb and a basic clip on fixture and the growth difference is quite dramatic.

I think your fuge light blowing is a blessing in disguise. I just recently replaced mine with a good ole 26W spiral bulb and a basic clip on fixture and the growth difference is quite dramatic.

Hrmmm...details, details. Can you gimme a link for the clip fixture you bought and the bulb...I am seriously considering this...

BTW, you know you're a reefing fanatic when you find yourself churning Chaeto at 6:30 in the morning...

ha, i would hope so.

you're right about water + electricity = scary. what kind of fool mixes salt water with electricity, anyway??

oh, right. everybody here. :owned:

Of course, all this had to occur right after our discussion about fire hazards. :o

Of course, all this had to occur right after our discussion about fire hazards. :o

i'm just saying, mixing salt water with electricity sounds dangerous...! :unsure:

:lol:

I failed to mention that my CUC from Reef Cleaners came yesterday! It was shipped from Florida on Monday and got to LA on Wednesday! Amazing. BTW, whoever does the work over there needs some counting lessons......because I definitely got way more than I ordered :D

This morning I found one of my snails at the foot of my cabinet sump....I quickly pulled him off the ground and threw him in the tank....not sure if he will make it or not...

I stuck him in the sump because my yellow tip hermit crab made a B-line for him yesterday and showed a little too much interest in his shell....meaning he began extraction...so I grabbed the snail and threw him in the sump..

I just put in an order with Reefcleaners for the following:

34 - Dwarf Cerith Snails

11 - Florida Cerith Snails

11 - Nerite Snails

...I'm excited!

...What I ended up getting was:

50+ - Dwarf Cerith Snails

15 - Florida Cerith Snails

11 - Nerite Snails

thread sucks without pics

Agreed. Here are some pics to cheer you up. ;)

Here's the new aquascape (as of yesterday)

PA080020.JPG

Also, I realized I had some deadspots going on so I moved my powerheads about 2/3rds down and angled them up and towards the middle of the tank and now I have amazing flow all around the tank.

PA080021.JPG

PA080022.JPG

Here's a bristle worm...

PA050037.JPG

Here's a turbo snail making a leap of faith from one rock to another...

PA050039.JPG

Here is the turbo snail cleaning center...

PA070041.JPG

PA070042.JPG

PA070044.JPG

Does anyone know what the orange thing in this pic is?

PA080023.JPG

PA080024.JPG

Here's some LR, Macro, and dwarf cerinths...

PA080025.JPG

PA080027.JPG

Oh, hey, so I forgot to mention that my Nerite snails seem to like to hang out outside of the tank. I found one this morning hanging out in my cabinet and a few others were just chillin on the top of the tank. Is this normal? Should I expect to find dead Nerites around the house from time to time?

Hrmmm...details, details. Can you gimme a link for the clip fixture you bought and the bulb...I am seriously considering this...

Well I bought my fixture from HD. Similar to these I suppose. Another user on here used this. Any one similar to these will do.

The bulb is also from HD. Something like this. Just make sure it's the proper spectrum.

I originally bought a new light for the fuge because mine was flaky since I first got it. It would randomly turn off, I would then tap it and it would flick back on, then go out again. After dealing with this for a couple of weeks I just went out and picked up the clip on. The chaeto growth is way, way quicker with the 26W bulb, I'm now cutting it back every week and wishing I had a bigger fuge.

I noticed I have a bit of detritus buildup in my fuge...I threw a few dwarf cerinths and a nerite in there. as well there are 2 pencil urchins in there...any ideas on what else should go in there? How do I keep it detritus free?

Archived